Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Linux version?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:14 pm 

Enough is enough... I've about had it with Micro$oft. Latest thing was a "very important update" that turned out to be Windows Genuine Advantage, which is now installed successfully (oh boy). Since my PC was acquired with a volume license on it, it is very likely that WGA will report that I'm a victim (a guilty one, no less) of software piracy (please pay $200 and do not pass go.)

SO, I know Don is very busy working on the Mac version. But somewhere down the road is there a possibility of a Linux version?

(Or perhaps someone has experience with how to get the Windows version to run on Linux. Or maybe the Mac version will run on Linux.)

Post subject: Re: Linux version?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:18 pm 
God of Transposition

reedy71 wrote:
Enough is enough... I've about had it with Micro$oft. Latest thing was a "very important update" that turned out to be Windows Genuine Advantage, which is now installed successfully (oh boy). Since my PC was acquired with a volume license on it, it is very likely that WGA will report that I'm a victim (a guilty one, no less) of software piracy (please pay $200 and do not pass go.)

SO, I know Don is very busy working on the Mac version. But somewhere down the road is there a possibility of a Linux version?

(Or perhaps someone has experience with how to get the Windows version to run on Linux. Or maybe the Mac version will run on Linux.)

Have you tried WINE??? Finale will run on some distros under WINE, but MIDI has proven to be difficult.

Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone

Post subject: Re: Linux version?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:20 pm 

Quote:
Have you tried WINE??? Finale will run on some distros under WINE, but MIDI has proven to be difficult.

No. I'm just beginning Linux in any form. I heard WINE works fairly well, except for some games. I was thinking ahead to someday.

Last edited by reedy71 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:45 pm 

Just a thing I noticed when playing midi's in Ubuntu (11.04):
The instruments will not default to the first GM instrument, Acoustic Piano, if you failed to select an instrument patch for the file. Instead you simply get silence.

All Windows players I've used will regard this '-1' (no patch) setting as '0' and play piano, but not in Linux it seems.

So if you want to make sure your exported midi's get heard in LinuxLand, pick an actual patch.

Often I've also left the MIDI Volume setting untouched and I think that's another '-1' value that should be strictly set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 am 
Site Admin

After my current difficulty with Windows and the wonderful world of rootkit viruses, I too would not mind seeing a native Linux version... I would venture to say that it may happen in the future. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:36 pm 

For some reason I was thinking proprietary and purchasable software didn't exist in Linux, but GuitarPro is an example of such a notation program (32bit Ubuntu 9.10 as well as Win and Mac).
So if there's a way of converting Overture without starting from scratch (probably not), that would be great. (with feature: Output to .wav or .ogg :))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:25 am 

Is there much of a commercial market for Linux software? I think Linux has tremendous potential, but it's not realized and may never be. I'd rather see Overture survive by meeting the competition in the two larger markets. Asking for both might be fine except that Don already has a lot of work to do . . . :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:08 am 

Maybe I'm thinking more Android and smaller screen setups and that Overture has that distinct advantage of being the most wysiwyg of the bunch, keeping dialog boxes at a minimum, etc.
But you're right that the idea of paid software would turn off many within that already small fraction known as linux users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I don't want to get you too excited but there is a possibility of a Linux version down the road.