KS Instruments in Garritan Orchestra

General Overture 4 Discussion.
alansheffield

KS Instruments in Garritan Orchestra

Post by alansheffield »

I use Overture 4 with Garritan as VST Instruments. I haven't figured out whether you can write a score so that you can change automatically from arco to pizzicato and back again in the same stave. Anyone know?
vmishka

Re: KS Instruments in Garritan Orchestra

Post by vmishka »

alansheffield wrote:I use Overture 4 with Garritan as VST Instruments. I haven't figured out whether you can write a score so that you can change automatically from arco to pizzicato and back again in the same stave. Anyone know?
I am working on the Schubert Arpeggione Sonata in Overture 5 at the moment using Garritan Personal Orchestra 5 n-Cello 1 Solo KS. My experience so far is that if you simply insert "pizz" and "arco" above the string part (from the "Text|Expression" Tab on the left), that is enough to get it to switch seamlessly.
alansheffield

Post by alansheffield »

This may be true in Overture 5 but I specified Overture 4. I tried adding pizz to the stave but this doesn't work. Anyone know about how Overture 4 deals with KS instruments?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Figure out what note (below the cello's normal range) triggers the pizz/arco switch. Add that note to the part shortly before the switch, then select it and make it invisible. Roll back before the switch point and hit play (so the switch is read & takes effect) - the part will then switch arco/pizz.

Note, if you randomly jump around the score hitting play, you may need to hit a pre-set trigger point to get the right sound, i.e, if you are listening to section using pizz and then jump to the middle of a section playing arco, that section will play pizz (the last setting of the voice) unless you hit the arco trigger that occurs before that arco section begins.

That's the way I've always done it. But I believe you can also modify the "pizz." Expr (to the right of the Text icon), checking the Key Switch box and selecting the correct switching pitch. I've not used this, but it looks like it should work.
Miksoal

Post by Miksoal »

Determine the note that activates the pizz/arco switch. Just before the changeover, add the remark to the section, then choose it and hide it. Precede the transition point by rolling back.
amanda the adventurer