[Solved] extract parts issue

Report problems, bugs, etc.
Forum rules
Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.
philhargreaves

[Solved] extract parts issue

Post by philhargreaves »

Hiya

I've been creating scores for a couple of weeks in Overture - today i tried extracting a single part, and it comes out with only one or two lines per page, which it won't let me change, ie i can't move those lines. Which is obviously unusable.
screenshot06.jpg
screenshot06.jpg (768.05 KiB) Viewed 97 times
is there any way to retrieve this, or have i just wasted a fortnight?
Merv
Super User

Re: extract parts issue

Post by Merv »

Without fully knowing the in’s & out’s of your issue, my suggestion would be to save your extracted part as a separate file. You should then be able to drag staves around on your score sheet and make other necessary changes.
philhargreaves

Post by philhargreaves »

But the extracted part is a separate file already? That's what 'extract parts' does?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

O.K. I thought you were referring to the Active Parts dialog. Why not enclose the score so we all can look at it. I see you have some breaks inserted at the beginning and end of your first track. That could be your issue.
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

those tiny grey arrows are page breaks....they need to be removed from the score, and extract again.

Under Options , Show......breaks...make sure it is ticked so you can see them.
philhargreaves

Post by philhargreaves »

Tried 'show breaks', and i can't find them any more. I certainly didn't put any in, though. And they're not in the parent score either, that i can see.

When i try to move a line, there's a large blue rectangle round it, and the software won't allow the rectangles to overlap:
Attachments
screenshot07.jpg
screenshot07.jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 79 times
philhargreaves

Post by philhargreaves »

I thought at first it might be because i'm running Windows 7 on this machine, but i tried it again on a laptop with Win11, and same result. The original file was created in Overture 5, but much of the content was cut and pasted from a file created in Overture 2, don't know if that might be relevant.
Attachments
A Las Barricadas-P1-Instrument One.ovex
(21.37 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
a las barricadas score03.ovex
(60.35 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

Phil,
I have no issues with extracting a part, then opening it. I tried it with the current version and last version (5.6.3.2). I can use all the editing functions the same as on the master score. I'm also on Windows 11.
The page breaks are odd. You've tried closing and rebooting OV again to see if it just didn't load correctly? Have you tried a one measure (new)test score ton see if it works with a score you've created with the current version (since you mentioned you had copied some old music from previous OV versions)?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Here is your score in a more proper format. Overture 2 and Overture 5 don’t mix well together. I’ll leave you to correct all the sloppy loose edges, instrument assignments, clef changes etc. Also, there are a lot of formatting changes you might want to make, for example your chord diagrams can be adjusted as a group. If you go to your Active Parts panel your individual parts can be inspected before saving and/or printing.
Corrected Master Score.ovex
(61.14 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Neil Wyles

Post by Neil Wyles »

i posted earlier but it got lost.

In Engraver.....Spaces between systems was 32.....try 7 or 9.

You will need to fix this on all of the parts.

Not sure if there is a shortcut.
philhargreaves

Post by philhargreaves »

"In Engraver.....Spaces between systems was 32.....try 7 or 9."

Brill - that sorted it, thank you so much. Engraver took a bit of finding, though!!