Edit Header

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
Neil Wyles

Edit Header

Post by Neil Wyles »

I am hoping that someone knows of a shortcut to include the instruments name and title in the Edit Header field.

ie: Symphony #1( ??) - Trumpet 1( ?? ) - Pg. (#P)

It would save a few steps when extracting a multiple page piece, and eliminates need for Page #'s at bottom.

There are devices like %t and %p when extracting, but they did not work in the Header Field.
Merv
Super User

Re: Edit Header

Post by Merv »

Short of saving extracted parts as separate files, there is no easy way currently to do what you want.

That said though, it can still be done with a small amount of fidgeting. Does the enclosed file approximate what you want? Just go to Active Parts and click on the Part Name – First Bb Trumpet. If this is what you want to have happen just copy what I did.

This is how I generally format my parts (give or take). Of course, it’s possible that I may be completely misunderstanding what your requirements are or what you are asking.
Instrument Name Title Page in Parts.ovex
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

I have added the file back in, with what I am looking for in Header #2

Instead of typing the Title, and the Instrument, is there a code, like the #P for the page?
Attachments
Instrument Name Title Page in Parts Header#2.ovex
(12.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

A certain amount of coding still needs to be done on the ‘Active Parts’ routine to make it more useful and flexible. My first suggestion of making each part its own separate file still holds true. While this is most certainly an undesirable thing, the workarounds will have to do for now. Hopefully Don is working on this project for the next update.

I would be interested to know is others have a workable solution to what you’re asking.
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I second your request. I first save my active part as a separate file before doing anything, since much editing can only be done that way. Having the instrument name on each page would definitely be nice.
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

Please show me an example of what is needed so I understand it correctly.
You can already show title page information on all pages.
Don
Leader of the Band
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

In the above example,

I have "Symphony #1 - Trumpet 1 - Pg. 2" in the header, but had to write out Symphony #1 - Trumpet 1 - Pg. #P with the page number ( #P ) being the only shortcut code, so each extracted part needs to have this written into it after extraction.

In the extraction process, codes %t and %p are used for naming the extracted file....for score name, and part name respectively.

It would be handy if these shortcut codes worked in the Header / Footer area prior to extraction, just saving the extra steps on the end.

Even the Title Page, when the check box is checked, does not extract, and you need to make that change on each part....unless I am missing something there.

I only arrange for concert band, so, and shortcuts are always appreciated. Sometimes the work post extraction is as long as it took for the arrangement...which is more knock on my attention to detail on the score than the program...
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

I need to see pictures.
Don
Leader of the Band
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

Screenshot 2022-05-11 201139.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 201139.png (164.48 KiB) Viewed 138 times
this picture is the work around to get what I want. I have to do this for each part after extraction.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 201254.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 201254.png (166.21 KiB) Viewed 138 times
I am hoping to be able to enter some sort of coded line like this, that would copy to each part prior to extraction, to give me what is detailed above.
As you can see, the %t and %p is from the extraction page.

Does this help? I am having to do this 28 times for each score, and am looking to save a few key strokes.
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

I am confused as to what is wrong with what Merv presented.
The instrument name, score title, and page number are on the top of each page.
Yes, they are not all combined in the title, but the normal method for master score and parts is as Merv presented.
Do you really need the instrument name, score title, and page number to appear as the title on each page.
Don
Leader of the Band
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

Opening up a master score, selecting a part in active parts, the instrument name only appears on the first page by default. The name of the score also is only in the title on the first page. What was originally asked for is the title and instrument appearing on all pages in small font by default, I believe. Is that possible?
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

Look at the score created by Merv. It has what you are asking for.

Under the Text tab for First Bb Trumpet he has Display on all pages for the part name.
It you ctrl-click when setting this it will be applied to all parts.

Double click on the title when displaying a part and you can choose to display it to all pages.
Use the Menu (right-top) of Active Part panel to copy this parts title info to all parts.
The rest can all be handled using headers.

I added an extra setting in the Text tab section to not display the instrument name.
I agree this could be handled better, but for now it can be done.
Don
Leader of the Band
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

thanks.

I cannot seem to get the Copy settings for the title on each page to work, but when I have more time, I will come back to it.
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Thank you, Don, for explaining what I couldn’t. While I have a handle on part extraction and the editing of headers, I have difficulty explaining to others the steps involved. I suppose it’s somewhat akin to verbally describing to others how to swim and then expecting a non-drowning experience.

Other notation softwares get around this issue by generating a huge list of options, menus within menus, selections within selections, and a hugely cluttered and confusing interface. Even the simple task of entering and manipulating notes is non-intuitive.

I am ashamed to confess that I have experimented with a couple of very popular notation products over the past couple of Covid-19 years – all without success or any measure of joy. None come close to the simple yet powerful elegance of Overture 5.

I’m looking forward to the release of your next update.