It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

WIN: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rfp65azrk7au1 ... 5.msi?dl=1
MAC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sq4fx1vnu7j83 ... 5.pkg?dl=1

Improvements
• Add a preference setting to limit Hand Tool to only dragging the score
• Improved the automatic spacing of staves/systems/measures to happen only when necessary.
• The number of controller events sent on hairpins has been reduced to help CPU load. If this causes a problem, please let me know.
• Added a playable Laissez vibrer Tie to Notes menu.
• Added the ability tilt all selected hairpins. Use alt[option] down or up arrow to change the angle .
• Increase measures on system now works when Measures per System is set in Active Parts panel.
• You can now add a default track from the Add Instrument dialog, when no library is selected.
• Improved the Set Meter dialog to eliminate many recalc problems and beaming problems.
• Improved reading old file capabilities.
• Added an entry for Expressions font in Music Font settings.
• Added a Score Panel setting to automatically add cautionary accidentals when needed from previous measure. (Previously this was in the Preferences dialog.)
• Added the ability to display an accidental on trills (set in trill dialog). The accidental is automatically handled by Overture.
• Improved MusicXML reading and writing of several items like Title Page text, tempo, dynamics, hairpins, etc.. These are done according to the 3.0 spec.
• Overture now assigns MIDI channels on MusicXML files that did not have them and chooses track images to match the instrument-sound.
• Improved vertical spacing problems when importing old Overture files.
• Added ability to change the scale of clefs through entire track or score using the Set Scale dialog.
• Added a warning dialog when changing Piano staves to normal staves about deleting symbols on the lower staff.
• Added the ability (in Tracks menu and right click menu) to split a Piano Staff into two separate tracks.
• In the Music Font Settings dialog (Score Panel), text fonts are now only replaced if the font changes and the check box is set.
• Added support for BopMusicSMFL and Petaluma font instead of Aloisen Groove. Click on the Middle button in the "Choose Score Fonts" dialog. This is a temporary fix until Overture 6.
• Added always showing of secondary track names even when edge of staff is not showing when zoomed in.
• Added direct support for RealScore fonts.
• Added ability to change two eighth notes to dotted eighth/sixteenth notes without additional rests being filled in.
• Changed process to restricted the dragging of elements using the Hand Tool to only be available when the Alt[option] key is down.
• Improved playback of swing eights.
• Improved dragging of tied notes on the score and in data view.
• Improved opening of Overture 2 scores.
• Added a Scale factor in Edit Title dialog for additional pages.
• Added ability to add fermatas by lassoing multiple notes.
• Added ability to add arpeggios to notes when Copy/Pasting and Notes on Tablature tracks.

Fixes
• Fixed bug that sometimes overflowed multi-bars on extracted parts.
• Fixed bug introduced a few versions back that did not placed Rehearsal text in conductor track, causing problems with auto increment and extracting parts.
• Fixed bug that did not show accidentals on chords using a capo.
• Fixed bug that sometimes caused a crash when generating tab from existing notation.
• Fixed bug that did not import correctly the "forward" element correctly in some MusicXML files.
• Fixed bug that did not import correctly the "octave shift" in MusicXML files with a second staff of a piano track.
• Fixed bug that did not notate notes smaller than an eighth note when step inputting.
• Fixed bug that did not set the font properly on MusicXML files with Chinese text, where the font was not set for the text.
• Fixed crash bug when deleting all measure to the end after decreasing measures on a system.
• Fixed a bug that showed two of the same accidental on unison notes in different voices.
• Fixed playback bug on tablature staves where parent staff had playback transposition set to 0.
• Fixed but that did not save shift-dragged title line vertical position setting.
• Fixed bug that prevented some context menu commands on tablature staves.
• Fixed bug that incorrectly set beam height on pasted notes.
• Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect accidental when changing a mid measure clef.
• Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect accidental when step inputting.
• Fixed several bugs that did not handle MusicXML files transposing tracks.
• Fixed a bug that duplicated lyrics on notes that had another note in a different voice at the same beat.
• Fixed a bug that caused the insertion to jump to far forward when imputing melismas in real time.
• Fixed problem that prevented whole rests in two different voices from being automatically centered.

