Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:40 pm 
I frequently use the keyboard shortcuts for notes (N for natural, F for flat, etc.) Is there - or can there be - a similar way to do this for "cautions" or "courtesy" accidentals like (#)? I find my workflow is interrupted by having to delete existing notes and re-enter them, as opposed to just highlighting the note and hitting an N, F or S.

On a related subject, is there a way to have Ove4 display a natural sign (without the parenthesis) in the key of C? I type in a lot of old music that has natural signs after a note that was previously holding an accidental. Overture won't let me display a natural when it knows the sign isn't necessary (so I have to use a caution/courtesy note with the parenthesis) - I want to override that!

Any info will be helpful, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:41 pm 

Try alt clicking in order to force a caution accidental. For more info, search the term "Cautionary" in the Find tab of Help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:51 pm 
Well, the alt-click doesn't do it for me. But I discovered that if I select the cautionary accidental and then hit N, S or F, well, that'll give me what I want.

Now if there's a way to force a "non-bracketed" accidental where Ove4 doesn't believe it should be located....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:04 pm 
Rambo User

Selecting either a bracketed or non-bracketed accidental from the note palette and alt-clicking a note forces the note to have that accidental if -
either: Options/Preferences/Attach Note Palette Accidentals is unticked
or: in some other circumstances that I haven't been able to pin down

The keyboard shortcuts replace the selecting-the-accidental stage above, but don't exist for bracketed ones.

Another method is to press the short-cut key for the accidental after the short-cut key for the note value. So to enter a forced B-natural crotchet in a bar which previously contains a Bb, press 4 then press N then mouse-click the note into position. But this works only if Attach Note Palette Accidentals is ticked.

So this is what I do:
1. I avoid bracketed accidentals. I don't care whether people think I don't know they "ought to have brackets". Unbracketed ones take less space, and serve the purpose of getting the right note played.
2. I keep the Attach box ticked.
3. If working left-to-right and I need a cautionary accidental I do what I've said above.
4. If I have to go back and add a cautionary accidental later, I press the accidental short cut key and try alt-clicking on the note. If it doesn't work, I find the easiest thing is to select the note and press R to change it to a rest, then enter the note again.

Hope that helps. Or perhaps you can help me by an easier approach!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:30 pm 
Thanks John - that worked! For others, here's a quick way to put an accidental in front of a note that shouldn't have one:

- Options > Preferences - uncheck Attach Note Palette Accidentals
- Click on the accidental
- Go to note and Alt-Click on it

And that's it. I'm so pleased to be able to do this!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 am 

Actually, there's no need to do this with Alt+click; a simple click will do it, too.