[Solved]SCRUB

Suggestions and feature requests.
Leonard

[Solved]SCRUB

Post by Leonard »

When composing with orchestral libraries such as Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra it often appears necessary to isolate parts of the score in order to listen repeatedly to only a group of instruments over several bars.
This to verify pitches and/or harmonies and colours of a set of instruments in a precise part of the score.
In the good old days this was made possible by a feature named “SCRUB” implemented in a software called “Cakewalk” for instance.
After numerous users' requests this scrub feature is nowadays implemented in both “Finale” and “Sibelius”.
Overture also has a scrub function, but as far as I know Overtures' scrub function only applies to one sole instrument at the time and is not available on the score page which makes it useless for multiple instruments check right on the score as in “Finale” and “Sibelius”.
I intended to download a demo copy of “Overture 5” but before doing so I wanted to know if this precise scrubbing is possible with your software or if you plan to implement it in a near future.
Merv
Super User

Re: SCRUB

Post by Merv »

The SCRUB tool as implemented in Overture 4 is sorely missed, but Overture 5 offers alternate methods that offer even more flexibility than the SCRUB tool (which is not available in Ove5’s SCORE VIEW as you stated).

Ove5 has a LOOP tool and a main page TEMPO slider and an option to play only highlighted notes. This combination of tools gives you a lot of flexibility.

1. You can SOLO your target tracks then LOOP the measures you want to repeat and slow down the tempo with the slider.
2. You can also CTRL click with the mouse to select discontinuous target measures and with your Options set to play only highlighted notes, hitting your spacebar will play only the highlighted noted over and over again with each tap of your spacebar. You can still adjust the playback tempo.

There are many ways to do these kinds of things in Overture and there is NOT a steep learning curve when using Overture. The program is both powerful while still being easy to use.

Good luck in your explorations of Overture.
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Thank you so much Herv for your quick and useful reply. I will now download a demo to work out your precious indications.
Having tried a previous Overture Demo I indeed noticed that Overture is far more userfriendly than its competitors all together.
For the beauty of the subject I would like to mention that this Scrub feature is implemented in a free DAW which has a modest score editor where one can evaluate how it works.
It is the exact same feature as in « Cakewalk ».
It appears to be extremely useful and works better than the Finale/Sibelius scrubfeature as it permits to sweep the scrubicon at the speed you wish. (the icon is called « Preview ».
Here is the link but you have to follow the instructions on the introduction page to get it in english:
https://openmidiproject.osdn.jp/Sekaiju_en.html
Best regards.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Leonard,

Sekaiju is so neat! Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Alan
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

I’m not at all surprised that Alan would be impressed. This is a handy little utility. Kinda looks like a Christmas tree when it’s up and running. Funny thing is… Overture can do a lot of this MIDI data manipulating – and do it well – just another thing that sets it apart from other notation softwares.
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

Overture 6 will come with a traditional scrub tool on the main score.
Don
Leader of the Band
Leonard

Re: [Solved]SCRUB

Post by Leonard »

There is a french proverb which says that the good things always come for those who are patient.
Thanks Don for this highly useful intended feature.