• Fixed bug that placed meters on the left side of double barlines.
• Fixed element spacing problems when a meter contains a key signature and a meter.
• Fixed bug that when entering the first note destroyed the end points of several items like hairpins, ottavas, etc.
• Fixed a bug on ottavas that extended onto the next system, that caused the end to grow a bit when the main part was dragged vertically.
• Fixed a bug that forced system text to the top staff after editing when it was entered on a lower staff.
• Fixed bug that caused cursor to disappear on the bottom staff of a piano system and after entering title text on a blank page.
• Fixed bug that caused the wrong key switch to be sent at note end when there are two key switches in a row.
• Fixed several major rebar bugs from previous version.
• Fixed bug that prevented clefs from being dragged to right edge of measure.
• Fixed grace note pasting bug that flipped note head on wrong side of stem.
• Right side system separations is now saved with score.
• Fixed a problem that prevented Key Signature cancellation accidentals in some cases.
• Fixed bug that caused a crash when deleting last measure of score.
• Fixed bug that did not immediately display deleted customized expressions.
• Fixed problem that printed accidentals in Score Titles way too small.
• Fixed bug that flipped stems when moving a beam in some cases.
• Fixed problem that caused zoom level to revert when undoing.
• Fixed playback accuracy of attack settings for articulations.
• Fixed problem with copying and pasting graphics that caused the endpoints to be incorrect.
• Fixed staccato dot placement in tablature staves.
• Fixed some tablature note alignment issues related to its parent staff.
• Fixed tablature staff causing parent staff barlines to be drawn the wrong length.
• Fixed problem that altered beam angle when dragging notes in a tablature staff.
• Fixed Notes to Tablature bug that caused slurs on parent staff to be removed.
• Fixed a crash when dragging lyrics horizontally a far distance.
• Fixed a playback problem with notes step entered with the "played velocities" setting.
• Fixed paste problem that did not allow for different clefs.
• Fixed max setting in Note Filter dialog.
• Fixed right-click context menu items that did not work.
• Fixed dragging tied notes issues in the Data View.
• Fixed problem that broke ties when dragging chord members with ties past another note head.
• Fixed issue when recording separate hands on piano systems.
• Fixed problem that incorrectly placed parenthesis on sus chords when Alterations and extensions parenthesis were set in the chord panel settings.
• Fixed problem that caused newly created slurs to have a big hump in some situations.
• Fixed problem that prevented keyboard in Piano Roll not to scroll.
• Fixed problem that did not display a cautionary accidental on notes following a previous note with accidental.
• Fixed crash when trying to edit Group Names.
• Fixed problem that deleted exiting controllers when recording a different controller in Data View.
• Fixed a crash when entering (Asus7-9) chord using MIDI keyboard.
• Fixed problem that prevented using Alt+ and Alt- on systems that involved multi-measure rests.
• Fixed bug that did not reset transpose setting in track inspector on undo.
• Fixed bug that caused cue notes to be drawn in grey color.
• Fixed a crash when loading some bad MIDI files.
• Fixed problem where Lyric font was not updated in Lyric Panel when loading scores.
• Fixed a few instrument ranges in GM and Kontakt Factory Library sound maps.
• Fixed issue that prevented you from changing the last barline is the default setting was to show a Final barline.

Here is the first test version.
I apologize for the previous release as it was quite buggy and it took a long time to find out why.
This release is much more stable and I think you'll like it.

Anyway,
There is a lot here in this upcoming release so I ask to only test and respond the the issues listed above.
The one thing missing is tuplets like 13:8. They basically don't work yet but will be addressed this week while testing is going on.
Also can someone please test MusicXML import/export. I have a lot of work but have not test a lot of different files.
Thanks

Post subject: Auto save is working!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:05 am 

For the first time autosave in OV5 is working properly on my MAC. It saves every minute as supposed to. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:01 pm 

All major issues with OVE 5.6.1-2, as far as I’m concerned, have been resolved! Congrats Don!
Some remaining in OVE 5.6.2-3 (of lesser importance):
1. Active parts/ Use alternate meter on parts. I would expect to see the alt. meters in Extracted Parts, which is not the case. Same with “Show range” of multi-rests in Extracted Parts. Those actions take quite some manual effort in doing it separately on each Instrument Part.
2. Beam tremolo 32nds (e.g. trill between g and b). The second note shows blurred (or fainted).
3. Slur curvatures should be bigger so that it does not cross notes’ stems or other symbols, e.g. trill signs. Also to differentiate from ties.
4. Program crashes unexpectedly, e.g. when you ask sometimes to show flat beams, or to apply cautionary accidentals.
5. Symbols/Notes panel (wish, not bug). I would expect to be able to pick up an accidental and attach it to a note in the score, {something you can do with Ctrl s, Ctrl f, or Ctrl n (as I discovered)}. I would prefer this method of selective application of cautionary accidentals as against the new one applied of automatic introduction in the whole of the score.
6. Triplets: Sometimes, when Ove converts a midi file to score, it interprets wrongly the triplets, with many dotted notes which need manual intervention, not an easy task. Especially when the first note of the three is a tied note to a previous one.
7. On triplets again: Try to write a triplet in an empty measure by selecting, say an 8th and the sign of tuplet from the notes’ menu (a reasonable thing to do I suppose). You just can’t do it.
8. Flip direction (Wish not bug): You need to press 3 keys simultaneously (Ctrl+Shift+F) to do it. Could this be done with one key only, as it was the case in Ove 4?
I do not attach evidence files as, I believe, above issues can be easily reproduced.

