Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Turning off marcato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:00 am 

I have an extended orchestral passage where I want the strings to play marcato, but I can't figure out how to turn off the marcato at the end. What expression would I use to return to normal articulation? Tenuto doesn't give the effect I want. Internet search for the right expression has not yielded an answer. (I could turn it off with a slur with "Sustains" at note end, but there isn't a slur in the right spot.)

Post subject: Re: Turning off marcato
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 am 

Greetings, RC,
DrLeonard wrote:
I have an extended orchestral passage where I want the strings to play marcato, but I can't figure out how to turn off the marcato at the end. What expression would I use to return to normal articulation? Tenuto doesn't give the effect I want. Internet search for the right expression has not yielded an answer. (I could turn it off with a slur with "Sustains" at note end, but there isn't a slur in the right spot.)

The answer depends on the synthesizer in use, which you didn't mention.

I will proceed as if it is ASO. There, for most instrument groups, the "normal" articulation (that is, not marcato, not staccato, etc etc.) is put into effect by the keyswitch C1 (I will state all key switch pitches on the basis of the middle C = C4 convention.

Thus, at the end of the passage you want performed marcato, you need to place a (custom-made) expression set to send the key switch C1. You can make its text be whatever you want (maybe "no more stinkin' marcato"). I have no idea from a musical notation perspective what would be appropriate. Others here will no doubt know.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am 

Thanks, Alan, I will try that. It could be "End marcato." Yes, I am using ASO.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:24 am 
Super User

Better to name it something more generic, as you may need it for other things...

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 pm 

This is something that several have spoken about quite a lot recently.

In relation to this I speak as a brass player, adding an individual Marcato or other Accent marks, or even staccato, is tiring both to play and to read. However as pointed out here there isn't really a "STOP MARCATO NOW" so using (eg) Marcato to puncuate a section can lead to diffuculties. This can be achieved if the music changes style or puncuatation at the end of the phrase, or players get several bars rest, it is ASSUMED that play starts again without markings. A change of dynamics will have the same effect.

I did suggest using MARCATO and adding a drawn line over the phrase or section -------------------------- as this.

What I would ask again, as a brass player, to look at how long the section is and how often you are asking notes to be MARCATO, as it can become tiring for anyone other than pro level orchestral and world class brass band players. So if you have bars and bars get ready for a rebellion or a demand for a pay rise.

I realise this doesn't get the PC Orchestrater out of his problem so maybe add an asterisk at the end of the line and use it to set the key command as details in the Tenoralan reply.

Colin
EXPERT
EX = has been
SPERT = a drip under pressure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:58 pm 
Super User

I suppose "Legato" might be useful... with a keyswitch of C1 (or whatever works for "normal".
Legato works for ending staccato as well...
I realize legato is not normal usage for scoring brass or woodwind but, at least for OV scoring, it would be consistent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:07 pm 

Acting upon ideas posted here, this is what I did:
Created a new expression, * (star), 14 point bold, at the first non-marcato note, and set it with keyswitch "C1 [Sustains]."
After the original marcato expression, added text (14 point bold italic) until *, so it reads marcato until * .
The phrase plays marcato till it comes to the *, then returns to normal articulation.
In the passage there isn't an intervening measure to turn off the marcato, so this works. This is a string passage, so I'm not tiring out the brass.

Last edited by DrLeonard on Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:21 pm 

Greetings, RC,
DrLeonard wrote:
Acting upon ideas posted here, this is what I did:
Created a new expression, * (star), 14 point bold, at the first non-marcato note, and set it with keyswitch "C1 [Sustains]."
After the original marcato expression, added text (14 point bold italic) until *, so it reads marcato until * .
The phrase plays marcato till it comes to the *, then returns to normal articulation.
In the passage there isn't an intervening measure to turn off the marcato, so this works.

Excellent!

Cheers,

Alan