Saving articulations keyswitches

This is where you ask specific questions on how to use Overture.
LeBeginner

Saving articulations keyswitches

Post by LeBeginner »

Hello !
I hope that everybody here is doing well and is safe!

I have one big question. I'm composing a short piece for piano and string ensembles an I use the Spitfire BBC SO.
I set all the articulation to fit with the BBC SO key switches.
My question is simple : How can I save all these keyswitches to call them back next time I'll need them in a new piece of music ?
Best regards.

Have fun with music !
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Saving articulations keyswitches

Post by PeteFine »

There isn't a way to save your keyswitch settings that I know of, but what I do is reuse a previous piece that has all my settings, delete all the notes, and rename it the new score. I take the "simplest" piece for that particular instrumentation... (all 4/4 for instance so I don't need to redo time signature changes, etc.)
An even better plan is to create a template.. for instance a piano and strings, or string quartet, or full orchestra, etc. with all the keyswitches already set and use that template for all future compositions, adding or subtracting instruments as needed.

Maybe someone here knows of a way to globally save keyswitches.. ?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

While Pete’s method is excellent and very useful and will probably suit your needs just fine, you can also use ‘User Presets’.

If you regularly use BBCSO (core or pro) and if you are regularly using a string ensemble or solo strings in your compositions, you can use instrument presets (an undocumented feature) that contain your keyswitch settings for your instrument’s articulations and expressions with the appropriate dynamic settings. These are set and saved per track. You can then just drag them onto your scoresheet as needed. It requires a bit of work, but if you routinely use the same instruments it sure makes things simpler in the long run. It gives you the added flexibility to be able to ‘plop’ the instrument wherever and whenever you want with all your keyswitch settings intact. You can label the preset ‘BBCSO Violin1 Solo’ or BBCSO Violin 1 Section (16)’ as opposed to, say for example, ‘ASO Violin 1 Solo’ or ‘ASO Violin 1 Small Section’.

If you’re into experimenting, why not give it a try – you might like it.
fabiolcati

Post by fabiolcati »

Merv wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:09 pm you can also use ‘User Presets’.
[…]
(an undocumented feature)
[…]
You can label the preset
That's quite interesting, Merv. How to access it?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

The first step is to open your Library Panel (far left on your Control Bar) and while holding down your CTRL key mouse click in the empty bottom portion. A small dialog will appear that gives you two choices 1) Save Current Track as a User Preset… and 2) Save Selected Tracks as a User Preset…. Now that you know about this feature and how to do this you’re basically set to go. Close out your Library Panel.

You can proceed to load your instrument(s) then go to your Inspector and assign Expression, Articulation and Dynamic instructions based on your orchestral library of choice. You don’t need to put any notes or other notational elements on your track. Everything is done in your Inspector Panel.

Here is a simple starting example: Opening a Basic ‘Treble Clef’ Template is a good place to start. It’s a bare-bones treble stave that you can load your BBCSO solo violin patch on. When you’ve set all your keyswitch instructions you can now save this track as a named preset in your Library Panel. From there you can expand and explore all the possibilities available to you.

You can now open a blank template and pick and choose the instruments you wish to use in your current project. Just drag the preset onto your score page at the location you want it. If you’re using different libraries for the same instrument that’s no problem. As long as you have the computer resources available to you and you have the presets all set up you can jumble and mix&match instruments to your hearts content and put them in any order you want.

Your DAW will do the same thing as will VEP. If you choose or prefer to work within the Overture environment for your music writing projects, then presets and/or templates are the way to go. I do it this way because it’s super convenient.

I hope this helps.
fabiolcati

Post by fabiolcati »

Absolutely terrific.

Such a useful feature. Should be documented.

Thank you Merv!
Last edited by fabiolcati on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeBeginner

Post by LeBeginner »

PeteFine wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:03 pm There isn't a way to save your keyswitch settings that I know of, but what I do is reuse a previous piece that has all my settings, delete all the notes, and rename it the new score.
Hello Peter, It seems to be a good idea... I was already thinking of a full template tu use like this.
LeBeginner

Post by LeBeginner »

Wow Merv... sounds good to my ears !!!
I'll try that tonight...
Why such an important function like this one is not documented ? It's a must have with VST libraries.
LeBeginner

Post by LeBeginner »

Merv wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 am
You can now open a blank template and pick and choose the instruments you wish to use in your current project. Just drag the preset onto your score page at the location you want it. If you’re using different libraries for the same instrument that’s no problem. As long as you have the computer resources available to you and you have the presets all set up you can jumble and mix&match instruments to your hearts content and put them in any order you want.
Hi Merv,

I relleay appreciate your help.
found the way to create and save the user preset, but I did'nt foind the way to call it back is Overture. Can you please give more details on the way to use these presets...
Best Regards
fabiolcati

Post by fabiolcati »

LeBeginner wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:20 pm Hi Merv,

I relleay appreciate your help.
found the way to create and save the user preset, but I did'nt foind the way to call it back is Overture. Can you please give more details on the way to use these presets...
Best Regards
Fabio here.
Preset are listed on the left, "Instrument Library" panel, "Instruments" section, instrumet family folders listed below should include "User Presets".
If you saved yours in Overture default path, they are there.
Hope it helps

Best
Schermata.png
Schermata.png (81.11 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Last edited by fabiolcati on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeBeginner

Post by LeBeginner »

Yes! I just found and I was back here to tell it.
Excellent solution to work with Keyswitches.....
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Thank you, Fabio, for answering LeBeginner’s question. I wasn’t exactly sure what it was that he was asking.

Simply drag the file from the library pane onto a blank area of the score sheet with the mouse in the approximate location where you want it to be. Or, it you already have empty General Midi staves in place you can place the file on top of the stave. Overture takes care of the hard work.

Your DAW or VEP will give some semblance of order to what otherwise can be a very disorderly process in regard to doing the same thing over and over again. In Overture, Don took that basic design concept and turned it into a workable solution that is very flexible and simplifies things immensely (which is a hallmark of the way that Overture does things).