Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:21 am 

I don't know if this has been requested previously, but I have had recent need of multiple simultaneous meters, a feature which Overture currently lacks.

I think both of Don's two main competitors allow for multiple simultaneous meters, and it is commonly seen in many published scores, e.g., 6/8 in some parts while the others are in 2/4, or 12/8 along with 4/4, etc.

The utility in this is that certain players won't require an extensive sequence of tuplets in their parts, and instead can rely upon the written meter for their particular part. That is the simplest example in that the barlines all still align and is definitely the easiest to program.

A more complex option would to have non-aligning multiple simultaneous meters where the barlines don't align, e.g., 3/4 along with 5/4 or 9/8 with 7/8. These latter examples would not typically appear in a score to be conducted, but would definitely have use in chamber scores where, say, the music is aligned on the 8th note, but the natural meter in the various parts is not the same. Of course, a lot of this can be worked-around by means of beaming or phrasing, but it would be nice to have the option to accomplish the same need via the part's meter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Biggles wrote:
I don't know if this has been requested previously, but I have had recent need of multiple simultaneous meters, a feature which Overture currently lacks.

I made the same request some years ago and still think it should be in any serious notation software. There is a graphic workaround, but that's a very tedious job to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:32 pm 

I've also requested it. At the time Don commented that he may have a way forward for this in connection with Parts. I require only integer numerators and denominators. (I notice that one of 7/4 pieces should be strictly notated as 4/4 + 2/3, but I decline to do that as it would be unduly confusing to the reader).

As the competition has brought out ever newer versions, I have enquired off their Tech Support whether their software now supported it. The answer has always been highly qualified - which I have taken to mean 'no'.

At the moment I am faking it up, which is not ideal - a non-active time signature would have helped a lot ;-).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:07 pm 
Rambo User

Can't remember whether I supported the earlier request, but I agree that the feature should be included if possible.

I suppose I'm thinking of the classical 6/8 versus 2/4 as mentioned (and the similar cases), though 6/8 v. 3/4 would make sense also. But - who knows - it might be possible to run (for example) 5/4 against 7/4 in equal bar lengths, or other such horrors: generalisation is often the key to success.

Post subject: workaround
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:28 pm 

I found that if one uses a composite meter 4/4 ( 12/8 ), simple simultaneous meters may be simulated. However, all the 12/8 stuff has to be entered as bracketed triplets and the brackets then have to be selected and made invisible.

That fact that all the parts in an orchestral score would need to see the composite signature isn't that big a deal, though it would be better if they only saw the meter that applied.

Having to enter everything as tuplets and then hidden is a major inconvenience if lots of parts are involved for an extensive number of measures, hence the desire for an actual, multiple-meter feature. (See attached below).

http://www.box.net/shared/ldv2v3ia8j1jci2e94ju

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:13 am 

Long ago I wait that! Please, it's time to have it!