[Solved]Timp Rolls

Report problems, bugs, etc.
PeteFine
Super Man

[Solved]Timp Rolls

Post by PeteFine »

Has anyone been able to trigger the two Timp sounds- normal hits and rolls? ASO Timp shows D0 for rolls and C0 for hits. I have tried setting OV's "tr" to those keyswitches, as well as D1, and D-1. Nothing gets triggered, unless I manually change it on the virtual keyboard in kontakt.
Score attached if needed...
Attachments
Symphony No. 6 Mvt II.ovex
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 155 times
PeteFine
Super Man

Re: Timp Rolls

Post by PeteFine »

Aha! I can get it to work if I use the 3 slashes, as you would use for tremolo in bowing. But this is incorrect notation. "tr" is correct.
I believe this was mentioned by others but I just now ran across it using ASO.
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

Timpani sounds.ovex
(68.39 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
Hi Pete. Check my settings (in Overture), library instrument selection (ASO), and also settings in Kontakt. Either method of notating a trill is correct AFAIK.

Edit: I meant tremolo (or roll).
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

Merv,
In your score there are no keyswitches selected when I open the trill edit box, yet I hear it rolling correctly. I don't see how it can produce the roll without a keyswitch... Why is it working?
Merv
Super User

Post by Merv »

In ASO I use the ’09_Timpani Hits and Rolls’ sample which has no provision for keyswitching yet works well. On the other hand, the ‘08_Timpani’ uses keyswitches which I find confusing to use in this sample. I generally stick by what is easiest and what works best for me whether it be using a different library or a different sample within that library; or using a combination of libraries; or stacking patches one atop another, for example a violin ensemble with a solo violin on the same track. If I don’t like the ‘attack’ given a certain note with the accent mark I’ll double that note in voice 2 to give it the extra emphasis that an accent doesn’t provide. I have lots of little tricks and cheats that I've discovered over the years. Overture is wonderfully versatile in this regard and accommodates my workflow quite nicely.

In most of the libraries that I own I find that the timpani is sadly anemic. ASO isn’t too bad though and I voiced that opinion in a post from about the time that ASO was released - actually I think I mentioned the guitar patch too (very nice BTW).

I apologize for digressing (something I tend to do nowadays).
PeteFine
Super Man

Post by PeteFine »

I have aso used the "2 voices is better than one" approach to attacks... in GPO I could not get much clarity and oomph from the timpani unless I did that.
Interesting that the ASO "hits and rolls" works better.. I will try it.
Thanks again.