5.0.5 – Enhancements and fixes
May 11, 2016
NOTE: You must have previously installed the 5.0.4 update to use this patch.
- Fixed Mac crashes caused by Magic Mouse and Track pad.
- Fixed problem when deleting slurs that shortened notes under the slur.
- Fixed problem when using Aloisen Groove font on Mac, ledger lines were not printed.
- Fixed several crashes in reading and writing MusicXML files and added the ability to read guitar tablature. There is still more work to be done.
5.0.4 – Enhancements and fixes
April 16, 2016
NOTE: If you’ve made any changes to the music defintion files (xml files), be sure to back them up! This installation will overwrite them. We can not guarantee that Overture will work with definition files you have altered.
- Song Position information is now sent to VST/AU plugins.
- Made a major change to slur playback.
In the past, when you added a slur, the contained notes’s durations were adjusted to overlap by a certain percentage.
Then when you deleted the slur, the durations were still overlapping.
Now, each note’s duration is now adjusted during playback, and it’s physical duration is not changed by the slur. Therefore when you deleted the slur the notes are played using the original note durations. Also, off values for slur playback are now sent at the end of last note under slur, instead of at the start of the last note.
This had caused a problem with some libraries, like GPO when using auto-legato.
The auto-legato key switch was added to the GPO 4 definition file.
- Added the ability to insert/edit controller data on different voices in Graphic Data view. With All-Voices chosen as the current voice in View menu, Voice 1 is drawn in its color and all other voices are drawn in light grey. Any data entered is entered as Voice 1.
When a single voice is chosen in View menu, the data is drawn in it’s color and all other voices are drawn in light grey. NOTE: Colors are set in Preferences dialog.
- Added the ability to edit Expressions that send controller information in the Graphic View.
- Increased maximum horizontal zoom resolution in Graphic Data view.
- Added ‘w’ shortcut key to for Rewind and rewind now goes to beginning of score.
- Added shortcut ctrl[cmd] + shift + ‘i’ to enable/disable Step Input.
- Added key press ‘c’ for selection tool. Shortcuts for Selection, Pencil, Eraser, Hand, Scale, Zoom, tools, can now be set in the Edit Key Commands dialog. Also, these command act as a toggle as in previous version of Overture.
- Added ctrl[cmd] Page up and down to navigate to next and previous page.
- “Paste as cue” in Edit menu now paste the source track name at the start of the paste.
- Added ability to delete tracks using the Eraser tool including Bass clef staves from Piano and Organ tracks. Click on the left edge at center staff line.
- You can now set the Auto Save location in preferences.
- Staves on main score now show Solo/Mute icon when individual voices are set using Track Inspector. “Sv” or “Mv” icon means individual voices are set.
- The default folder location for saving scores has been moved from the Music folder to Documents folder on both platforms. Also when you save or open a file, this folder is no longer changed to that location. The setting is in Preferences.
- Added a menu item to clear solo and mute on all tracks. Right click on any track in main score to show popup menu.
- Fixed Mac crashes caused by Magic Mouse and Track pad.
- Fixed crash when opening some old Overture 4 files on Mac.
- Fixed writing empty MIDI files.
- Fixed several bugs in reading and writing MusicXML files.
- Fixed several crashes related to Inserting measures.
- Fixed problems with score reformating when inserting/deleteing measures, adding multi-rests, etc.
- Fixed problem when reading incorrect chords on old scores. This still need some improvement.
- Fixed problem when imputting chords with MIDI keyboard. This still need some improvement.
- Fixed problem with sending incorrect controller values and voice changes in expressions and articulations.
- Fixed duration playback on expressions.
- Fixed problem with not being able to undo a Multi-rest on master scores.
- Added expressions in palette are now saved in library.
- Fixed playback line not following in Graphic Data view when zoomed in.
- Fixed problem where expression tempo and tempo symbols were inserted on instrument tracks instead of the conductor track.
- Fixed problem where notes were hidden when entering Tempo in Graphic View.
- Fixed some problems with playback of chords.
- Enabled using numeric pad to select note duration.
- Delete track now refreshes the Mixer View.
- The setting to ‘Leave note selected’ in Preferences dialog, now behaves properly.
- In Insert Dialog, changed default track position to be below current track.
- Fixed problem with reading old files containing text/lyrics with non-breaking space and non-breaking dash characters.
- Fixed problem displaying meters set to use alternate fonts.
- Fixed problem with not printing dotted slurs and ties.
- Fixed incorrect image order of sharp and flat in Ornament palette.
- Moved Open Recent menu item to below Open menu item.
- Chords dragged from palette into score are now muted by default.
- Notes entered after a note containing an accidental now contain the same accidental. Works like previous versions of Overture.
- Fixed drawing of Tempo with Swing Eighths.
