Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm 

Globally I have to say I am very satisfied with the software. Overture is absolutely fantastic.
Naturally, some glitch remain, and it is still slow in several parts for redrawing screen or move the score etc... but I'm sure all this will be fixed.

I don't want to use any other software (apart Opusmodus who I'm using for composing before exporting xml to Overture) because I have tested all the score editors and Overture is by far the most closest to my ideal. Many many features are really fantastics.

Nanotk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:18 am 

In other recent versions, graphic lines ends could be attached to different staves.
Not anymore? Or did I dream that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:49 pm 

Today I downloaded the trial version of Overture (5.6.2.2) and I like what I see! I'll play around with it for a while....

So, the first thing I did was import (or try to import) two xml files created with Encore. One worked, but the chords didn't show up; this is a recognized short-coming with Encore xml. The other didn't work and got "hung-up" and Overture closed. The second file had several different Voices in Encore (4 voices, with different colors)- could this have caused that hang-up?

Thanks!

Linda, 10-year Encore user (with hundreds of Encore files):
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22338&p=71482#p71482

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm 

Hi,. Linda,
ex1895 wrote:

Other issue: I see Overture lets you add chords - but is there the option for chords WITHOUT the guitar tablature? (Encore had that.)

Perhaps you are not speaking of guitar tablature but rather of guitar fretboard diagrams (known in Overture as guitar frames). (Guitar tablature is something entirely different).

If so:

We can have chord symbols without the fretboard diagrams.

The best way to do that is on Tools>Chords>Settings, under Chords Display, uncheck Show Guitar Frames.

Best regards,

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:54 pm 

Alan,

Thanks - I tinkered around a little bit more and see that chord symbol options are fine.

And yes, you interpreted my mumbo-jumbo correctly. :)

Linda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:40 am 
Super User

Hello colleagues,
Any news about release 5.6.2-4? It's long awaited.
Don, please, don't forget to update the title when you upload newer releases! :-)
Still it shows 5.6.2.2 (6-10-2020)...

Best regards,
Thurisaz :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:15 pm 

ex1895 wrote:
Today I downloaded the trial version of Overture (5.6.2.2) and I like what I see! I'll play around with it for a while....

So, the first thing I did was import (or try to import) two xml files created with Encore. One worked, but the chords didn't show up; this is a recognized short-coming with Encore xml. The other didn't work and got "hung-up" and Overture closed. The second file had several different Voices in Encore (4 voices, with different colors)- could this have caused that hang-up?

Thanks!

Linda, 10-year Encore user (with hundreds of Encore files):
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22338&p=71482#p71482

Yea, that. I go back to the earliest days of Encore on the Mac (30 years?!?!?). Encore for Mac is stuck at MusicXML 1.3 while the Win version is stuck at 1.1. They're not even pretending a 64 bit version will be released anymore.

As for Overture, Don has done quite a bit to accommodate us former Encore users in that regard but he can't fix the antiquated code that generates those files.

Now that SmartScore 64 is finally out (this month), I'm scanning pdfs of all my Encore files. Being a long time SS user (back to my Finale days), the upgrade to SS64 was inexpensive for me. If you don't have such a program, PhotoScore is also pretty good. Both allow you to scan, edit and then export as MusicXML 3.0 which preserves text, lyrics and expressions. They both have 30 day evaluation periods. Encore owners qualify for competitive upgrade pricing with SmartScore 64 — I don't know about PhotoScore.

SS64 defaults to showing fretboards where my Encore files have chord symbols. Fortunately, it's preference setting and not a bug. Otherwise, it is scanning the notes in my Encore files with 100% accuracy — text is not as accurate as I would like.

Overture 5.6, DP 10, Logic Pro X, Finale 26.1, Encore 5.0.7, SmartScore X2 Pro, Notion 6
Legacy G4-1K DP: OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2, Overture 1, Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:25 pm 

Clarification:

When I mentioned, antiquated code, I was referring to the versions of MusicXML (1.1 Encore 5 Win or 1.3 in the Mac version). Many have contacted me over the years to let me know that MusicXML 1.1–1.3 does support lyrics. Michael Good (creator of MusicXML) has never contacted me on this, no doubt because it doesn't matter.

If the Encore 5.x developer(s) didn't implement or update xml properly, only Passport Designs can fix that. They've had many years to do so.

Overture 5.6, DP 10, Logic Pro X, Finale 26.1, Encore 5.0.7, SmartScore X2 Pro, Notion 6
Legacy G4-1K DP: OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2, Overture 1, Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5