Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dymanics line-up
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:49 am 
Rambo User

That all the items in the dymanics menu (p, f etc, but also hairpins and cresc and dim [yes dim not decresc please]) should be treated the same when it comes to automatic vertical positioning. So a shift click on the dynamic position indicator should make them all line up with each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Admin

This already works, doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Don wrote:

In the latest patch, it does work for dynamic markings. However, the horizontal alignment is not appealing (try aligning mp, cresc and a hairpin and you'll see what I mean). Furthermore, one may want the option to align (include) expression palette items along with dynamics. A toggle switch within the "edit expression" dialog could help the user choose which expression aligns or not (and/or right click that expression on the score to allow/disallow alignment).

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Well it will be fixed in the next update. I should have the MAC Intel version ready tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:04 pm 
Rambo User

Don wrote:

Hi Don
Here's an example which, I hope, illustrates the problem. (Think Clarinet, where notes below the staff on ledger lines are nothing unusual.)

Line A
1. I entered the notes.
2. I set "Show Dynamic Positions" and dragged the marker down to a level below the notes.
3. I entered the p, mf, & p, and they landed in their default positions in line with the marker.
4. I entered the hairpins. They defaulted to a position just below the staff, except that the first one tries to avoid clashing with the notes - not very successfully as it overlaps the tie.
5. I entered a decresc. which defaulted to just below the note; I then had to double-click it to alter the text to dim. with the unfortunate consequence that some trailing dashes appeared.

Line B
I shift-clicked the marker - upon which the hairpins and dim flew back to just below the staff, clashing even worse than before.

Line C
I had to drag things individually to where I wanted them, i.e. all in line with each other (and left-drag the unwanted dashes). Any subsequent use of shift-click would mess it up again, of course.

When one has 12 pages of notes and markings for "bass clarinet in A" (a non-existent instrument known only to Rachmaninov), to transpose to Bb treble-clef, these issues become quite important!

Footnote: had a rehearsal today. My Overture part is very readable and professional looking - worth the effort, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:14 am 
Rambo User

4.1.5 patch 0 (Nice to see one! Thanks).

Line up better but:

a) dragging dynamics tab up & down only moves p, f etc, not hairpins or cresc/dim

b) doesn't work above the staff (required for choral music)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just for John (Choral Music) this has been added or fixed depending on how you look at it. Get the patch one more time and try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:35 pm 
Rambo User

Thanks, Don. Not sure it's "just for me" though. There must be others who sometimes have lyrics and dynamics in the same piece of music (not all vocal music is sung by Harry Seacombe or Tommy Scott).

My summary of the situation, which is quite interesting in its behaviour:

1. Items when first clicked into place default to the level of the dynamics tab. This applies to all the symbol, hairpin and text dynamics. They can, however, be clicked onto the wrong side of the staff (above if the tab is below, etc.) when they go into a standard position near the staff.
2. Shift-clicking the tab brings items back into line if they have been individually moved up or down, but only those on the same side (above or below) the staff.
3. Dragging the tab up or down moves all the dynamics - including those on the other side of the staff.
4. Holding ctrl during the above actions affects the current and all subsequent systems (as it always has done)
5. All the above are subject to anti-clash rules, which seem quite good, but appear to ignore slurs and ties.

The dragging of items on the other side (above or below) the staff as referred to in 3 seems at variance with the other principles, but has the potentially useful effect that if all the dynamics are dragged far enough so that they are all on the same side, a shift-click will align them. So this can be used to bring them all to the same side if necessary.

I'm happy enough with this!