...import scores from Overture 2 for Mac?

This is where you ask specific questions on how to use Overture.
revjake

...import scores from Overture 2 for Mac?

Post by revjake »

Through sheer luck and a professor who kept good backups, I've got Overture files from some pieces I wrote back in the mid-90s getting my composition degree.

I'd love to be able to pull them into modern scoring software - is there any way to recover them short of finding a 25-year-old Mac, installing Overture 2 and printing them out?
TenorAlan
Super User

Re: ...import scores from Overture 2 for Mac?

Post by TenorAlan »

Hi, r,
revjake wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 amThrough sheer luck and a professor who kept good backups, I've got Overture files from some pieces I wrote back in the mid-90s getting my composition degree.

I'd love to be able to pull them into modern scoring software - is there any way to recover them short of finding a 25-year-old Mac, installing Overture 2 and printing them out?
The best way I know of to port scores from Overture is to have Overture generate a MusicXML file and then import them into, say. MuseScore.

But of course you would need to have an operative version of Overture to do that.

I don;t know how many scores are involved, but if it not large, maybe someone here would be kind enough to generate the MusiccXML files from them for you.

A warning" there can be some oddities in how Overture encodes scores into MusicXML, and there are some oddities in how various modern scoring software programs import MusicXML files, so the resut of the portage usually needs some mop-up. Several of us here are familiar with parts of that.

Best regards,

Alan
Don
Site Admin

Re: ...import scores from Overture 2 for Mac?

Post by Don »

Attach a score that will not open and we'll look into it.
Don
Leader of the Band