Professional Looking Tabs

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage »

The reason I first purchased Overture decades ago, was that I needed a program to create truly professional looking tablature scores. Overture was the only notation program that could do this, and it did it VERY well. The crazy thing is that thirty years later, this is still true! I still can't find another application that can generate professional grade tablature transcriptions nearly as well as Overture.

I am, and always will be, in Don's debt.

I've attached a pdf of one of my tablature scores. Look it over and you will see exactly why Overture is still the only decent notation program for stand-alone tablature.
Attachments
Caravan.pdf
(995.46 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Mike Iverson
www.banjoutah.com
Dean Krommydas
Site Admin

Post by Dean Krommydas »

Really nice Mike, thanks for sharing with us.
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

Blue Sage wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:43 pmI've attached a pdf of one of my tablature scores. Look it over and you will see exactly why Overture is still the only decent notation program for stand-alone tablature.
Your Pdf of the "Caravan" score is very good. But, (without the desire to argue). Why do you make sure that there is no notation software currently that can reflect exactly the same thing that you see in your Pdf? Do you know them all? :)
Win10 (64 bt.) H.A. 9.9.4e. HQ / Pdf to Music Pro 1.7.3 / Overture 5.6.3-3
Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage »

Oderfla wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:44 am Your Pdf of the "Caravan" score is very good. But, (without the desire to argue). Why do you make sure that there is no notation software currently that can reflect exactly the same thing that you see in your Pdf? Do you know them all? :)
I've downloaded a number of other notation software programs and can't find any that will do what I need - note heads (numbers) in the spaces instead of superimposed over the lines, easy mouse entry, the flexibility to utilize every tool that is available in a standard staff, etc..

If you are aware of any software that can produce tablature with as much control and ease as Overture, let me know and I'll take a peek at it. So far, I haven't found any that even come close.

Mike
Mike Iverson
www.banjoutah.com
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

Mike:
I was just saying that it is a bit hasty to say categorically that there is no other program that does what is seen in the Pdf "Caravan") that you attached. Maybe not "exactly", since it depends on the sources, but very similar.
I believe that many times we do not get the maximum performance of a program because we do not know how to handle it thoroughly. For example: I am an Overture user but I would not be able to do the kind of tablature you have done. Why? Because of my lack of deep practice in the program. However, it is possible to do it, since you, yes, did it. The same thing can happen to me with many other programs that I don't know in depth. Only superficially. Therefore I cannot judge so soon.
I am enclosing a shot taken with a certain program. It is a sample of what can be done, and quite easy, (if you know how to handle the software in depth).
I am not an expert in tablature. The notation that appears there is random.
Sorry for the English (it is from a translator, Spanish-English).
Attachments
Tab.Banjo.jpg
Tab.Banjo.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

Scorter:

The graphic concept of writing on Mike tablature with Overture, (nor mine with another program) is not the same as you use in Musescore. If you look closely, you will see that the stems are going to look for the location of the encryption and that also, the number is located within the spaces and not on the lines. I am aware that the normal or traditional thing is that the figure is written on the line, but their examples cannot be comparative in any case with Mike or mine.
By the way: The sounds of his examples are not consistent with the tablatures he presents (in my humble opinion)
I love Overture, but that's why I can't help but appreciate what other products do. You found (from what you've written) the panacea in Musescore. Congratulations.! I do not think the same.

On the other hand: Each one uses the software for what is good for him. Apart from Overture, I use another program (very wide of features) that allows me to do other things that I cannot do in Overture (or in Musescore either). Overture I use it basically to make music band scores. I am doing great. I know that I have some other unexpected crash and that it has some other failures. But .. what program does not have them ... ?. There is no perfect program.
Oderfla

Re: Overture 5.6.3.4 (Coming soon)

Post by Oderfla »

Scorter:
With Musescore I would never be able to make a guitar piece with this realistic sound. With my other program if I do.
Attachments
Muiñeira de Coruxo (Guitarra).mp3
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
scorster
Super Man

Post by scorster »

Oderfla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 pm Scorter:

The graphic concept of writing on Mike tablature with Overture, (nor mine with another program) is not the same as you use in Musescore. If you look closely, you will see that ... the number is located within the spaces and not on the lines. I am aware that the normal or traditional thing is that the figure is written on the line, but their examples cannot be comparative in any case with Mike or mine.
I'm quite sorry for the confusion. Somehow I forgot to post the image of the tablature I created with numbers on spaces. I've updated the original post to include that.
Oderfla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 pm I love Overture, but that's why I can't help but appreciate what other products do. You found (from what you've written) the panacea in Musescore. Congratulations.! I do not think the same.
Nobody hear said anything about a panacea. I merely mentioned that I'm much more productive in MuseScore. And less apprehensive about simple things like copy/paste and generating parts. And that's enough for me to be glad I made the move.
Oderfla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:27 pmOn the other hand: Each one uses the software for what is good for him.
Quite so. That is what I was saying ... simply, that I'm happier elsewhere now.

scorster
Mac OS
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

O,
Oderfla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:53 pm Scorter:
With Musescore I would never be able to make a guitar piece with this realistic sound. With my other program if I do.
That is just exquisite!

Alan
scorster
Super Man

Post by scorster »

TenorAlan wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:11 pm O,
Oderfla wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:53 pm Scorter:
That is just exquisite!

Alan
Agreed. Truly lovely.

Is that your composition Oderfla?

scorster
Mac OS
Oderfla

Post by Oderfla »

scorster
Is that your composition Oderfla?
Yes, it is a "muiñeira", a traditional rhythm from my homeland (Galicia-Spain). But the composition is original. The sound source is not a VSTi. It is an integrated module of my program.

That said, I think we have deviated from the forum thread and before we are moderated, it is better to leave it. If there is any other curiosity about the programs outside of Overture, we'd better talk about it in private, don't you think?
Cheers and good luck to all.

Salud y suerte.
Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage »

I appreciate the tablature examples (and the work that went into producing them), but they still don't appear to have the flexibility needed to produce truly professional looking tabs - ones I can use in my books. The finished product needs to be something close to the following:
Attachments
tab-example.jpg
tab-example.jpg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Mike Iverson
www.banjoutah.com
scorster
Super Man

Post by scorster »

Blue Sage wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:50 pm The finished product needs to be something close to the following:
Hi Mike,

I think this is pretty close to your style. However, after attaching here, I noticedthe score scaling or margins differ, but that's easily fixed.

The only issue I encountered is the the BVII text.
Attachments
Ashokan Farewell - C Tuning Banjo Tab.png
Ashokan Farewell - C Tuning Banjo Tab.png (142.9 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Mac OS
scorster
Super Man

Post by scorster »

Hey Mike,

I put this snippet of your arrangement on my MuseScore page, using an unlisted link, where you can hear it playback faithfully.

Here it is with fret numbers on the spaces:

https://musescore.com/user/35880724/sco ... 1/s/Gbce43?

And here, with the change of one setting, the tablature displays on the lines:

https://musescore.com/user/35880724/sco ... 1/s/zK-4wO

scorster
Attachments
Banjo  -Open C tuning.png
Banjo -Open C tuning.png (8.81 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Mac OS
Blue Sage

Re: Professional Looking Tabs

Post by Blue Sage »

Scorster, you've made a believer out of me. I will check it out!

Thanks... Mike
Mike Iverson
www.banjoutah.com