Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Supporting Vocaloid 3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am 
God of XML

Yesterday, YAMAHA Japan put out a news release on Vocaloid 3. It will be shipped this September. The first Vocaloid 2 "Hatsune Miku" which was released four years ago is the bestselling sound library in Japan with a total of over 60 thousand copies already in print. That number is nothing short of extraordinary as a software-synthesizer or a sound library.

Their customers are mainly young people, and they are looking for nice tools to edit vocaloid's MIDI data and to compose backing music for the virtual singer "Miku". The current Vocaloid 2 suppots Rewire, and Vocaloid 3 would also support it.

If Overture and Scorewriter support Rewire and have some features with strong affinity for Vocaloid 2 and 3, I suppose that a lot of Vocaloid's users will pay attention to your both products. I don't know what feature is a key, but it's worth a study. I have a feeling that there is a big chance.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/news/2011/11060801.html
http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/prod/vocaloid/cv01.jsp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:24 pm 
Super User

Tatsu Nagao wrote:
I have a feeling that there is a big chance.

It certainly improved my knowledge of Japanese :lol:

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:02 pm 
Super User

Don and one of the 'guys' have discussed this in the past, and it seems like it was a viable option. Just never went anywhere. Rewire would also help me with some of my tasks. See the topic "Can Overture be rewired as an input to Sonar?" below in the list.
-Mike

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Tatsu,

Thank you for this. One of Overture 5's strengths will be its ability to work smoothly with sample libraries. We're designing a new interface to simplify the whole process. We'll look into this when the time comes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:54 am 
God of XML

Raymond,
I have much pleasure in introducing this video. Before you watch it, you know nothing about Japanese. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3SAszwBG8E

and, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFHWW8PuoDw

Mike,
My hope in the past was Overture will be a VSTi, but now Rewire.

Don,
Synchronization with video may be essential. The users of "Miku" often make CG videos, and like to upload them to websites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Guess what.

I have video working in Overture with synchronization. It's about 80% done. It will be either in Overture 5 or Overture 6. Haven't decided which, yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 am 
Super User

Tatsu Nagao wrote:
Raymond,
I have much pleasure in introducing this video. Before you watch it, you know nothing about Japanese. :)

The language of music is International.... no need to learn Japanses this time. Thanks, it was really great. Completely different from what I am used to, but nevertheless ok.

Thanks,

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:48 am 
God of XML

Raymond63 wrote:
Tatsu Nagao wrote:
Raymond,

The language of music is International.... no need to learn Japanses this time. Thanks, it was really great. Completely different from what I am used to, but nevertheless ok.

Thanks,

Raymond

You mean "Japanese" as Japanese language?
I myself found that I didn't understand Japanese people of these days when I watched the videos. Who can understand those boys who love the 3D-CG girl? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:59 am 
God of XML

Don wrote:
Guess what.

I have video working in Overture with synchronization. It's about 80% done. It will be either in Overture 5 or Overture 6. Haven't decided which, yet.

Don,

Now is the time to act. Not at 6, do at 5. :D
"Miku" is going to do a concert at California next month, supported by TOYOTA motors America. And perhaps she will do the world tour.
While previous Vocaloids can sing only English and Japanese, Vocaloid 3 can sing English, Japanese, Spanish, Korean and Chinese. This means there will be many potential competitors in the market. A Korean developer is making a software for Vocaloid 3 now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Tell me what I have to do. I don't understand exactly what Overture need in order to work with Vocaloid 3. Is there something small that I can add that would do it. I have already made the first step in integrating with sample libraries. By next week i could have Overture loading the sample directly. What I mean is that when the user chooses to insert a violin, they choose the sample library and the instrument from our xml list, and Overture loads the player and sample all at once. No need to first load the player, load the sample, and then connect it with Overture. This can now be done in one step.

