Bar Measure Display

Discussion about Overture but not bugs.
ColinGee

Bar Measure Display

Post by ColinGee »

How can I fix the Bar Measure display from not showing on all bars. I get bars 1 and 2 showing, then bar 6 showing, then bar 13 showing. then bars 17 up to the end (bar 50) all showing up OK... Thanking You Colin
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Bar Measure Display

Post by PeteFine »

Colin,
Have you already checked the Set Measure Numbers dialogue in the Measures menu? Have you deleted measures? (Not that it should cause a problem).
I don't see any option to explain what you are seeing. The choices are either every measure, every system, or every page. Can you attach a score?
Pete
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Colin,
ColinGee wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:06 pm How can I fix the Bar Measure display from not showing on all bars. I get bars 1 and 2 showing, then bar 6 showing, then bar 13 showing. then bars 17 up to the end (bar 50) all showing up OK... Thanking You Colin
The measure number display is a property that can be set separately for various ranges of measures. This "ability" can be exercised accidentally if you have some measure other than M1 selected when you make a setting of Measure Numbers.

To straighten this out, select the first measure of a group on which there are measure numbers (could be only a single measure) and set Measure Numbers to None. Then select the first measure of the next group on which there are measure numbers and set Measure Numbers to None. Proceed this way until there are no more measure numbers showing.

In future, if you want to have measure numbers in some style for the entire score, be certain to select M1 before making a Measure Number setting. This may only put measure numbers on a certain group of measures (if the score has, left over from its earlier situation, settings of "None" at later places in the score.

In this case, select the first measure of a group that has no numbers and set the Measure Number style you want.

Then if those numbers still do not extend through the end of the score, again select the first measure of a series that has no number and set the desired style there. And so forth.

Best regards,

Alan
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

By way of further explanation:

It seems that the typical template creates a score that initially has no Measure Number "tags" on any measures. Thus the default Measure Number style, "By System", is in effect everywhere in the score.

If we select, for example, M16 and then set Measure Numbers to some style (perhaps a number on every 1 measure, that is on every measure) apparently a Measure Number tag to that effect is placed on M16. That style will be in effect through the end of the score (if there are no contravening Measure Number tags later on).

But we cannot (in any way I know) remove that Measure Number tag from M16. We can, for example, change it to "None". But if we do, and then, with M1 selected, we set Measure Numbers for some measure number style (other then "By System"), that style will only remain in effect through M15. At M16, the tag there ("None") comes into effect, and so the measure numbers stop.

The bottom line is that if we accidentally put Measure Number tags on any measures after M1, that score is forever a bit "poisoned" with respect to Measure Numbers.

I think

Best regards,

Alan