Item 9. In extracted Parts: Change of clef, say from F to G, does not show the accidentals in the following measure(s), i.e. the performer will read a wrong melody. This is serious as you lose trust to the program. See the attached two example files.

Attachments:
In G clef.ovex [19.96 KiB]
Downloaded 144 times
In F clef.ovex [19.9 KiB]
Downloaded 144 times

Last edited by Vassilis on Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:09 pm 
Super Man

Reported this in Bugs, but want to make sure it is seen.
The problem with ASO staccato's not being returned to sustain is still a problem. If I stop after staccato notes, or even close and reopen a score from scratch, the staccato keyswitch is still happening.
I thought this had been fixed.

Attachments:
Untitled-2.ovex [1.27 MiB]
Downloaded 143 times

Last edited by PeteFine on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:52 pm 
Super Man

Staccato dots added by selecting the dot in the Tools panel, then clicking or lassoing notes.
I am attaching the score but I think you would need ASO to test it, maybe not.... I can't stop and restart at an earlier point, or even reopen the score, without some instruments starting staccato.

Attachments:
Untitled-2.ovex [1.28 MiB]
Downloaded 150 times

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:12 pm 

Pete
PeteFine wrote:
Staccato dots added by selecting the dot in the Tools panel, then clicking or lassoing notes.
I am attaching the score but I think you would need ASO to test it, maybe not.... I can't stop and restart at an earlier point, or even reopen the score, without some instruments starting staccato.

Help me find those staccato dots.

Alan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:27 am 
Super Man

Brass in meas. 103, for instance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 am 

TenorAlan wrote:
V:
Vassilis wrote:
Some remaining in OVE 5.6.2-3 (of lesser importance):
1. Active parts/ Use alternate meter on parts. I would expect to see the alt. meters in Extracted Parts, which is not the case.

Here, if Use alternate meter font on parts is ON, then, on the extracted part, the meter is shown in the alternate font (as well as when we are viewing the part in Active Parts).

Alan

Alan hi. Have you tested it? Because I've tested it several times with no success. Neither "Use alt. meter font in parts", nor "Multi-measure rest/show range" are working with Parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:01 pm 

Well, it turns out that Overture ignores the notes bearing the 32nd tremolo marks (8xG6) insofar as triggering sending the trailing keyswitch for the articulation mark on the G5, but sends the trailing keyswitch properly just before the next note after the group with the tremolo marks (F#5).

So the problem does not seem to be there.

However, this was all based on testing a small excerpt from the score (just the 2nd violin track and only a few measures), so I may have missed the real problem.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 am 
Super Man

As reported in the normal Bugs forum, but worth repeating here- after zooming in (Ctl/Mouse Wheel) if I undo an edit (Ctl Z), the score reverts back to the previous zoom level.
This is another bug that was reported as fixed.

Don,
I am curious if somehow updates got mixed up or labeled wrong. I know this is highly unlikely but I have to ask because there seems to be one bug after another that were reported as fixed in the previous two release notes that I am reposting as still not fixed.
Something is drastically wrong here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 am 

TenorAlan wrote:
V:
Vassilis wrote:

Have you tested it? Because I've tested it several times with no success. Neither "Use alt. meter font in parts", nor "Multi-measure rest/show range" are working with Parts.

With regard to the alternate meter font matter, yes my report was based on a test here.

I have not yet looked into the multi-measure range issue.But I really don't know what the Multi-measure rest settings on Active Parts do. Could you give me some help there?

Thanks.

Alan

I can't be of much help Alan, except to give you my expectation with regard to "Multi-measure rest settings" on Active Parts. I believe it should apply to the Extracted Parts (as the main score does not usually contain long silence sections). However it does not, so you have to do it manually on every intrument, say, of a symphonic orchestra (quite cumbersome indeed!). Same with "alt. meter font" (allow me to insist on that Alan).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am 

Attachment:
Cello concerto no 1-Flute II.ovex [77.89 KiB]
Downloaded 151 times

Please see the attached Extracted Part file. I 'm referring to the range of measures noted below each multi-rest line. This info should be have been filled-in automatically, not manually as I have done in this file. If I am not clear enough please send me a private message.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am 
Site Admin

The attached score does no good without the master score.
The Master score creates the multi-rests, so I need it in order to check out the part.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm 
Super Man

Trying to understand Vassilis question sand Don's reply...
1st of all, in decades of composing AND reading orchestral scores, I've never seen a multi rest in a conductor (Master in OV) score. It is only used for parts. Maybe that was implied in the last few posts but I thought I would reinforce it.
next, I have never seen the measure numbers indicated in the multi rest, only the number of measures and, possibly, some text above explaining something odd, so I'm surprised at that feature in OV,but it can't hurt...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Correct, multi-rest are never in Conductor's score.

The ability is there in case you open an individual part and then want to change it.