[Solved]Microtonal accidentals and playback: add pitch wheel to Art.

Suggestions and feature requests.
elerouxx

[Solved]Microtonal accidentals and playback: add pitch wheel to Art.

Post by elerouxx »

I suggest to implement microtonal accidentals in the palette.
There are two kinds of mostly used accidentals: the ones with the little arrows and the ones with more/less crossing lines, all of them depicted on the picture below and always present in SMUFL fonts.
eighth-tone-symbols-MicroTonalTrumpet-320x217.jpg
eighth-tone-symbols-MicroTonalTrumpet-320x217.jpg (25.01 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

Plan B:
For the time being, a custom articulation (via a symbol graphic) could do the trick, so the ready-to-use microtonal symbols can wait (I understand you have a long list of request). However there is no tuning control under Edit Articulation.

In that case, I suggest that you either (or both!)
- include in right side of the dialog: Pitch Bend Wheel in the Edit Articulation dialog (since it is a separated controller and can't be activated via CC)
- include in left side: TUNE note by X cents. ( I don't know if it will internally use the PB wheel control or another internal control available).
Include Pitch Bend Wheel.jpg
Include Pitch Bend Wheel.jpg (57.33 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
For the record, it is possible to edit the Pitch Wheel in the DATA view, but it's a bit more a DAW task and it would be great to have this via notation.
elerouxx

Re: Microtonal accidentals and playback: add pitch wheel to

Post by elerouxx »

This is a portion of the unicode (smufl) symbols for microtonal accidentals. There are lots of them either in Bravura or Aloisen.

Usually the composer isn't as specific as indicating 1/8 tones like in the image I posted before, just 1/4 tones, then chooses between one or another set of symbols: the circled in green (which I prefer) or the circled in blue.
In my opinion the ones with the arrows make it very clear that it's just the note one quarter up or down.
I would want this set. In either case the symbols can be remapped via the Font map.
microtonal symbols.jpg
microtonal symbols.jpg (228.07 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

If pitch bend were able to be added to the Articulation dialog, we would have the needed functions.

I don't know what percentage of Ov5 users would actually use 53-tet tuning- I think it's small. ;) So I wonder if up to 8 ready-to-use microtonal symbols are needed in the palette . (though a user articulation library would be wonderful.) In terms of which symbols would be used, my opinion is that software should not dictate that sort of usage by making some symbols more available than others. Imagine a concert of several microtonal pieces by different composers, and someone says- "Hey- you use Overture, eh? I'd know that 1/4 sharp symbol anywhere." ;)

Also, if you are using a sampler like Kontakt or whatever, you can map a CC to tuning, and just use the accidental as an articulation, no need for PB, and it's available now.
Windows 10
Bollen

Post by Bollen »

Oh dear! I hadn't noticed that Overture doesn't have them! I have tons of scores that use quarter-tones and they're extremely common in the world, from Bartok to world music.

So definite +1 for this one.
Windows 7 (x64) Intel® Core™ i7-3930K (64GB RAM), Windows 10 (Surface Pro 3) Intel® Core™ i5-4300U (8GB RAM) - Vienna Ensemble & Player, Kontakt, UVI, East West Choirs & Alchemy Player
Don
Site Admin

Re: Microtonal accidentals and playback: add pitch wheel to Art.

Post by Don »

BTW, microtonal accidentals were added to Overture a while back.
Don
Leader of the Band