Help! Does this Happen to Anybody Else?

Report problems, bugs, etc.
Forum rules
Please be specific when reporting bugs and be able to reproduce them.
If you don't, the post will most likely be ignored or deleted.
PeteFine
Super Man

Help! Does this Happen to Anybody Else?

Post by PeteFine »

This has never happened before so....this is 5.6.3.3 I will try it in 5.6.2.2
I just started a score (see attached). If I try to delete the Trompone part in measure 2, the bass part become unrecognizable- it totally changes. It looks like there is only 3 beats in the bass part measure. If I undo the delete, the bass part returns to normal. In fact, if I do other additions, such as adding chord symbols to the Piano part, that also messes up the bass part. Very strang!! Does it happen if someone else tries it?
Before Delete.png
Before Delete.png (189.22 KiB) Viewed 116 times
After Delete.png
After Delete.png (202.91 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Attachments
Vehicle.ovex
(285.09 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Help! Does this Happen to Anybody Else?

Post by PeteFine »

I just created a new score from scratch (same layout) and opened it in 5.6.3.2 and same problem. Plusd I opened an old finished score and tried editing it and the same thing happened to the bass staff! I can't figure it out.
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

In the Ovex file you included in your post, I found one way of correcting this odd anomaly. Definitely strange behavior…

On your bass line, double click in m.2 and hit Notes > Transcribe. Now lock m.2.

You should now be able to safely delete m.2 in your trombone stave. You can now unlock m.2 if you wish.
Dean K.
Site Admin

Post by Dean K. »

Hi Pete,

FWIW, just tried what you described here, and this does not occur using 5.6.2-3 on Windows. There are probably other builds where it isn't a problem as well (likely older).

http://www.deankrommydas.com
Mac Mini, VisionDAWorkstations
Overture, Dorico, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, VEPro
RME Fireface, MOTU, Mackie, Arturia, Stream Deck XL
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

Thanks for the workaround, Dean- good to know. Did you say you were using 5.6.2.3 ? That is pretty old. I am using 5.6.3.2 It is pretty good, except for the odd weirdnesses like the one I posted.

I will say, however, that since working on Band type charts, as opposed to the orchestral and chamber stuff I've always done in the past, I've learned and uncovered a bunch of OV featuiures I never know were there- with Chords window, notes window, etc... of course bugs I never knew were there also. :-)
Dean K.
Site Admin

Post by Dean K. »

PeteFine wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:05 am Did you say you were using 5.6.2.3 ? That is pretty old.
Yes, and I've been using even older builds like 5.6.1-2 for quite some time for different reasons.

I'm pretty sure 5.6.3.2 has that whole note-tie crash bug among others...but as you pointed out, different behaviors are triggered more obviously/repeatedly depending on the nature/demand of the projects we work on...so there are trade-offs to using different builds.

http://www.deankrommydas.com
Mac Mini, VisionDAWorkstations
Overture, Dorico, Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase, VEPro
RME Fireface, MOTU, Mackie, Arturia, Stream Deck XL
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I just worked on another band score and when I entered a chord name, through the chords menu, on the piano staff, the guitar staff became all jumbled. I did the double click to highlight that measure in the guitar part, and hit Transcribe, but it still got jumbled when I added a chord symbol on the other staff. I'm not sure what to do. Why on earth would anything I do to a staff screw up another staff.
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Another easier workaround would be to delete both of your second measure chord symbols, after which you can then delete your second measure trombone notes, then add your chord symbols for your second measure back again.

Perhaps adding your chord symbols should be the last thing you do after entering your notes and slash notes so as to not screw up your formatting ???
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

It seems it is a bug with the chords entry . In the measures where it occurs I am just using the text tool to enter the chord name, instead of the chord menu. It's just too crazy to deal with any other way. Interestingly, it just seems to happen in one measure in each score, and not the same measure ( !! )
I am going to create a new "band" template (specific for the 8 piece group I play with) and save it. Maybe there is a corruption in the old template I have been using.
Thanks for the input.
Pete