Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: locking top track
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:55 am 

Hi Don
Firstly I hope all is well with you as you haven't been heard from for some time.

So this is an idea similar to a spreadsheet where you can lock the top most cells where you may have placed the e.g. column titles.

As I was working on a very TALL score I had to keep scrolling up to see the rehearsal marks, first time bars etc. to keep myself orientated to my position within the score. This was writing out a friends hand written original composition, so I was unfamiliar with the layout etc, as I was working on the percussion parts with several sections of odd numbers of rests and bar rests it became more important that I checked to see the cymbal crash was in the correct location.

THANKS

Colin
EXPERT
EX = has been
SPERT = a drip under pressure

Post subject: Re: locking top track
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 am 

Greetings, Tuba,

Tuba56 wrote:
So this is an idea similar to a spreadsheet where you can lock the top most cells where you may have placed the e.g. column titles.

As I was working on a very TALL score I had to keep scrolling up to see the rehearsal marks, first time bars etc. to keep myself orientated to my position within the score. This was writing out a friends hand written original composition, so I was unfamiliar with the layout etc, as I was working on the percussion parts with several sections of odd numbers of rests and bar rests it became more important that I checked to see the cymbal crash was in the correct location.

An excellent and useful feature. It would be good to expand it in a way also usually available in spreadsheets, where (in this case) the labeling of the parts (tracks) would stay in sight even when, at a large magnification, we had scrolled to the right on a score page. Again this would help us be sure "where we are" when editing the score.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:06 pm 
Super User

Wow. If I'm following correctly, the wonderful comments in this thread are suggesting enhancements that would afford Overture the scrolling functionality that we're accustomed to in spreadsheets.

a) the user would be able (in a single view, without changing pages) to scroll vertically through the entire score

b) the user would be able (in a single view, without changing pages) to scroll horizontally through the entire score

c) additionally users would be able to:

• drag a vertical split onto the score view, to horizontally drag left and right portions of the screen independently
      • Drag a horizontal split onto the score view, to vertically drag the upper and lower portions of the screen independently

Truly excellent suggestions!

Does any existing notation application do this? Or would it be another area where Overture leads the way?

Appreciated guys!

scorster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:34 am 

Greetings, scorster,
scorster wrote:
Wow. If I'm following correctly, the wonderful comments in this thread are suggesting enhancements that would afford Overture the scrolling functionality that we're accustomed to in spreadsheets.

a) the user would be able (in a single view, without changing pages) to scroll vertically through the entire score

b) the user would be able (in a single view, without changing pages) to scroll horizontally through the entire score

c) additionally users would be able to:

• drag a vertical split onto the score view, to horizontally drag left and right portions of the screen independently
      • Drag a horizontal split onto the score view, to vertically drag the upper and lower portions of the screen independently

Truly excellent suggestions!

Does any existing notation application do this? Or would it be another area where Overture leads the way?

Appreciated guys

None of that was what I suggested.

What was suggested was essentially parallel to what we have in spreadsheet applications today. We can force the top of the page (with the first system, including the measure numbers) to stay in place when we scroll down, and/or we can keep the left of the score (where the part names are) to stay in place when we scroll horizontally.

The latter is essentially what we have today in linear mode.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:39 am 

Hi all

Yes as tenoralan says, however

As there is linear view when we can continually scroll I was just asking that the top track stays in view. As it contains bar numbers, coda, 1st/2nd time bars etc etc. As I mentioned when you get down to percussion (I know theyre not REAL musicians but we need someone to blame for dragging or speeding up etc) and only placing 1 or 2 beats in odd bars it can be a pain and time consuming to keep scrolling up and down to see your location.

PS sorry drummers comments are in the wrong forum, thought it was TalkBass where every problem has a simple solution = sack the drummer :D :D :D

Colin
EXPERT
EX = has been
SPERT = a drip under pressure

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:46 am 
Super User

I also like the idea. Not being a programmer, however, I don't know if "spreadsheet" qualities can be given to a notation program. But it would be handy at times.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:42 pm 
Super User

It seems to me like you folks are talking about split-screen, multiple window, even dual monitor functionality. I foresee lots of advantages and flexibility in a well designed and engineered UI that incorporates powers like these. I believe that you’re hoping for an Ove6 product that accomplishes this feat – I know I am.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:18 pm 

Greetings, Merv,
Merv wrote:
It seems to me like you folks are talking about split-screen, multiple window, even dual monitor functionality.

Not I.
Quote:
I foresee lots of advantages and flexibility in a well designed and engineered UI that incorporates powers like these. I believe that you’re hoping for an Ove6 product that accomplishes this feat – I know I am.

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited by TenorAlan on Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:18 am 
Super User

I think Tuba suggested just an ability to lock the top line (staff) as we can in Excel or other spreadsheet programs, which I agree would be useful in some situations. That is completely different than dual monitor, split screen, etc.
But the split screen/dual monitor function, for instance the ability to have 2 scores, or parts, open on separate views or monitors would probably be very useful for most users.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:46 pm 

Greetings Pete,

PeteFine wrote:
I think Tuba suggested just an ability to lock the top line (staff) as we can in Excel or other spreadsheet programs, which I agree would be useful in some situations. That is completely different than dual monitor, split screen, etc.

And I added the suggestion for a complementary feature: keeping the left edge of page 1 (showing the names of the "parts") visible as we scroll horizontally through the score (as already happens in linear view).

Cheers,

Alan