Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am 

Hi everybody

Was wondering if this request could be of use to anybody ? I don’t know if it was already in a post somewhere.

Example 1
1) In 4/4, enter a dotted half note .
2) A quarter rest appears on the last beat (that’s ok).
3) Select the dotted half note, because now you decided that you want a whole note instead. Hit 1.
4) Even after the whole note appears, the quarter rest stays there. So you have to select it and delete it.

Example 2
1) In 4/4, enter 4 quarter notes.
2) You decide that you want a half note on beats 1 & 2 instead
3) Select the first quarter note type 2 and the quarter note on the second beat stays there. So you have to select it and delete it.
4) Likewise if you delete the second quarter note before typing 2 on the first, you get a rest and changing to half note doesn’t remove the rest.

Wouldn’t be less time consuming if when you change a note or rest value all the other values in the measure were directly adjusted to fit the time signature ?

In step input it works well to a certain extent. But if you enter 4 quarter notes and replace the first with a dotted quarter, no 1/8 rest appears...

Am I missing something ?

Pierre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Pierre Julien wrote:
Hi everybody

Was wondering if this request could be of use to anybody ? I don’t know if it was already in a post somewhere.

Example 1
1) In 4/4, enter a dotted half note .
2) A quarter rest appears on the last beat (that’s ok).
3) Select the dotted half note, because now you decided that you want a whole note instead. Hit 1.
4) Even after the whole note appears, the quarter rest stays there. So you have to select it and delete it.

Agreed. However, you can also select the measure and retranscribe.

Quote:
Example 2
1) In 4/4, enter 4 quarter notes.
2) You decide that you want a half note on beats 1 & 2 instead
3) Select the first quarter note type 2 and the quarter note on the second beat stays there. So you have to select it and delete it.
4) Likewise if you delete the second quarter note before typing 2 on the first, you get a rest and changing to half note doesn’t remove the rest.

I see what you mean but there is another scenerio where we may not want the following (2nd) note to be replaced/removed. What if, in step 2, you replace the first quater by a half (as you say) but that you actually want the second quarter to stay as is, and have the 4th note removed instead?

Quote:
Wouldn’t be less time consuming if when you change a note or rest value all the other values in the measure were directly adjusted to fit the time signature ?

In step input it works well to a certain extent. But if you enter 4 quarter notes and replace the first with a dotted quarter, no 1/8 rest appears...

Am I missing something ?

Pierre

I think it could work as an option...but there would be a couple of variations needed for this option. On the whole, I think it would be beneficial for all. Whether it will actually happen is another matter.

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:28 pm 

Hi Berns

Thanks for your response. When we enter the world of requests, it seems everybody enters their own planet. Which is not pejorative, the hard work is getting all these planets together...

I see what you mean, I never used retranscribe before. In example #1, the unwanted rest is deleted.

But if there are 4 quarter notes, something bizarre happens when I replace the first note with a whole note, select the measure and choose ctrl+r, the 3 last notes get pushed to the next measure and appear as raw notes… Is it a bug ?

As for example 2, well yeah, you’re right. Different needs… Like you say it could be included in a set of options. I got into that ‘cause I was trying some stuff in Sibelius which does exactly what I was trying to do. And I got into that “horrible” frame of thinking saying to myself “now why can’t Overture do that ?”. Very unproductive…

Oh yeah, one more question Berns. This is probably not the right section to answer me, but I was wondering. How do you put your small videos to explain your subjects ? Is it ever a pain to write a novel each time you want to explain something…

Anyway it’s past midnight over here so I’ll go sleep it off.
All the best

Pierre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Pierre Julien wrote:
I see what you mean, I never used retranscribe before. In example #1, the unwanted rest is deleted.

But if there are 4 quarter notes, something bizarre happens when I replace the first note with a whole note, select the measure and choose ctrl+r, the 3 last notes get pushed to the next measure and appear as raw notes… Is it a bug ?

It might be a bug, but it looks like Overture is trying to intelligently push the other notes out of the way...sort of.

Quote:
As for example 2, well yeah, you’re right. Different needs… Like you say it could be included in a set of options. I got into that ‘cause I was trying some stuff in Sibelius which does exactly what I was trying to do. And I got into that “horrible” frame of thinking saying to myself “now why can’t Overture do that ?”. Very unproductive…

I love the way some things are done in Sibelius as well...but to be honest, I'm not too crazy about all the auto-correcting it does when I input notes. Different strokes for different folks I guess. In some ways, I prefer the semi-manual approach Overture takes...but I have added my thoughts about some improvements in the area, a feature request you can read about here: http://sonicscores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9495

I've also aften mentioned how we should be able to use a midi keyboard for step input use on the staff WITHOUT the need for the step input window. Encore and Sibelius do this. Simplicity at its best.

Quote:
Oh yeah, one more question Berns. This is probably not the right section to answer me, but I was wondering. How do you put your small videos to explain your subjects ? Is it ever a pain to write a novel each time you want to explain something…

Anyway it’s past midnight over here so I’ll go sleep it off.
All the best

Pierre

Go here: http://www.techsmith.com/

They have a few apps that do the job. I'm also using Easy GIF Animator.

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:57 am 

Hi Berns

Thanks for the input. Even if once in a while I wish this or that would fit my own personal needs, I still am a true believer in Overture.
Read your post from 2008. We’re talking more or less about the same thing or at least on the same path. Not too sure about the grid though, but it could be a preference.

And yes, entering notes via a midi keyboard without entering the step input window. I use the keyboard as my main input. Also, an easier way to select the input of chord names, because I often forget to toggle back to notes in the step window. Then I start entering notes without looking at the screen and I get a bunch of chord names…

A transpose button in the main tool bar, to toggle directly from a concert to transposed score, like in…… no no, I won’t mention it…

I must start to write down all these issues and different needs. Usually, I find a workaround and forget about it.

I'll definitely have a look at the gif animator.

Well thanks again
Have a nice day

Pierre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Pierre Julien wrote:
...A transpose button in the main tool bar, to toggle directly from a concert to transposed score, like in…… no no, I won’t mention it…

Something like this was discussed here: http://www.sonicscores.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6220

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:20 pm 

BernMeister wrote:
I've also aften mentioned how we should be able to use a midi keyboard for step input use on the staff WITHOUT the need for the step input window. Encore and Sibelius do this. Simplicity at its best.

Oooh, this would be so cool. I agree - the easier things work, the better!