Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Don,

I posted after a recent little tease comment on the new video window that is being implemented into the upcoming version of Overture but I am not sure if you got my response on the differences in accuracy between MIDITIMECODE and MIDICLOCK and how important that is.

More than just for professional and truly accurate video syncronization purposes...in the event someone wants to use Overture in conjunction with another program as a VST host it will also be an added benefit as there are VST libraries that will not sync to a program that will not export MTC. There are work-a-rounds but they aren't fun or efficient.

I just figured because you are working on a video window and sync I would put in this request to please implement the exporting of MTC from Overture for true accuracy. I of course have no idea how involved that is for you.

Thank you!

Oh and if it is possible to have the actual MTC display on the video - that would be amazing! :D

http://www.deankrommydas.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:32 pm 
Super User

What about SMTPE? Would that be better for video?
-Mike

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.

Last edited by Mike Bunker on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Mike Bunker wrote:
What about SMTPE? Would that be better vor video?
-Mike

Hey Mike,

It would be nice if it was a cut n' dry answer ...I am not a programmer or the developer but from the little I understand implementing MTC is meant for a MIDI based application like Overture. I was speaking more selfishly to the point of working with MIDI, stable setups & programs that not only I have but are commonly used.

As far as the two are concerned I read this nice comparison...not to justify my request or anything - just opening up the dialogue because I am still learning myself...

Quote:
SMPTE time code, otherwise known as LTC (Longitudinal Time Code), has been commonly used to synchronize tape decks and lots of other audio and video equipment for the past 20 years or so. With the widespread use of MIDI in the mid-1980s, a reliable method was needed to synchronize computer MIDI sequencers to tape machines (many of which already had SMPTE recorded on one tape track for other reasons). MTC (MIDI Time Code) was developed to facilitate this and for all practical purposes can be thought of as SMPTE Time Code in MIDI form.

Where LTC is an audio signal usually recorded to tape and decoded by a synchronizer, MTC is specifically for MIDI equipment and is only transmitted over MIDI. Most modern MIDI interfaces (such as a MIDI Time Piece) can convert LTC to MTC for the purpose of synchronizing your computer sequencer to tape.

The issue for me is that Midi Clock is basically a dinosaur and a step to MTC would be quite an advance in not only precision but in "compatibility" between programs & projects. As metioned above there are converters between SMPTE and MTC so we could make it work one way or another. Midi Clock has several flaws including lack of precision and compatibility...even when seemingly getting it to SYNC ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:34 am 
Super User

Dean,
Wow, great explanation. I learned a thing or three. I agree with you 100 %. Carry on...
-Mike

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe in Overture 4.5 and definitely in Overture 5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Don - awesome news! Either version you wind up getting this implemented into will be worth every penny for me. Can't wait!