Indication that a score file is "read only"

Suggestions and feature requests.
TenorAlan
Super User

Indication that a score file is "read only"

Post by TenorAlan »

Greetings,

This brings up to date a suggestion that I believe has been made some while ago.

The description here pertains to operation under the Windows operating system.

In my system of "version control", a "released" issue (vintage) of a score file is given the "read only" attribute by the operating system. This avoids any accidental change of a score vintage that, in theory, has been "frozen". Others may follow a similar protocol.

When such a file is opened by Overture, the program nicely refuses to let any changes be made to the score. Otherwise, after some amount of work on the score in memory, the scorist would find that the modified score could not be saved (at least under its existing filename).

And consistent with that, certain control panels (e.g., Inspector) cannot even be opened.

That is all good.

Still, it wouild be even more desirable to give the scorist a very clear indication (perhaps a note in the application title bar or such) when the current score is opened as "read only".

Best regards,

Alan
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Indication that a score file is "read only"

Post by PeteFine »

Huh? I have windows and have used Overture with windows since dinosaurs ruled the earth. I've never had anything in the operating system prevent me from editing a score, new or archived...
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean?
Pete
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Peter,
PeteFine wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:11 pm Huh? I have windows and have used Overture with windows since dinosaurs ruled the earth. I've never had anything in the operating system prevent me from editing a score, new or archived...
Pete
If an Overture score file is marked in the O/S as having the "read only" attribute (something that cannot be done from inside Overture, but which I can easily do with my "file manager" (and I think it can be done in Windows Explorer, which of of course is the fancy name for the Windows file box, etc. system), then Overture (like any regular application) cannot overwrite it.

When Overture opens such a file, it reads the attributes and (since it knows that it could not "save" the changes you might make), does not allow you to make any changes (so you don't waste a lot of time).

It is not at all surprising that you have not ever encountered this, since I would not expect that you ever used the O/S to mark an Overture score file "read only".

But I do that to preserve "archival" files that capture earlier versions of scores I am working on

Best regards,

Alan
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

Aha... thanks for the clarification. I understand.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

TenorAlan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:42 pm Hi, Pete,
PeteFine wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:11 pm Huh? I have windows and have used Overture with windows since dinosaurs ruled the earth. I've never had anything in the operating system prevent me from editing a score, new or archived...
Pete
If an Overture score file is marked in the O/S as having the "read only" attribute (something that cannot be done from inside Overture, but which I can easily do with my "file manager" (and I think it can be done in Windows Explorer, which of of course is the fancy name for the Windows file box, etc. system), then Overture (like any regular application) cannot overwrite it.

When Overture opens such a file, it reads the attributes and (since it knows that it could not "save" the changes you might make), does not allow you to make any changes (so you don't waste a lot of time).

It is not at all surprising that you have not ever encountered this, since I would not expect that you ever used the O/S to mark an Overture score file "read only".

But I do that to preserve "archival" files that capture earlier versions of scores I am working on.

Attached is a test score that should as you receive it, have the Read Only attribute set.

Best regards,

Alan
Attachments
Read_only_test-2002-02.ovex
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 4 times