Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Some choral works
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:34 pm 
Rambo User

There's various choral stuff on my site, all done in Encore or Overture 3 - I've got OVE copies of everything now. Any of you (probably to the west of the pond) who were brought up on Gelett Burgess might be interested in "The Knave of Hearts" and "The Purple Cow" - so I've just uploaded OVE versions of these pieces (please use the PDFs if you want to print them, though, as these contain the cover sheets that can't be done in Overture).

Direct to the music - http://www.johnkilpatrick.co.uk/music/index.htm
Home page - http://www.kilp.co.uk

Last edited by John Kilpatrick on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:41 am 
Super User

Hi John,

"the knave of hearts" - nice work, could knave also mean "pawn"?
Have you ever tried to record your choral works, e.g. with samples of Peter Siedlaczeks Extended Choir" and a sampler (GigaStudio, Kompakt or Kontakt)?

:-) Jovan

Post subject: Knave of Hearts
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:09 am 
Rambo User

Hello, Jovan

Thanks for your nice comment - just occasionally I get a complimentary message from thin air, but usually from someone who says "they'd like to do my music but it's too difficult". The Knave of Hearts has been performed in a competition in Indonesia: they didn't win.

I hope you liked the "musical joke" - a change of key signature every bar in the middle section. So here is an Overture question: if I wanted to transpose the whole work in Overture, how would I do that? so far as I know, I'd have to alter each key signature in turn with the tranpose box ticked. There ought to be a way of automatically doing the whole piece, key signatures and all.

I don't think anyone English thinks of "knave" meaning "pawn". In cards, knave and jack are synonyms (everyone normally saying jack). In general use, a knave is a rogue, a dodgy character, but not evil - rather like the character in the poem. In England very few people know the game of euchre (I dont'!), and "right bower" would always need explanation.

I don't know anything about the software you mention - I'll try looking it up. Without the words, I'm not convinced that anything would be any better than "piano" for unaccompanied choral, but I'd be glad to hear other views.