Overture 5.6.3.4 (Coming soon)

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
Snorlax
God of Transposition

Re: Overture 5.6.3.4 (Coming soon)

Post by Snorlax »

THIS IS AN "OP-ED" OFFERED WITH ***UTMOST RESPECT*** FOR EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD AND READERS OF THE THREAD.
IT IS AN OPPOSING VIEW OFFERED TO ALL WITH NO PERSONAL ELEMENT WHATSOEVER.
All of the "lemon/lemonade" discussion is nice, but at what point do we hold a company responsible for its
behavior? We have a BUSINESS relationship with a company.
Evidently, very few people on the forum use the software for professional purposes, or the stakes would be
much higher.
In that sense, Don is lucky his users are not suffering loss of income, since that takes some pressure off development.
If you are all hobbyists with no deadlines to meet or clients to please, then you can afford to be patient and tolerate these situations.
You don't have to, but you do; there are paid and free alternative means for you to accomplish your work. From the posts I read here,
any workflow advantages of Overture are offset by the problems you report having. At what point do you conclude that the incremental
benefits of using a piece of software are exceeded by the incremental costs of incomplete features, delayed bugfixes, and lack of communication?
If you bought a lamp, what would you do if it blew out half the bulbs you put in it and blinked off and on every 30 seconds?
That's my 2⅞¢
Snorlax. Amateur Radio N9EJR
Live rock, jazz, & classical euphonium at:
http://www.soundcloud.com/jweuph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

The only point is that you have no control over it Snorlax, and in your years of experience...have you not seen this makes it worse? Or Better?

You asked Pete how many times this type of thing has happened...I've been there for quite a bit as well. The thing is I think I know what causes it.

The very same point you are making would mean...if you repeatedly couldn't meet your deadlines and professional obligations as a result of using this software...you would have most definitely moved on to something else? Or bought a new lamp from someone else? Or am I missing something? Also, the forum is not the be-all and end-all of users of the products.

I make it work so I do not suffer loss. Would I like to see some improvements...yes...and granted we may have different demands and uses...but I am also grateful for all I can do with it. I'm not sure there is any piece of software that's perfect.

It's not going to do us any good going back and forth on those details.
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I too have made OV, with all it's warts, work for me. However, it is very tedious at times, ESPECIALLY when producing parts from a large score. I have offered suggestions several times.
I certainly have done my share of complaining but still greatly appreciate what OV does well. I said it before and I'll say it again- whatever the reason for the long silence and even longer delay on what was promised in terms of updates, a few words letting the users (customers) know what is going on would eliminate much of the complaining and be a proper way to conduct what, I suppose, is still a business.
Snorlax
God of Transposition

Post by Snorlax »

Dean, you seem to have some insider information that leads you to optimism.
I'll go with that and refrain from further posts on this--or any--topic.
Snorlax. Amateur Radio N9EJR
Live rock, jazz, & classical euphonium at:
http://www.soundcloud.com/jweuph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

When I look at the first post on this thread (the one posted by Don that contains fixes and improvements) I have to ask if this list has been static for the last year, or has it been added to from time to time.

It is flush with fixes; so many that it seems almost logical to start from scratch on a version 6. To identify, find and repair faulty code can be very time consuming and frustrating within an established code base. Better to start from scratch. Keep the routines that work well and scrap the ones that don’t, then throw in a good measure of innovation. I hope that the delay is because Don is working on a new and improved version of the program.

I’m sure that Don will come through for us in a big way. After all, he’s still sponsoring this forum.
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Yes, Merv you bring up a couple of great points. I definitely agree and believe that Don will come through as well.

~Dean
Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage »

I, too, have faith that Don is working hard on this - he's always come through in the past for us. As to the comments concerning those who need this software as a necessary tool for their profession, I am one of them. The reason I first purchased Overture decades ago, was that I needed a program to create truly professional looking tablature scores. Overture was the only notation program that could do this, and it did it VERY well. The crazy thing is that thirty years later, this is still true! I still can't find another application that can generate professional grade tablature transcriptions nearly as well as Overture.

I am, and always will be, in Don's debt.

I've attached a pdf of one of my tablature scores. Look it over and you will see exactly why Overture is still the only decent notation program for stand-alone tablature.
Attachments
Caravan.pdf
(995.46 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Mike Iverson
www.banjoutah.com
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Really nice Mike, thanks for sharing with us.
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

Blue Sage wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:43 pmI've attached a pdf of one of my tablature scores. Look it over and you will see exactly why Overture is still the only decent notation program for stand-alone tablature.
Your Pdf of the "Caravan" score is very good. But, (without the desire to argue). Why do you make sure that there is no notation software currently that can reflect exactly the same thing that you see in your Pdf? Do you know them all? :)
Win10 (64 bt.) H.A. 9.9.4 / Pdf to Music Pro 1.7.3 / Overture 5.6.3-3
pireco

Post by pireco »

Hi everybody. When will be release the Overure 5.6.3.4?