.xml files by Tatsu, slightly amended by me (because I use C3 as base);
    a small tutorial also by Tatsu.

With the following programs:
    Overture (loaded with "placeholders" of EWQL SO platinum+);
    LoopBe30 (virtual midi cabling);
    Cantabile (VST Host with all Keyswitched EWQL SO instruments needed);
    Adobe Audition 3.x for some minor "mastering effects"
    all done using headphones

Oh yes, before I forget, I raised the "pitch range" of the solo cello one whole note (according to my orchestration book this is possible for real virtuosi).

The Rolifer Adagio for Cello and Orchestra (8.25 minutes), dedicated to Ronald Ferguson - composer. All instruments are EWQL SO Platinum+ KS-samples.

Tricks:

Violins 1 doesn't have "harmonics" so on a separate voice I assigned this to Violins 2 (11-violins in PLAY);
Violins 2 doesn't have "pizzicato", so on a separate voice I directed them to Violins 1 (18-violins in PLAY);
Violas doesn't have "harmonics" either, so I did the same trick as above, but set the panning to Violas ofcourse.

MP3 format:

http://www.box.net/shared/static/0uur6tpga2.mp3

Enjoy,

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:19 am 
God of XML

Hi Raymond,

Congratulations! I like the Rolifer Adagio very much. Fulfilling and rounded. What does "Rolifer" mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:05 am 

Hi Raymond

Been listening to your piece for a few days now and I was really uncertain to give you my impressions. I restrain myself from commenting on other people's music 'cause it's a delicate matter and one's taste is always subjective. Plus the fact of linking your piece for others to listen, is in itself, not an easy thing to do (at least I think so). Your piece moved me and I felt like saying somethingā€¦

Even if I play and listen to classical music a lot, my taste usually goes toward contemporary music. Which doesn't necessarily mean that music has to be chaotic to be modern. My own compositions are in between. There's is a lot of contemporary music that I can't listen to anymore. In electronic music you can do whatever you want. But I think a composer must always keep in mind that he's / she's writing for instrumentalists that are human beingsā€¦

So what follows are my personal and subjective impressions, nothing more. I appreciated your adagio and listened / still listen to it with a lot of pleasure. I'm listening to it while I'm writing this. I really like the beginning (the first measures), which I think sets a mysterious atmosphere. And also the ambiguity between which elements will become more tonal and the ones that will (maybe) "disturb" the melodic lines. Like I said I really like the piece, but that's a bit for what I was waiting for when I heard the beginning. More ambiguity between melody and "disturbing" elements. I was waiting for more similar passages like around 3' (great horn parts) then 3'50''.

I like the cello part. I think you really caught the human quality of the cello throughout. The orchestra is subtle and discreet, but it's interventions are well balanced and have "something to say" in relation to the cello. I also like the dialog between cello and strings at 4'46'', just before the cadenza. The ending that starts around 7'38'' is a superb moment of delicacy between cello and orchestra. I would've liked the piece to finish in a less tonal ambiance, a bit like the beginning. But hey, that's only my own modest thought. That being said, I remain persuaded by the fact that a composer must write music that reflects his / her deepest convictions, without any external pressure from whatever trend.

In all, what attracted me to the Rolifer adagio, were the cello lines and the dialog it exchanges with the orchestra. Also the fact that there is a small, but very present, tonal "border line" in which the piece evolves. I cannot pretend to grasp all the subtleties of your work, since I don't have the sufficient theoretical knowledge to put everything in words. But, the other thing that catches my ear is that, in the whole, (for me at least) the adagio has a general trajectory, sort of like an arc. There is an "intention" from beginning to end. My thrill (yours too probably) would be to hear the piece with live musicians. Or will that ever be the case ?

Since I'm not very interested in the sound library side of the piece, here's a few questions (if you don't mind my asking)

Would it be possible for you to link the score ? I'd really like to follow your piece with the score.