Please let me know what is needed (Details). Adding rewire quickly is not a possibility, so give another alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:30 am 
God of XML

Don,

At least, Sync with video would be essential. In the near future after a study, I'll tell you what is needed to grab the interest of "Vocalo" enthusiasts. Until the end of this September, I can't get Vocaloid 3. I predict you'll not need to do a big thing except Rewire hosting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 am 
God of XML

Energy XT already developed "ReWire VST" that is a VSTi plug-in which hosts rewire applications. It's just 19 euro. With it in the VST rack, Overture does not necessarily need to have the unique Rewire hosting feature.

http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=0115

But, I'm not sure if Overture can synchronize the rewire applications or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

What I don't understand, is how Overture will work with Vocaloid, even if it had rewire. As I see it lyrics and notes need to be sent to Vocaloid . Can rewire send lyrics? Remember I don't know anything about how Vocaloid works, but I'm trying to get a copy and take a look. It's even hard to find a place to purchase it.

Last edited by Don on Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm 
Super User

Quote:
You mean "Japanese" as Japanese language?
I myself found that I didn't understand Japanese people of these days when I watched the videos. Who can understand those boys who love the 3D-CG girl? :shock:

Sorry for the type error. I mean of course Japanese language. I wish to learn and meet Japanese people. They always have lots and lots of stories [met a few during a spanish grammar course in Spain a couple of years ago]. And about that 3D-girl.... we all live in a virtual world, don't we?

Greetings,

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:23 pm 
God of XML

Don wrote:
What I don't understand, is how Overture will work with Vocaloid, even if it had rewire. As I see it lyrics and notes need to be sent to Vocaloid . Can rewire send lyrics? Remember I don't know anything about how Vocaloid works, but I'm trying to get a copy and take a look. It's even hard to find a place to purchase it.

Vocaloid packages have a standalone application "VOCALOID Editor" with which the users enter melody and lyrics. So, the main role of Overture would be making and playing backing music. Sync with video would be required in doing so. The melody and lyrics data can be exported from the Editor as a SMF which includes a lot of NRPN which are mainly lyrics and their expression data, and DAWs import it and send the data to Vocaloid VSTi or Rewire. Rewire is preferred by the users for the reason that some DAWs (for example Sonar) can't send NRPN correctly to VSTi.
( http://www9.atwiki.jp/boare/pages/102.html )

This is a picture of new Volacaloid 3 Editor which YAMAHA released recently.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/m3e6mracdiclag88zed1.jpg
The new Editor will work as if it was a DAW. It will support VST plug-ins, and import one or two audio tracks (wave files) for backing music. And, it will have a simple mixer. But I guess the users will continue to use it as just a lyrics editor. I suppose YAMAHA developed this all-in-one feature for junior high-school students or potential users who don't have other audio tools.

What I think I should study in the near future are,
1. Which synthes and sound libraries for backing are the most popular among current Vocalo users?
2. How can Overture help editing controllers and NRPN to avoid virtual singers' artificialness?
3. What is attractive for the users other than #1 and #2?
The #2 seems more difficult to study than item #1. Maybe Overture will have to edit and send NRPN to Vocaloid. If it is implemented, it would be a killer feature for the Vocalo users who are having difficulties breathing life into Vocaloids.

Zero-G in UK is selling Vocaloid 2 softwares, PRIMA, SONIKA and TONIO. http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=804
The sales of Hatsune Miku is the clear number one beyond comparison, though. If you are interested in purchasing Hatsune Miku, Crypton Future Media in Sapporo city might help you. They are her developer and also selling many sound libraries as a wholesaler.
http://www.crypton.co.jp/mp/pages/aboutus/ e-mail: mpsales@crypton......
Amazon Japan is selling Miku, but they will not ship it to USA, maybe.

I think you should release Overture 5 as soon as possible, so I don't expect much from it. However something interesting for the Vocalo users is a good thing. It also would help you get good marketing partners in the world, especially in Japan. What if 10% of the Miku users purchase Oveture 5 or Score Writer 5?