Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

As tempo changes in real life are rarely linear, does anyone else feel that other preset slopes would be useful in the edit expressions dialog? i.e. exponential, concave...

Edit: As per Pierre Julien's request, I've added the same feature request for relative dynamics as well.

Berns

Last edited by BernMeister on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 am 

Hi Berns
Well I’m not sure I would’ve thought about the necessity of having it. But if it were there, I’d probably use it.

One thing though, that comes to my mind in the same line of idea, is right beneath the tempo entry, why not add a dynamic box ?

My idea is this : sometimes instead of putting a hairpin that spans for 15 measures, one can put the expression for example : cresc. poco a poco , with a dashed line or nothing, ending with a dynamic mark at measure 15. So, with that dynamic box one could edit the cresc poco a poco expression and enter, let’s say, 50 to 120 from measures 1 to 15.

I know I can probably do this in the graphics window, but I never go there. I mean, it’s not a judgment against people who know how to use it, but for me it’s a waste of time. Too much parameters, it’s like learning music again from the beginning. So even for the small amount of midi settings I usually do on a score, if I can directly do them by clicking on an object, the happier I am.

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)
http://pierrejulien.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Pierre Julien wrote:
...One thing though, that comes to my mind in the same line of idea, is right beneath the tempo entry, why not add a dynamic box ?

My idea is this : sometimes instead of putting a hairpin that spans for 15 measures, one can put the expression for example : cresc. poco a poco , with a dashed line or nothing, ending with a dynamic mark at measure 15. So, with that dynamic box one could edit the cresc poco a poco expression and enter, let’s say, 50 to 120 from measures 1 to 15.

I know I can probably do this in the graphics window, but I never go there. I mean, it’s not a judgment against people who know how to use it, but for me it’s a waste of time. Too much parameters, it’s like learning music again from the beginning. So even for the small amount of midi settings I usually do on a score, if I can directly do them by clicking on an object, the happier I am.

Good idea Pierre. I've editted the post and title, and replaced the pic in the above post.

Berns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:59 am 

Hi Berns

Yep, that's what I was thinking about.

Thanks

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)
http://pierrejulien.net