Overture 4 vs. 5

General Overture 4 Discussion.
Jon Grier

Overture 4 vs. 5

Post by Jon Grier »

Is any one besides me soldiering on with Overture 4.15? I just cannot warm up to version 5... opening version 4 files is a train wreck, chord symbols are an awkward mess, and it just seems less straightforward in general. Maybe I haven't given it a fair chance, but every time I have tried I give up in frustration. I am fluent and - for the most part - satisfied with version 4. But Apple has me between a rock and a hard place with system upgrades... I cannot go past 10.14.6 (Mojave), lest I get into 64-bit territory and am forced to use version 5. I have thousands of files in version 4 - everything I have written since 1996. I am completely naïve about such things, but how hard would it be to code a 64-bit version of Overture 4? Thanks for any insights or sympathy.
Last edited by Jon Grier on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Re: Overture 4 vs. 5

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Hey Jon,

I loved using Overture 4 as well, and I realize it doesn't necessarily help you by saying that it's time to upgrade and move forward with things...so...

It's been a while for me, and I use PCs, but the way I remember getting Overture 4 to work in/with a 64-bit environment (and with 64-bit libraries) was to have a separate system (computer) for Overture 4, and additional upgraded computers (or a single upgraded computer) with a different software hosting program for 64-bit sample libraries (like Cubase with MIDIoverLAN or VEP) and have the proper audio hardware between the systems.

This kept the main computer with Overture 4 on it "as is" and allowed me to tap more potential power in terms of RAM, CPU, upgraded software, 64-bit sample libraries, plugins, etc., and keep working in Overture 4 until the time came to upgrade.

I don't know if that helps at all or what your intentions are beyond sticking with Overture 4 and an older Mac.

I do vaguely remember it being possible to make a 32-bit Operating System 64-bit aware, but it was so long ago, and again PC-based. There may even be some threads about it archived on here if you search.

I have no idea about your coding question, so I won't even attempt it.

Be well
Jon Grier

Post by Jon Grier »

Thank you for the suggestions Dean, I do appreciate it. I'll guess just have to see how desperate I get in the long run. I'm composing for acoustic instruments and humans and I don't value the demo much beyond giving performers the general idea. So I don't work at the demo's authenticity much at all and I have little need of the improvements to those capabilities. There are only a few missing things that I wish version 4 was capable of and I've been able to work around those pretty well. I'll nose around the Overture Forum, as you suggest, to see if there are any other thoughts about dealing with the 64-bit environment.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

NO problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help on this. Maybe someone with more experience in MACs can have better feedback for you.

If you google how to run a 32-bit App in a 64-bit Mac Os environment, maybe you'll have a bit more luck.

This was one article that came up on a quick search that might be more relevant or at least lead you to search some other possibilities for what you are wanting to accomplish.

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run ... s-catalina

Best of luck