Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fingering tools
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:52 am 
Site Admin

The main labour I do with Overture is making pianoscores so I have to use the Fingering tools in the Ornament button a lot. It would be very convenient for me if I could switch between the numbers by using the keyboard shortcuts (1,2,3,4,5).

Post subject: Re: Fingering tools
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Now think about it and let me have some fun with you. What are (1,2,3,4,5) used for right now. Oh, note durations. Are note durations important and common? They seem to be very important to me. Remember programs are designed for the masses, not specific uses. I just wrote a post on where Apple used cmd-h for a task that is rarely used. But notation programs use cmd-h for enharmonics. Sorry but there will have to be a better solution.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Have fun as much as you like. :)
I'm aware of the fact that numbers are used for note durations, I'm using this program for some time. But I was wandering if selecting the Ornaments palette could overrule this.
Like this: where do we use the character 'c' for: Oh, for the arrow tool. Hm, but not when the chord library is opened.
But then, I'm not a programmer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Yes but the Chord Window is a mode window and not a palette just like the step input window. You can have many palettes working at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:03 am 
Site Admin

Don wrote:
Yes but the Chord Window is a mode window and not a palette just like the step input window. You can have many palettes working at the same time.

Understood. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Bart wrote:
The main labour I do with Overture is making pianoscores so I have to use the Fingering tools in the Ornament button a lot. It would be very convenient for me if I could switch between the numbers by using the keyboard shortcuts (1,2,3,4,5).

I've said it many times in the past but can't overstate it enough it seems; a simple macro utility program does wonders for apps like Overture. Yes, it's true that Overture could benefit greatly from assignable hot keys for macros and scripts. In the meantime, a macro utility can do all that and more.

As an example for Bart's case above: The ALT key in combination with numbers 1-5, is not currently assigned in Overture (unless I'm mistaken). You can use this combination in a macro utility to call up the fingering numbers from the palette.

Now go get yourself a macro utility program already...
Once you try it, you'll never look back! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

You all don't seem to get the problem. Open up ten tool palettes and tell me what should the key assignments be for each cell in each palette. Now remember them within a day or two so you don't need a manual or cheat sheet. What are the key assignments going to be for the articulations. I use way more articulations that ornaments so shouldn't that palette have a preference.

Ex. Bart prefers this palette, Robert uses another, Joseph uses another, and so on. Until I figure out the correct solution that works for all I am not going to make this a program that requires a manual to remember the key strokes. It's way too hard to remember what key strokes assignments unless they are intuitive.

You don't know how many times I have been thanked for making my key assignments intuitive, especially 1-whole, 2-half, 4-quarter, 6-sixteenth, etc. Overture key assignments are very easy to remember and I'm going to keep it that way. Finale and Sibelius didn't even get it and that is why it is so much slower to enter scores unless you spend months learning menus, dialogs, key assignments.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 pm 
Super User

Long time ago at another forum somebody had a similar problem. There was some solution. I did a quick search on the Net and found this one:

http://www.autohotkey.com/

I think it was the one they came up with in the past. Hopefully it helps.

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

I know about these, but they only work if previous key strokes are already assigned and as I said before I am not going to assign random keystrokes to everything in the program to fulfill a few people's requests. This topic will be deleted tomorrow, enough is enough.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
You don't know how many times I have been thanked for making my key assignments intuitive, especially 1-whole, 2-half, 4-quarter, 6-sixteenth, etc. Overture key assignments are very easy to remember and I'm going to keep it that way.

Thank you again!

http://www.deankrommydas.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Don wrote:
I know about these, but they only work if previous key strokes are already assigned and as I said before I am not going to assign random keystrokes to everything in the program to fulfill a few people's requests. This topic will be deleted tomorrow, enough is enough.

Let's all relax now....yes, you too Don :)

I may have been unclear in my reply. All that's required for Bart to easily access his fingering numbers is to have that palette open and always set in his preferred location (or any combination of palettes...and then saved to preferences). Once done, you can use a third party macro utility program to assign mouse clicks to anywhere on the screen (the palette and desired icon in this case...).

No extra programming or previous keystrokes are needed.

There...now if Don still feels he wants to close this thread, hopefully enough of you will have read this clarification first. :|

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you because that is how I work if I'm using a palette. I place the palette right next to me and have very little mouse movement.

OK apparently no one knows about this little trick and that might be my fault. If you really like using a keyboard for speed, here is a shortcut for entering items ornaments and articulations.

1. Place your blinking cursor before a note.
2. Type Alt-Right Arrow. The next note is selected. if needed Alt-Up or Down arrow to move through chords.
3. Ctrl->Click the ornament (number you want to add). This adds an ornament to selected notes.
4. Type Alt-Right Arrow to move to next note and select it.

You don't have to move the mouse except of the desired ornament.

How is that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:25 pm 
Super User

Don wrote:
How is that?

Cool!