[Solved]Current OSX build: sustained pitches suddenly appear

Report problems, bugs, etc.
Forum rules
Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.
ronnb
Super User

[Solved]Current OSX build: sustained pitches suddenly appear

Post by ronnb »

I'm working on this hymn for voice and piano and when I reach a point and attempt to insert an eighth-note into the tenth measure or so, suddenly, after the note, all the pitches in that part sustain without a release as if I was holding down the sustain pedal on a piano.

My standard workaround for this is to put in the "*" mark to release the piano pedal, in the problematic voice part (and hide them from view) and this causes the sustain to cease. If anyone wants the score, to look at, just ask.
OSX 12.3.1, Macbook Pro 2.3GHz 8-core, i9 16GB RAM,
Steinberg UR22C

PC-88 Keyboard for input.
TenorAlan
Super User

Re: Current OSX build: sustained pitches suddenly appear

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, Ron,

Yeah, I'd be interested in looking into the score to see if I can figger exactly what happened.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Alan
ronnb
Super User

Post by ronnb »

TenorAlan wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:57 am Hi, Ron,
Yeah, I'd be interested in looking into the score to see if I can figger exactly what happened.
. . . and, here it is:
Build A Bridge03.ovex
(19.55 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
If you delete the little pedal markings in the voice part, you will get the mega-sustain treatment.
This happened when I would change a half-note in the voice to a dotted quarter with eighth.
I hope the cure is not for me to wipe my hard disk and install Excel. :roll:
Steinberg UR22C

Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

I ran your file and substituted your GPO4 instruments with GPO5. I would add that I used Garritans CFX piano samples to add sparkle and magic to this tune. That sample library is money well spent.

Delete all of your pedal markings and all of your slurs because they are causing the problem, but if you don’t wish to do this you can alternatively change your Controller Values in your Edit Slur dialog to 0 (zero) being sure to tick the ‘Change all in track’ box. This will correct your issue. You don't need any controller values to edit or alter slurs - they come out of the box working well. I can add a working Garritan file for you to listen to or inspect if you wish.

I would add that this is a beautiful piece of music. Are you the composer?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

If you purchase Garritan’s CFX piano library (since you’re a GPO customer already) and upgrade to GPO5 then download my rendition of your wonderful work, you will hear how wonderful it can sound. Using the tools that Overture provides, you can throw out a great sounding and wonderful performance. Turn this into a WAV file and you’ll have a commercial product worth a fortune. If you have other tools at your disposal, you can even bump it up a notch.

Stay with Overture because it’s the best and I suspect and hope that it’s going to get a whole lot better!
ronnb
Super User

Post by ronnb »

Merv wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:21 am I ran your file and substituted your GPO4 instruments with GPO5. I would add that I used Garritans CFX piano samples to add sparkle and magic to this tune. That sample library is money well spent.

Delete all of your pedal markings and all of your slurs because they are causing the problem, but if you don’t wish to do this you can alternatively change your Controller Values in your Edit Slur dialog to 0 (zero) being sure to tick the ‘Change all in track’ box. This will correct your issue. You don't need any controller values to edit or alter slurs - they come out of the box working well. I can add a working Garritan file for you to listen to or inspect if you wish.

I would add that this is a beautiful piece of music. Are you the composer?
Interesting. I think you have definitely solved this issue. This is still a bug that needs a fix though since the slurs should not trigger this sort of endless sustain.

I wrote this rather old-school hymn or rather it insisted that I write it down. I'm glad you like it. The lyrics are done now, along with a coda.
Steinberg UR22C

Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Are you disposed to share the finished product with us? …because WOW!
Don
Site Admin

Post by Don »

OK you are going to love this.

When you created the voice track, the Alto sample from the Notation samples was loaded into the Aria player.
But if you look in the Track Inspector>Expressions>Slur settings for the voice track you'll see CC64 (Hold Pedal) controller is being used.
The Standard samples use this to trigger auto-legato on/off. When you enterd a slur this setting was entered into the slur.

I don't know how all this came about, either you manually loaded the Notation samples instead of the Standard samples and used Overture's Notation template, or it was an Overture bug, but either way your slurs are sending CC64 (sustain) to notation samples which do not use it to trigger auto-legato switch, but instead just sustains the notes.

So you'll have to either reload the Alto voice sample using the Standard (not notation) samples, or clear the controller setting for each slur, and do the same in the Inspector.

Finally, you can imagine how long it took me to track this down. This why they pay me the big bucks (LOL).
Don
Leader of the Band
ronnb
Super User

Re: [Solved]Current OSX build: sustained pitches suddenly appear

Post by ronnb »

That's good to know Don because now I can avoid having this from happening regardless.

Thanks. ^_^
Steinberg UR22C