Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I’m rather surprised that we don’t have a separate function that allows us to flatten a beam for a selection of notes. At present, we have to set “flat beams” in the setup track, then select the notes containing the beam(s) you want to flatten, and then rebeam. And, if you don’t want any further flat beaming to occur in your score on newly entered notation, you have to go back into the setup track and turn flat beams off…how annoying! Would it be difficult to include a flat beam function under the notes/beam menu to accomplish this?

Admittedly, I tried to set a hot key sequence to mimic the above request…but unfortunately, I was unsuccessful because of the mouse and menu combinations required; Overture wasn’t content (or couldn’t keep up) with the macro’s speed of execution (I’ll have to keep trying).

N.B. Setting “Flat beams” in both treble and bass clef setup tracks (for piano) has no effect on cross-staff beaming.

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am 

Oh yes, seconded.

I think implementing this as a menu option would be quite simple, as well as guaranteeing truly horizonatal beams. And would save an enormouse (sic!) amount of time for the user.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 am 
Site Admin

BernMeister wrote:
Would it be difficult to include a flat beam function under the notes/beam menu to accomplish this?
Berns

Don't think it would and I'd be pleased to welcome this feature!
But, to be honest, it takes me more time to slant the beams the way I want to (oldfashioned) than to flatten them. This was on a topic quite a long time ago (it may have been posted by myself that time, but I'm not a keeper of the records).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 am 
Site Admin

Bart wrote:
...But, to be honest, it takes me more time to slant the beams the way I want to (oldfashioned) than to flatten them. This was on a topic quite a long time ago (it may have been posted by myself that time, but I'm not a keeper of the records).

If you're referring to having a function that sets the slant percentage in some way (i.e Patterson beaming), then I'm with you. However, let's hope that doesn't mean resorting to "plug-in" territory? I'm not sure I would want Overture to go the third party route...would you?

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:16 am 
Rambo User

Some way of auto-flattening tuplet brackets would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:44 pm 

Quote:
Some way of auto-flattening tuplet brackets would be nice

I'll second you on that John. The inclination of certain tuplet brackets are phenomenal sometimes and not very nice to the eye.

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)
http://pierrejulien.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin

Pierre Julien wrote:
Quote:
Some way of auto-flattening tuplet brackets would be nice

I'll second you on that John. The inclination of certain tuplet brackets are phenomenal sometimes and not very nice to the eye.

I agree here too....and there was some discussion in this thread (among others). But flattening beams and flattening tuplet brackets should be treated separately. i.e. The tuplet issue is a little more serious. If I get a chance, I'll take snippets of the above-linked thread and post a feature request, mockup and all.

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:08 pm 

I wonder what other items might need flattening?

I'm thinking that a generalised flatten operation could be implemented. As the items mentioned above are described by pairs (or sets) of coordinates, i,e. (x1, y1), (x2, y2), ... which represent their end points, then in principle all that is needed is to set y1 and y2 to the same numeric value. The questions to resolve include (a) should y2 be set to y1, or y1 to y2, or both to some other value?, (b) what to call this operation ("flatten" of course also having a musical meaning)?