An Overture Reader On The Horizon?

General Overture 4 Discussion.
danny7

An Overture Reader On The Horizon?

Post by danny7 »

Some notation programs like Finale and Sibelius have a little companion reader app that can read and play back their notation files without having to buy the actual notation program, i.e. Finale Reader for Finale files and Scorch for Sibelius files. Is a reader app for Overture and ScoreWriter files in the works? It's a great way to get Overture exposed to users of other music notation programs. When people can see through a reader app what you can do with Overture, they just might spring for a copy. :lol:
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." - Steven Wright, comedian
Steve Kallman

Post by Steve Kallman »

Not knowing how a Sibelius or Finale Reader file would be able to reproduce the sounds of an orchestra or other instrumentation, it's possible to accomplish this with what is already available on the market. You can use a PDF converter program like CutePDF Writer or similar product which converts the printed output from Overture to a PDF file so anyone can read your score (but not edit it).

If you want others to be able to play back your Overture file, it might be better to export it as a MIDI file, though it would only be playable in a limited fashion using a computer's MIDI sound library.

Steve
danny7

Post by danny7 »

Thanks for replying, Steve. Actually, the reader apps rely on whatever soundsets you already have installed on your PC, whether it's a soundfont bankset or wavetable. The main purpose of a reader app is to play back project files created by a notation program, but it's a great marketing tool for the host application as well. If potential buyers can see the notation capabilities Overture has, they'll check it out, try the demo and possibly buy it. I've tried just about every notation app and the next thing I look at after trying the demo is the reader, if there is one available. If the reader shows me what I can do in the host program and I'm impressed, I'll buy it.

I started using Overture when Cakewalk was selling it and I have yet to find anything else that compares in terms of functionality and ease of use. But most users want as full a demonstration as possible before they fork over the $$ for a full copy.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese." - Steven Wright, comedian
Mike Bunker
Super User

Post by Mike Bunker »

I'm with Danny. I would like certain people to be able to see my score and play it over General MIDI. All we need is a version where editing is crippled, or at least you could not save the file.

I also initially bought Overture from Cake and have kept up with it at every iteration. I also agree with his experiences with other notation programs. I have bought several, and I even keep my Finale up to date, but I only actually use Overture. It is pure genius. The more I use it the more I am amazed.

I would seriously like to have a demo version. And I seriously can't believe that although I have been using Ove since Cakewalk's flagship offerings previous to Pro Audio 1.0, that I have accumulated only 228 posts on these fora! How many years is that?

-Mike
C. Mike Bunker
Clearwater, FL

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.
FlinderHiew

Demos

Post by FlinderHiew »

Hi,

Demos and manuals are on the GenieSoft website,
http://sonicscores.com/downloads.htm

but not having tried them, I can't tell you what functions are disabled. Probably save and print.

:)
5.6.3.3 Mac
John Rethorst

Re: An Overture Reader On The Horizon?

Post by John Rethorst »

The main purpose of a reader app is to play back project files created by a notation program, but it's a great marketing tool for the host application as well. If potential buyers can see the notation capabilities Overture has, they'll check it out, try the demo and possibly buy it.
Agreed. Overture demos expire, print only the first page, and maybe have "Sample" or something embossed on it. Tabledit's reader doesn't expire, and prints a score without marking it. It's a very popular program.

MuseScore, becoming a popular program, doesn't need a reader since the program itself is free.

I'm getting to the point where I want to start sending compositions and arrangements to people to try. Printing to PDF is fine, but classical guitarists are notoriously bad at sight-reading, and it would be much more recipient-friendly to send a score in a format that she could play on the computer, if imperfectly, just to get a quick idea what it sounds like.

I'd really like to see a reader for Overture. Is it really much more trouble than disabling the "New File" and "Save" commands?
John Rethorst
Classical & Nylon Jazz Guitar
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

In addition, the entire menu structure could be made to disappear, and help files would not be needed. In other words you would have a light and portable reader/player that would be fast to load, quick to download, miserly on resources, with virtually no learning curve. It would use the on-board sounds that come with every computer.

…make it so, Number One…

Merv.
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

Yes there is an Overture Reader on the way. It will have a few editing features, but will mainly be a reader.
Don
Leader of the Band
John Rethorst

Post by John Rethorst »

Don wrote:Yes there is an Overture Reader on the way. It will have a few editing features, but will mainly be a reader.
Wonderful! Any hope the Mac version could be a universal binary (several people I know didn't buy their Macs in the last year or two).

Thank you.
John Rethorst
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

Most likely there will not be a PPC version. Too many versions requires too much time. All that is needed is an Intel MAC and 10.5 or above. Intel Macs were around in 2007, so that is 6 years ago. At some point we have to make life easier on development. The main reason Overture is being rewritten, is to minimize the work it takes when Apple's releases a new version of their OS. With each release they screw up something and it cause a lots of problem in development. I am using a development environment that takes care of most of Apple's changes.

For example, in the last release, they did not include Audio files with XCode. After downloading the Audio files from Apple, I found that they decided to move the folders around. I worked two days trying to get the source for a audio plugin to compile in Apple's new release. This plugin compiled fine to the previous release.

As Spock said, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a the few.
Don
Leader of the Band
John Rethorst

Post by John Rethorst »

Don wrote:Most likely there will not be a PPC version. Too many versions requires too much time. All that is needed is an Intel MAC and 10.5 or above. Intel Macs were around in 2007, so that is 6 years ago. At some point we have to make life easier on development.
Fair enough. Thank you.
John Rethorst
FlinderHiew

Demo version does all this Re: An Overture Reader On The Horizon?

Post by FlinderHiew »

The demo version is free, and does everything for 30 days, after that, save and print are disabled.
5.6.3.3 Mac