Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is Scanning an option?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:37 pm 

Is there a way to scan music into ScoreWriter6? I have an 11 page score that needs to be transposed and the thought of having to key it into the program will be tedious, to say the least. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:43 pm 

There are no scanning features currently. A third party scanner that saves to a midi file could be used, and then import the midi to ScoreWriter.

Post subject: Requirments
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:42 pm 
HiStel wrote:
Is there a way to scan music into ScoreWriter6? I have an 11 page score that needs to be transposed and the thought of having to key it into the program will be tedious, to say the least.

What do i need to get this to work? :wink:

Post subject: Score Scanning
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:17 pm 

I regularly scan multipage 4 part recorder scores with very good success. The results depend greatly on the quality of the original but I am always surprised at the accuracy even with not so good originals.

I use a Canon scanner with Sharpeye 2 musical character recognition software. I import the resulting midi file into Scorewriter for final cleanup and any desired transposition.

Sharpeye will also creat an XML file so I'm hoping Scorewriter 3 will accept XML imports.

Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:19 pm 

JohnD wrote:
There are no scanning features currently. A third party scanner that saves to a midi file could be used, and then import the midi to ScoreWriter.

Overture 4 reads XML, right? A couple of scanning programs write XML.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:34 am 

Scanning, in the past, was a real disappointment for me. I've spent thousands on scanning products over the years hoping that upgrades would have fixed the problem-- to no avail.

But, recently, I tried SharpEye 2... and, I'm very impressed by how much time it's been saving me.

http://www.visiv.co.uk/index.htm

It's quite inexpensive compared to the other products I own. It's not perfect; but, it is the first scanning product that I think actually performs well enough to be useful.

Even with the cleanup that can be required, I estimate that I can complete a song entry in about 1/3 the time that it takes to do it manually since I do not enter using a keyboard. If you can enter using a keyboard I don't think that SharpEye, or any scanning software, is going to save you much time.

One of the tests that made me a believer involved scanning in a Dover Miniature Series score. This series is SMALL and meant to be used by those attending an event that want to follow the performance with a small score. Scanning it at 1200 DPI, to account for the smaller notes, actually worked!

Finally, download the latest patches so that you can use the MusicXML format for exporting and importing. The results are MUCH improved over trying to import the same scanned score in MIDI format.