Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: staff spacing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:54 am 
Rambo User

Each staff to have its own space-above and space-below user-settable values.

This would cover the need for larger spacing where there are lyrics, and also for instruments where there are many notes with a lot of ledger lines below or above (or both - e.g. bassoon parts).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 am 
Super User

John,
Everybody may be shying away from touching this one. I think we already have adequate controls over staff spacing. In particular, there is an Avoid collisions checkbox in Score->Respace Staves. This has saved me a number of times, but sometimes it is a little too generous with extra spacing.

I am not making light of your suggestion, but I might not yet understand the advantage the new setting would give me. You are obviously thinking outside of the box here, so would you care to give us more detail for the advantage you are trying to describe? Maybe a score fragment or two?
-Mike

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 am 
Rambo User

Here's an example in words: I'm creating a score for wind quintet and choir. That's 5 staves without lyrics, and 4 or more with lyrics. Also, the flute and oboe never go below middle C (say), while the clarinet can go down 5 ledger lines (in concert pitch) and up quite a few. The bassoon has quite a range too. Not to mention the Altos in the choir going lower on a treble-clef staff than any other voice part.

So when the score is finished there may well be systematic differences between the spacing of the choral staves and the instrument staves, and, for that matter between individual staves. Of course, if there's plenty of space on the page, it's possible to space all the staves evenly.

I can only say that, when I created my complete Monteverdi Vespers score (which is on http://www.johnkilpatrick.co.uk/music/1610/index.htm) I would have found the proposed feature very useful during both the creatioin and the final layout stages. Though, ultimately, of course, I took the trouble to spend some time on each of the individual near-200 full-score pages, as I imagine anyone would.