Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Correct, multi-rest are never in Conductor's score.

The ability is there in case you open an individual part and then want to change it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm 
Super Man

I also would highly suggest (if I can offer an experienced opinion) that during very long rests (for instance m 251 - m 293) you not rely on a musician counting measures. For example, in this flute part, end the multi at m 291 and put a cue from a cello cadenza in meas. 292 and 293. The players will love you for it (and you won't have to listen to them coming in wrong!).

As for using cues in OV, I have suggested to Don (begged actually) a better feature for cues, where you would select the cue from the master score and be able to enter it in multiple instruments at once (a check box that drops down) . Pasting it in many different parts(in this case all of them except the cello!) is a frequent need and a pain...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:12 pm 

Don wrote:
Correct, multi-rest are never in Conductor's score.

But of course Overture allows us to put them there (with the range of measure numbers shown if we wish).

Quote:
The ability is there in case you open an individual part and then want to change it.

I'm not sure I follow that.

But if we set a part to have multi-rests (and we can't select particular measures to be turned into multi-rests), we cannot have the range of measure numbers shown.

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 am 

Attachment:
Cello concerto No 1- score.ovex [961.37 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
Attachment:
Cello concerto No 1- score.ovex [961.37 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times
Don wrote:
The attached score does no good without the master score.
The Master score creates the multi-rests, so I need it in order to check out the part.
Don, please see the attachment. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 am 

Attachment:
TEST measure decrease.ovex [15.93 KiB]
Downloaded 127 times
Don wrote:
"• Increase measures on system now works when Measures per System is set in Active Parts panel."

I'm affraid it is not so. Measures cannot increase or decrease in staves with multi-rest measures. See attachement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:20 pm 

Don wrote:

DrDca,

All is well here and no else is having this issue, so I don't know other than the typical Windows response.
Reboot and install again.

The final cure was to delete everything to do with Overture, reboot, and then install as if new. That worked. As you say, typical!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:05 pm 
Super Man

Don,

Here is yet another problem with the latest release.
I midi (step) entered this measure in the viola staff (several times thinking I made an error). the 4th note was entered as a C natural on the keyboard but got notated and sounds upon playback as a C#, seemingly following the previous C#.
I would also like to know why, in the key of F, entered notes are entering as C# and not Db. This happens often where the accidental is not following the key signature in an intelligent way.

I do not want to sound offending, and you know I am a VERY long-time user, but this latest release is, as a whole, no better than the last few and I am wondering when we are going to have a release that works in the most basic compositional ways Forget the visual niceities and font needs for now and just, please, let's have a working basic notational program where key signatures, accidentals, etc. work. It has been a VERY long time since we have and if I sound frustrated it is because I am (and I know from private communication with many that I am not alone.)
Respectfully and Hopefully,
Pete

Attachments:
c.png
c.png [ 30.95 KiB | Viewed 13926 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:18 am 

The following bug applies to "Extracted Parts" only, but it is very serious, as the musicians of the orchestra will play wrong notes:
Quite frequently there is a need to change clef in an instrument part, e.g. from F clef to G clef, or other. Three problems:
1. If you introduce the new clef inside a certain measure, the program usually (i.e. not always, which is strange enough) crashes, which is embarrassing but not detrimental. This does not happen if you introduce the clef to a clean upstream measure.
2. Notes with accidentals in downstream measure(s) are losing their accidentals, resulting in wrong reading by the musician. This is serious for the composer as well, because you have to check each and every note of the Conductor's score as well as that of the Parts to make sure they are correctly notated. Very frustrating work I must tell you! I attach a file as an example of this.
3. Sometimes the clef introduced inside a measure falls on some note. If you try to move it a little to free the note, the notes that follow jump up high and the "Undo" function does not work. So you have to do it manually...

Attachments:
Test change of clef.ovex [8.74 KiB]
Downloaded 126 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Clef - accidental bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.2.4).
Step Input - wrong pitch bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.2.4).

Pete,
The reason C# instead of Db is that in the key of F is because Dm is the related minor key and c# is the leading tone into Dm.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:06 am 
Super Man

Don,
I don't see why OV would see the key of F as normally being the relative minor, but let's accept that for a moment.
Please look at these tests I just did.
TEST 1

Attachment:
acc.png
acc.png [ 41.99 KiB | Viewed 13522 times ]

In the 1st measure I dragged (or used Up Arrow) the third note, a C natural, up a half step, to C#. That looks fine. Then I dragged the 4th note, a D up a half step and it notated as Eb, which does not mesh with your relative minor explanation. Within the same measure, OV should be consistent, for ease of reading.

TEST 2

Attachment:
acc2.png
acc2.png [ 39.25 KiB | Viewed 13522 times ]

A chromatic scale in F. Dragging the second F to create an F# is fine. But dragging the fourth note, G to G#, created an Ab. Following the logic of the second note,the G have been dragged to G#. Then, the fifth note would not need an accidental since it is A natural and would have been preceded by G#.
This is a big bug and necessitates using the enharmonic (Ctl E) function way too often. I would give more examples except that OV at present doesn't always show the accidentals!

Last edited by PeteFine on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:39 am 

Don wrote:
Clef - accidental bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.2.3).
Step Input - wrong pitch bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.2.3).

Don, pls note that the latest release -which has the bugs with clefs and accidentals, is already 5.6.2-3
See attachment.

Attachments:
Version 5.6.2-3.docx [602.49 KiB]
Downloaded 128 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Noted.

THIS HAS BEEN FIXED.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:54 pm 
Super Man

Don,
Is it possible to get an accurate time frame of when the next release with, hopefully, all the major bugs fixed, will be available? The reported bugs are so difficult to work with that I would rather postpone my next project if it is very soon.
Appreciated,
Pete

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:54 am 

The introduction of a different clef in a certain measure results in eliminating the accidentals in the following measures. So you have to check and correct every note downstream manually, while your blood pressure increases exponentially!.. You lose confidence in the program and I believe this is very important!

Attached is a simple example I made to show this problem.
Attachment:
Introducing an F clef.ovex [7.02 KiB]
Downloaded 123 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:18 am 
Site Admin

My blood pressure increases when user's don't read.
I have fixed this in the next release.

Also I have fixed the "Use alternate meter on parts" to work properly and is only available on Active Parts for Master Score.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next