Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm 
Super Man

I also would highly suggest (if I can offer an experienced opinion) that during very long rests (for instance m 251 - m 293) you not rely on a musician counting measures. For example, in this flute part, end the multi at m 291 and put a cue from a cello cadenza in meas. 292 and 293. The players will love you for it (and you won't have to listen to them coming in wrong!).

As for using cues in OV, I have suggested to Don (begged actually) a better feature for cues, where you would select the cue from the master score and be able to enter it in multiple instruments at once (a check box that drops down) . Pasting it in many different parts(in this case all of them except the cello!) is a frequent need and a pain...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:33 am 

Attachment:
Cello concerto No 1- score.ovex [961.37 KiB]
Downloaded 152 times
Attachment:
Cello concerto No 1- score.ovex [961.37 KiB]
Downloaded 152 times
Don wrote:
The attached score does no good without the master score.
The Master score creates the multi-rests, so I need it in order to check out the part.
Don, please see the attachment. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 am 

Attachment:
TEST measure decrease.ovex [15.93 KiB]
Downloaded 152 times
Don wrote:
"• Increase measures on system now works when Measures per System is set in Active Parts panel."

I'm affraid it is not so. Measures cannot increase or decrease in staves with multi-rest measures. See attachement

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:05 pm 
Super Man

Don,

Here is yet another problem with the latest release.
I midi (step) entered this measure in the viola staff (several times thinking I made an error). the 4th note was entered as a C natural on the keyboard but got notated and sounds upon playback as a C#, seemingly following the previous C#.
I would also like to know why, in the key of F, entered notes are entering as C# and not Db. This happens often where the accidental is not following the key signature in an intelligent way.

I do not want to sound offending, and you know I am a VERY long-time user, but this latest release is, as a whole, no better than the last few and I am wondering when we are going to have a release that works in the most basic compositional ways Forget the visual niceities and font needs for now and just, please, let's have a working basic notational program where key signatures, accidentals, etc. work. It has been a VERY long time since we have and if I sound frustrated it is because I am (and I know from private communication with many that I am not alone.)
Respectfully and Hopefully,
Pete

Attachments:
c.png
c.png [ 30.95 KiB | Viewed 14842 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:18 am 

The following bug applies to "Extracted Parts" only, but it is very serious, as the musicians of the orchestra will play wrong notes:
Quite frequently there is a need to change clef in an instrument part, e.g. from F clef to G clef, or other. Three problems:
1. If you introduce the new clef inside a certain measure, the program usually (i.e. not always, which is strange enough) crashes, which is embarrassing but not detrimental. This does not happen if you introduce the clef to a clean upstream measure.
2. Notes with accidentals in downstream measure(s) are losing their accidentals, resulting in wrong reading by the musician. This is serious for the composer as well, because you have to check each and every note of the Conductor's score as well as that of the Parts to make sure they are correctly notated. Very frustrating work I must tell you! I attach a file as an example of this.
3. Sometimes the clef introduced inside a measure falls on some note. If you try to move it a little to free the note, the notes that follow jump up high and the "Undo" function does not work. So you have to do it manually...

Attachments:
Test change of clef.ovex [8.74 KiB]
Downloaded 151 times

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Clef - accidental bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.3.0).
Step Input - wrong pitch bug is fixed in the next release (5.6.3.0).

Pete,
The reason C# instead of Db is that in the key of F is because Dm is the related minor key and c# is the leading tone into Dm.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm 

Globally I have to say I am very satisfied with the software. Overture is absolutely fantastic.
Naturally, some glitch remain, and it is still slow in several parts for redrawing screen or move the score etc... but I'm sure all this will be fixed.

I don't want to use any other software (apart Opusmodus who I'm using for composing before exporting xml to Overture) because I have tested all the score editors and Overture is by far the most closest to my ideal. Many many features are really fantastics.

Nanotk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:18 am 

In other recent versions, graphic lines ends could be attached to different staves.
Not anymore? Or did I dream that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:15 pm 

ex1895 wrote:
Today I downloaded the trial version of Overture (5.6.2.2) and I like what I see! I'll play around with it for a while....

So, the first thing I did was import (or try to import) two xml files created with Encore. One worked, but the chords didn't show up; this is a recognized short-coming with Encore xml. The other didn't work and got "hung-up" and Overture closed. The second file had several different Voices in Encore (4 voices, with different colors)- could this have caused that hang-up?

Thanks!

Linda, 10-year Encore user (with hundreds of Encore files):
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22338&p=71482#p71482

Yea, that. I go back to the earliest days of Encore on the Mac (30 years?!?!?). Encore for Mac is stuck at MusicXML 1.3 while the Win version is stuck at 1.1. They're not even pretending a 64 bit version will be released anymore.

As for Overture, Don has done quite a bit to accommodate us former Encore users in that regard but he can't fix the antiquated code that generates those files.

Now that SmartScore 64 is finally out (this month), I'm scanning pdfs of all my Encore files. Being a long time SS user (back to my Finale days), the upgrade to SS64 was inexpensive for me. If you don't have such a program, PhotoScore is also pretty good. Both allow you to scan, edit and then export as MusicXML 3.0 which preserves text, lyrics and expressions. They both have 30 day evaluation periods. Encore owners qualify for competitive upgrade pricing with SmartScore 64 — I don't know about PhotoScore.

SS64 defaults to showing fretboards where my Encore files have chord symbols. Fortunately, it's preference setting and not a bug. Otherwise, it is scanning the notes in my Encore files with 100% accuracy — text is not as accurate as I would like.

Overture 5.6, DP 10, Logic Pro X, Finale 26.1, Encore 5.0.7, SmartScore X2 Pro, Notion 6
Legacy G4-1K DP: OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2, Overture 1, Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:25 pm 

Clarification:

When I mentioned, antiquated code, I was referring to the versions of MusicXML (1.1 Encore 5 Win or 1.3 in the Mac version). Many have contacted me over the years to let me know that MusicXML 1.1–1.3 does support lyrics. Michael Good (creator of MusicXML) has never contacted me on this, no doubt because it doesn't matter.

If the Encore 5.x developer(s) didn't implement or update xml properly, only Passport Designs can fix that. They've had many years to do so.

Overture 5.6, DP 10, Logic Pro X, Finale 26.1, Encore 5.0.7, SmartScore X2 Pro, Notion 6
Legacy G4-1K DP: OS 10.4.11, OS 9.2, Overture 1, Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 pm 

Look what I found this morning, 5.6.3.0 !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:01 am 

Great to see this much awaited release which I am now exploring with great interest.
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Just uploaded 5.6.3.2
Fixed two crashes (only one bug, though).
Fixed playback of articulations.