Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 am 

Forgive me if this is super basic, but where is the preference to set the size of dynamic markings/symbols? I found where I can change font size of "cresc" and "decresc" on a case by case basis, but not a global preference so that whenever I insert one it's the same font size.

And I can't find any way to change the size of mp, mf, f, etc. at all (much less set a global preference) except to use the scale tool on an individual basis ... very tedious in a large orchestral score.

Again, maybe it's right under my nose, but I can't sort it out.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:56 pm 

Hello? Anyone home?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 pm 

You actually have answered your own question. To recap…

The only way I know in Ove4 is the scale tool. It works nicely on individual dynamic markings. Since there is no universal way to do your entire score in one fell swoop, you will have to control drag your resized dynamic mark to various new locations in your score while deleting your existing ones, or if you have to cross a page boundary you will have to copy & paste your dynamic to different pages and then control drag your resized dynamics within that page. The alternative is to use your scale tool for each dynamic you want to resize – but you already know that. Sorry buddy, but it sounds like you have a big task ahead of you.

I suppose you could remap some of your dynamic markings with another suitable font, but that presents a whole new can of worms. Works the same in Ove5 AFAIK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:06 am 

Thanks, Merv. This seems like a glaring oversight to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm 

My bad – I misread your post.

On your individual Ove4 scores you can do this… Edit > Select > By Filter > Dynamics. All dynamics in your score will be selected. Then select the scale tool and click on any dynamic. Enter your new scale factor and all of your dynamics in that score will change to your selected size. This is not a universal setting but has to be done on a score by score basis, and it affects all dynamics in your score - something you may not want.

In Ove5 there are 2 ways to perform this function. In addition to the above method, the Edit menu has a Scale menu item that does not exist in Ove4.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 am 

Thanks, Merv!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:46 pm 

Merv wrote:
My bad – I misread your post.

On your individual Ove4 scores you can do this… Edit > Select > By Filter > Dynamics. All dynamics in your score will be selected. Then select the scale tool and click on any dynamic. Enter your new scale factor and all of your dynamics in that score will change to your selected size. This is not a universal setting but has to be done on a score by score basis, and it affects all dynamics in your score - something you may not want.

In Ove5 there are 2 ways to perform this function. In addition to the above method, the Edit menu has a Scale menu item that does not exist in Ove4.

So, I tried this, but after selecting all dynamics, then selecting scale tool, then clicking on one dynamic, only that dynamic changed, none of the others.

In addition to that, I discovered that "undo scale item" does not work ... it's offered in the edit menu, but it doesn't restore the dynamic to its former size. Only re-scaling that dynamic back to 100% works. Annoying little bug.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:48 pm 

Strange. The behavior you describe doesn’t happen here. I’m on Ove4 for Windows 4.1.5 Patch 7 (the last patch and version before Ove5 was released).

All dynamics are selected and resized when applying the appropriate commands. The ‘undo scale item’ in the edit menu works flawlessly for me every time and restores all dynamics to their former size. This is true in both versions of Overture 4 (last patch) & 5.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:11 am 

Maybe an OS thing? I'm using Mac 10.10.3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:18 pm 

Merv wrote:
I’m on Ove4 for Windows 4.1.5 Patch 7 (the last patch and version before Ove5 was released).

How do I determine which patch I'm using?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 pm 

In the menu bar click on ‘Help’. The dropdown will present you with a ‘Help Topics…’ choice and an ‘About Overture…’ choice. Hold down the shift key while you select ‘About Overture’. The resulting dialog box will display the words (about in the middle) ‘Patch 7’ or whatever patch you have. This works on a Windows system, not sure about your Mac though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:54 am 

Mac 4.1.5 patch 7

It must be an OS thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

I just came across this and there is no way in Overture 4, only in Overture 5.