Graphic data view - change of note time values

Report problems, bugs, etc.
Forum rules
Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.
TenorAlan
Super User

Graphic data view - change of note time values

Post by TenorAlan »

This is as observed on Overture 5.6.3-3/Windows 7

This relates to a score in which the notes were entered by mouse or by step entry from the alphanumeric keyboard.

If I change the time value of a note (e.g., from quarter note to eighth note) by selecting the note and using the assigned keyboard shortcut for the new time value, the play duration, as seen in the graphic data view, does not change to follow (and thus the positions of subsequent notes are not shifted to follow).

Thus play would be as if the note time value had not been changed.

The User Guide (p. 148, "Effect of Changing Note Values on MIDI Duration") suggests that in this situation, the "MIDI duration" would be changed to follow.

The attached test score can be used to see this problem.

Steps to reproduce this problem:

• Open the score file.
• Shift to linear view. This will open the graphic data window and leave the notation visible (unless you have disabled this in Preferences).
• In the linear score window, select one of the quarter notes.
• Press the keyboard shortcut for "change to eighth note" (I think the factory setting for this is "8").
• Observe that there is no change in the notes' play time representation in the graphic data window.

While I am speaking of the User Manual, I note that on p 147, under "Changing Existing Note Values (Duration)", the introduction describes changing the note time value by selecting the note and then selecting the new time value from the Notes palette, but the detailed procedure that follows is based on the use of the keyboard shortcut. In any case, changing the note time value from the Notes palette doesn't work.

Alan
Attachments
Note_time_values.ovex
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Craig Duke

Re: Graphic data view - change of note time values

Post by Craig Duke »

TA, I can change a note value and see the corresponding MIDI duration correctly change in your score.

If you have "Preserve MIDI Time Values" checked in the pull-down "Options," the change in note value will not change the MIDI duration i.e. it should be unchecked.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Craig,
Craig Duke wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:46 pm TA, I can change a note value and see the corresponding MIDI duration correctly change in your score.

If you have "Preserve MIDI Time Values" checked in the pull-down "Options," the change in note value will not change the MIDI duration i.e. it should be unchecked.
Oh, crap! I forgot about that. Thanks.

As to my bug report - N-E-V-E-R  M-I-N-D!

Alan
Craig Duke

Post by Craig Duke »

I remember the option setting well because when I asked the same question several years ago, Don (may be rest in peace) called me a slacker for asking the question (he assumed I had not searched the manual). For a while, I thought your question might draw Don out of hiding.
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Craig,

Trolling? Moi? Jamais!

Alan
TenorAlan
Super User

Post by TenorAlan »

Speaking of the User Guide, it would be helpful if, in the passage on page 147 et seq, where changing the time value of a note is described, and it is stated without qualification that the change will be reflected in the "MIDI duration" of the note, there was at least a glancing reference of the general nature of "unless Options>Preserve MIDI values is checked".

Alan
Craig Duke

Post by Craig Duke »

So I really am a slacker. :(