Brass Band Template

Suggestions and feature requests.
jjmarriner

Brass Band Template

Post by jjmarriner »

Is there a Brass Band template available?
Thank you,
Retired bandmaster.
Merv
Super User

Re: Brass Band Template

Post by Merv »

With Overture 5 it’s very easy to make your own customized templates using your library or libraries of choice, or just GM. You can choose your music font, instrumentation, library, transposed or non-transposed score and a host of other preferences.

Current GM templates include Big Band, Brass Choir, Brass Quintet, Concert Band, Marching Band among many others. You can alter these to suit your needs, or as already mentioned you can start from scratch.
jjmarriner

Post by jjmarriner »

Thank you Merv. I have created a Brass Band template as you suggest, but couldn't see how to store it permanently under 'Templates' so It sits there in the recent scores window. Failing a dedicated template, I need a brass band library plugin.
Have searched the net endlessly to no avail. Do you have any library suggestions? I am after the Tenor Horn (Eb) and Eb Soprano Cornet mainly.
A related question: If I use a French Horn (F) in my own Tenor Horn (Eb) template slot, do I have to consider the pitch difference, or am I just using the sound?
Sorry to bombard you with this, over 80 and still learning.
Regards,
Jim
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Templates are somewhat problematic in Overture and a workaround is required that will require a manipulation of your file structure in Windows 10. You can create your own personalized templates folder in the Score directory. In my Documents folder I go to Sonic Scores > Overture 5 > Scores and I create a folder named ‘Merv’s Templates’. The files contained within this folder are standard .ovex files, but they are devoid of any musical content. They contain everything needed in a standard template and contain exactly what I need in every detail. These files are dedicated to my needs and preferences and contain many formatting and layout alterations. For example, I have many different versions of a string quartet template. But why? The answer is simple… the different string libraries that I use require different keyswitches, volume levels and other fine-tuning parameters. These are all contained in my .ovex template files. I then simply open the .ovex file that I want to use within that folder and I am presented with an empty score sheet that is several pages long with all correct instrumentation, formatting, keyswitch information, etc.

In the upper right hand corner of Overture open the browser (or hit Shift B). With proper configuration you can open your newly created template files in your personalized templates folder.

Those types of esoteric instruments can be simulated in Overture. I searched all my libraries and could not find an Eb Tenor Horn or Eb Soprano Cornet, but a standard F Horn and Bb Cornet can be notated to appear as those target instruments. If you are using the full version of Kontakt you might be able to find and use samples of those particular instruments online. They will probably require you to use the full version of Kontakt. Otherwise in Overture you can alter the pitch of any track as required.

There are many other tricks and methods to use including duplicating, deleted the original template files, but they are mostly problematic. Others may have better ideas than this. I’m still hoping that Don hasn’t abandoned ship and will continue work on his Overture project.

It’s good that you’re still learning. You’ve got 10 years on me – so congratulations! I hope to achieve the 80-year milestone (and then some).
jjmarriner

Post by jjmarriner »

Thank you indeed Merv.
Jim
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Jim,
jjmarriner wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:15 am
A related question: If I use a French Horn (F) in my own Tenor Horn (Eb) template slot, do I have to consider the pitch difference, or am I just using the sound?
Let me be certain I understand the question exactly.

Is this correct:

In your template you have a track for Tenor Horn (Eb), but there being no patch for Tenor Horn available, you will have the part rendered with the French Horn patch. I will proceed as if this is so.

But I'm not sure what you did to set that up. So I'll just describe what you will have to have, because what you did may not or may not have arranged that.

Tenor Horn in Eb is normally written a major sixth (9 semitones) above sounding pitch. The (French) Horn in F is normally written a perfect fifth (7 semitones) above sounding pitch, but that doesn't really fit into this story - all the patches sound the note pitches they are sent, and how they are usually notated does not figure into that.

If you want your Tenor Horn (Eb) track (which toots through a French Horn patch) notated at player pitch, then you will need to have, in Inspector>Track>Settings:Transposition, Transpose Part = 0, Transpose Playback=-9. If you want your Tenor Horn (Eb) track notated at sounding pitch ("concert pitch"), and want to be able to see the "player's part" (as would be written for that instrument), you will need to have Transpose Part=9, Transpose Playback=0.

Best regards,

Alan
jjmarriner

Post by jjmarriner »

Thank you Alan for a great reply. Your initial assessment was quite correct. All I did was choose the F Horn as track instrument.
Horn playbacks now adjusted to -9 with parts at 0 and all is well. You have opened a new door for me.
Thanks again,
Jim
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Jim,
jjmarriner wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 am Thank you Alan for a great reply. Your initial assessment was quite correct. All I did was choose the F Horn as track instrument.
Horn playbacks now adjusted to -9 with parts at 0 and all is well. You have opened a new door for me.
Thanks again
So glad it worked out well.

Happy tooting,

Alan
Snorlax
God of Transposition

Post by Snorlax »

The Garritan Concert and Marching Band library has proper instrumentation for Brass Band and will not break your bank. Garritan libraries interface well with Overture.
Snorlax. Amateur Radio N9EJR
Live rock, jazz, & classical euphonium at:
http://www.soundcloud.com/jweuph" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone
jjmarriner

Post by jjmarriner »

Hello Snorlax,
Thank you for the advice, will chase it up.
Regards,
Jim