Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: symphony no. 6 revisited
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:50 am 

The first large-scale work I ever wrote with notation software was my 6th symphony with Overture (which really should be called no. 1 as the previous attempts were simply played into Cubase and are not really realizable in practice though I like some of their ideas). Although I have done three more since, I have a soft spot for this and thought it would be brought to life with my recently purchased Wallander's NotePerformer which is far better than the Garritan original and far clearer and better articulated than my Vienna Special Edition can manage. It's a shame that NotePerformer is only currently available for Sibelius but if Ov v5 manages to make a splash, perhaps Arne could be persuaded to support this platform. As it was, I had to spend a couple of days converting the MIDI export.

The work can be found here
https://app.box.com/s/q4x29ry2nf8bvylcyrr9ubts2cdkst7p

for guidance, (once downloaded -- if streamed live, the timings are inaccurate) the second movement starts at 18:30 and the Finale at 32:50 . The Finale is possibly the most cheerful thing I've ever written although even this has a dark side and is recommended on its own if the thought of a 39 minute symphony is a bit much!

David

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:19 pm 
Super Man

Thank you for sharing- very original and you have a right to be proud- I know very well the huge task of notating a full orchestral work of that length. (Only surpassed by the work involved in creating/editing the parts for live performance, which is why I harp so much on this forum about making that easier!)

After reading your post, I checked out posts and demos about Note Performer. I must say it sounds like a great, user-friendly program.

By the way, I considered Sibelius 6 very seriously until I finally compared it to OV, which I was already using for many years. it's sound library integration is impressive- it's just the rest of the program that is inferior to OV, in my opinion.
Anyway, it's great to hear other symphonic composers on this forum. I sometimes feel like I'm alone on a different planet from the rest of the world :lol:
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:23 am 

thanks for your comments Pete - you certainly know a thing or two about writing for full orchestra as well! You may feel alone on this planet but at least I'm on a somewhat related one, I think :)

As for NP, some of the demos are better than others but the strength of this software is in a clear ensemble which is particularly suited to music in a more classical (in the literal sense of the word) style. It's also very easy to use. It does have less character in the individual instruments than something like Kirk Hunter or Vienna but nevertheless, I feel it tends to produce a more realistic overall musical feel than other libraries when scoring for full orchestra unless you have the top packages and are willing to put in a large amount of programming - not to mention the cost and hardware requirements. As for Sibelius, the reason I tend to prefer it at present is primarily because the complete sound library integration of my main libraries make it easier to work with. However, the editing of MIDI data leaves a lot to be desired and many operations are far from intuitive which is why I am waiting with great interest for overture 5.

David