Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:07 pm 

Options/Play Style/In Swing doesn't work quite right.

If all offbeats are 8ths (with ties or whatnot) the playback is correct. However, notating this way is often unclear. Frequently in jazz, there are offbeat quarters or dotted quarters to make the syncopation clear and easy to read for the performers. For now, these offbeat quarters and dotted quarters are played back unswung (I suppose because the swing playback algorithm is only scanning for offbeat 8ths). This causes playback to be an awkward combination of swung and unswung upbeats. There are workarounds, including renotating specifically for playback or manually shifting the incorrectly swung notes, but we shouldn't have to do either of these.

It would be nice to have at least offbeat quarters and dotted quarters incorporated into the swing playback option. There are additional problems with offbeat 16ths, etc. but let's at least first fix these additional basic offbeat rhythms so that they swing correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 pm 
Super User

I gave up on Play-In Swing a long time ago.
Manually swing quantize using NOTES>QUANTIZE and set eighth notes, start time and duration to 62% (avoids the 12/8 feel).
Vary the value down to about 55% for fast numbers.
Select the staves by sections (Brass, saxes, rhythm) and avoid triplets and 16ths.
I find that works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:04 am 

I just noticed today that dragging things around in the midi editor has no effect if "In Swing" is selected. Aside from the clunky upbeat issues outlined above, I can't actually "fix" those beats that aren't swung properly.

Plus as an added bonus, because moving notes in the midi editor has no effect on playback, there are also no grace notes possible. Jazz without grace notes just ain't jazz. I can't for the life of me figure out why "In Swing" should have the restriction of locking everything down.

I guess the swing algorithm isn't looking at the notation per se, but apparently looking for uniformly fixed midi data, which is the easier of the two ways to go about it, but unfortunately this approach doesn't swing all the upbeats as required (see above), while leaving needless midi editing restrictions in its wake.