Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm 
Super User

Has anyone subscribed to the Quantum Leap pay by month offer? I'm wondering two things- has it gone smoothly (are the Hollywood series instruments really included and easily downloaded/installed?) and have you had good results with articulations (expressions, etc.) using the default Overture XML's. (I realize OV5 will have much more keyswitch XML functionality). Thanks for all info...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:40 pm 
Super User

Peter,
Remember it is only the Gold libraries that are included in this deal, but this is the core of the product, all of the essentials. Sounds pretty great to me!

Win 10 x64, Intel 4 core I7-4790 desktop, 12 gb RAM.
Sonar Platinum, Roland Integra-7, Garritan (GPO 5, GIO,
Classic Pipe Organs). Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, Kirk Hunter
Ensembles, Kontakt 6, Kontakt 6 libraries, Amadeus SO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 pm 
Super User

The composers cloud works quite will. Mike is correct in that the Diamond versions of some of the libraries aren't included, as they're too large to be a practical download.

Be aware that the Hollywood series are completely different then the EWQLSO, and would require creating your own XML; they won't work with the default.

August Foster 190

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:09 am 
Site Admin

Hey Pete,

I have been using EW PLatinum Plus for longer than I can remember and I have been buying the Hollywood Diamond series over the years as they were steadily released...not via the cloud.

I used to host Platinum Plus samples via KONTAKT inside of Overture 4's VST rack and it worked very well for me. As time went on...I have been hosting the samples (Platinum Plus and Hollywood) outside of Overture 4's VST engine and I have had excellent results "out of box" in using default expressions, dynamics, etc. as well as manipulating them within Overture but also by tweaking and using the scripts that are readily available by the push of a button within PLAY for the samples themselves. For example enabling "Con Sordino" within PLAY enables a script that yes...if you simply write the notes in Overture... set/use your mod wheel...it plays it back with considerable realism and beauty (even without mod wheel for that matter).

You have to make intelligent decisions on which samples you want to work with and also have the power to use them. PLAY and the Hollywood series (Diamond or not) are extremely power/system hungry even when spreading them out with SSDs and say 64GB of RAM across multiple machines. I don't consciously use XML (assuming I am correctly understanding your intention/question for use of XML) and never use key-switches as a conscious workflow choice.

Cheers!

"My goal is your vision."
http://www.deankrommydas.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:51 pm 
Super User

Great info, guys. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 am 

Depending on which one you subscribe to you'll get the Gold or the Diamond libraries. The Play engine is a total beast and it will utterly shred low end machines. Contemplate investing in a half or full terrabyte SSD (Half should be fine for gold) , and look at getting your hands on one of the new AMD threadripper or intel i9 CPUs.

Value for money its spectuacular. Your getting the EastWest equivilent of the sort of libraries you might be paying thousands for if it was VI or Spitfire, but there are downsides too. The Play engine is , as discussed, a real resource hog, compared to Kontakt and Viennas player. And the organization of the libraries is pretty goddamn messy. Theres not a lot of consistency between libraries as to keyswiteches for articulation and the Hollywood libs tend to favor channel switching between patches over keyswitching (But they do have KS patches too).

I do hope Don progresses with the integration for EWQLSO and hopefully one day the Hollywood libraries. Overture + Composer Cloud could really be a total winner of a value proposition for people who want professional quality mockups (or even stuff to pass off as finished with a bit of work) but cant afford $10K+ monster libraries like Vienna.

Frank Zappa once said "Momma dont let your son grow up to be a composer" , because from his perspective the only way to hear your work was to spend hundreds of thousands on hiring an orchestra that might not actually give a sh*t about your music, or invest half a million dollars in a Synclavier (at the time he was around) and support staff.

Now, its plausible to spend a couple of hundred on something like Overture and a respectably small monthly fee on something like Composer cloud. But theres still a bit of work that needs to go into it.