- Fixed a crash when saving scores in Linear view.
- Fixed problem when drawing some two-byte tracks names in Track Inspector panel.
- Fixed problem on Mac when trying to change Font in Edit Title and Edit Header Dialog Boxes.
- Fixed crash when clicking on Normal, Fibonacci or Proportional buttons
- Play button popup on Transport now contains “Play in Swing” and behaves correctly.
- Fixed problem with displaying accent characters in Tempo and Track names.
- Fixed problem with creating decrescendo with hairpin tool.
- Fixed problem where dynamic changes in dialog were not made throughout score when “Entire score” check box was checked.
- Fixed problem where hairpins were not entered of tracks below when ctrl[cmd] was pressed.
- Fixed problem where clicking on loop icon always started at first measure. It now starts at current measure.
- Track Inspector is now updated when using right-click popup menu to navigate to next and previous tracks.
- Fixed track playback bug caused by replacing an existing track’s plugin with a different plugin and then undoing or redoing.
- Fixed problem with Auto Save feature that cleared the score’s dirty flag, that prevented checking to save when closing the score.
- Fixed problem that cut off right edge of paper when saving page as image.
- Fixed incorrect guitar fingering number that was off by one.
- Fixed several bugs when entering lyrics containing under lines (melismas).
- Fixed Edit>Merge not working.
- Fixed crash when moving tied notes horizontally.
- Fixed crash when importing some MIDI files.
- Fixed a couple of misspellings in Expressions palette.
- Fixed Snap Pizzicato symbol using wrong font character.
5.0.3 – Enhancements and fixes
January 18, 2016
- Holding down the shift key while step inputting now adds notes as chords
- Articulations added during step input now load correct values.
- Settings in Chord Panel are now saved with score.
- Fixed a few printing problems.
- Fixed a display artifact when using full screen during playback.
5.0.2 – Enhancements and fixes
January 10, 2016
- Fixed crash when clicking in Time View with no score open.
- Fixed no MIDI Device output sound. Finally!
- Fixed incorrect placement of Tremolo markings. (Note you may have to adjust them on any new Score Writer 5 scores).
- Fixed incorrect or no transposition of chords when changing key signatures.
- Fixed a few problems with creating tracks that use MIDI devices, including setting a default bank, incorrect display of device name, incorrect default channel assignment, etc.
- Manually drawing in slurs now readjusts them to a better fit and changes the enclosed notes duration to be 101%.
5.0.1 – Enhancements and fixes
January 10, 2016
- A few of the original Overture 5 Upgrade installs received an invalid serial number. This has been fixed.
- Step Input is almost complete and has a few new features:
1. Step Input now automatically fills in rests.
2. You now can enter the pitch by typing ‘A-G’.
Type ‘+’ to raise pitch a half step, ‘-‘ to lower the pitch a half step, ‘o’ to raise and octave, and shift ‘o’ to lower an octave.
When you enter a pitch the closest octave will be chosen. Eg. If the current pitch is ‘B3’ and you type ‘C’ the pitch would become ‘C4’ not ‘C3’.
NOTE: If you look in Preferences, there is an option to automatically enter notes when you press the pitch key.
NOTE: The up and down arrow keys nudge the last entered note up and down as set in preferences, not the pitch to be entered.
3. There is now an option to automatically add accents and staccato articulations to entered notes.
Click on the Articulation button in Notes Tool palette and choose from the menu or you can type ‘/’ on the numeric keypad for accent or ‘*’ for staccato.
NOTE: This also works when entering with the mouse.
NOTE: This may change a bit in the near future as we finalize the design.
- There is a setting in Preferences for manually drawing slurs using the slur tool. This should have been unchecked as a default to work like previous versions of Overture where your drag a rectangle around the selected notes. Sorry for the confusion.
- You can now add slurs to notes on multiple tracks with one command.
- Fixed crash when clicking on notes in Piano Roll with Eraser tool.
- There is an Opacity setting for dialogs in Preferences>Color tab as requested by some users.
- The sub menu produced by right clicking on a measure now fully works. BTW, the menu items will be changing a little in the future.
- The score no longer switches to Page View and back when saving.
- Adding brackets, braces, etc. from the Bar Lines Palette in Linear view now applies them correctly.
- You can now drag a Graphic line tool. It was very difficult to get the Drag cursor to appear over a straight line.
- Added a quick fix to use the Alt key plus first letter of Top Level menus to open menus for navigation with arrow keys. This is normal Windows behavior.
- Fixed no MIDI output on devices other than the two internal GM Players.
- Fixes coming soon:
1. The Video window only syncs correctly when the start times are all set to 0 in the Score-Time Code settings panel.
2. Adding slurs automatically when step inputting.
3. Instrument definition files for various libraries,