How much time did it take you to compose the Rolifer adagio ?

Did you start with the cello idea or an orchestral sketch ? Do you compose at the piano ?

Are you a string player, or do you play any other instrument (s) ?

In regard to your piece. Some parts of it (not to compare) remind me of Henri Dutilleux's cello concerto. Don't know if you ever heard of him. He's in his nineties today. But if ever, it's great music to discover. He's also a composer that never followed any trends. He always went is own way. For me, Dutilleux is, before anything else, a melodist.

Here's the link to part 1 of is cello concerto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIS5tpVM6Sc

The conductor is Marek Janowski. If I remember correctly you understand french, don't you ? Here's a small 40 minutes documentary on Marek Janowski.
http://www.tsr.ch/video/emissions/chut/ ... ut/?page=6

Thanks for sharing.

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)
http://pierrejulien.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:11 pm 
Super User

Pierre, I will come back to your lengthy message soon. Here is the link to the score in pdf format.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/a13a3zce6p.pdf

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:03 am 
Super User

Tatsu Nagao wrote:
Hi Raymond,

Congratulations! I like the Rolifer Adagio very much. Fulfilling and rounded. What does "Rolifer" mean?

Yesterday night I answered this reply, but somehow I forgot to submit it after preview. Thank you, Tatsu, for your kind words. "Rolifer" is just the AKA of one the members of the Garritan Forum and others, with whom I had some discussion about his ( at that time) rather "atonal" pieces, interesting to listen to, but not very inviting to my "old fashioned ears".

His full name is Ronald Ferguson, composer and I believe mathematician. A really nice guy. So RO and FER are there, that LI comes from his middle name (I think).

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:26 am 
Super User

Pierre Julien wrote:
Would it be possible for you to link the score ? I'd really like to follow your piece with the score.
Already answered this, see other reply.

Quote:
How much time did it take you to compose the Rolifer adagio ?
As I did this together with some experimenting on how to achieve the nicests sounds it is hard to say. Notating the notes took just about one week. Experimenting with sounds, Internal Midi streams, etc. took about two weeks. Everything more or less.

Quote:
Did you start with the cello idea or an orchestral sketch ? Do you compose at the piano ?
Normally I compose at the piano - electronic midi keyboard - but since it isn't yet connected to my newly installed system, I did this by eye and ear, notating directly into Overture. Suprisingly, I did this "all in once". Normally I start out with the soloist and fill in the orchestral section later. But somehow it just went almost automatically, setting out the dialogue.

Quote:
Are you a string player, or do you play any other instrument (s) ?
I was a rather skilled amateur pianist, started at the age of four, never had some conservatory education, due to family circumstances, but kept on taking lessons and playing. Later I formed a less formal ensemble with a violinist, cello player, clarinet player. That cello did the trick in my mind and set me to follow lessons. I've had them for two years, but my profession as ICT manager got in the way.... Much later I had to stop the house concerts. My hands were protesting, artrosis. Now, my favorite instruments are my ears and eyes. I also love reading the scores while listening. As Bach said to his students, just read and copy the scores you have, it will give you insight about the "how's and why's".

Quote:
In regard to your piece. Some parts of it (not to compare) remind me of Henri Dutilleux's cello concerto. Thanks for sharing.
Never heard of him, but later this morning I will look and listen.

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 am 
Super User

Pierre Julien wrote:
Here's the link to part 1 of is cello concerto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIS5tpVM6Sc
Amazing piece, must listen to it more than once.

Raymond

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:38 pm 

Hi Raymond

Thanks for the score and the insight. Always curious to hear about other composer's methods. As you did, I always work directly on the score, singing my way through it when I can, with help from a digital piano and overture's playback.

Ahh, playing the cello for some time, did you a favor... Bach was so right. He did a lot of copying of his own, as the legend goes, under candle light, going through Vivaldi and others. Bach was the first composer I came aware of, when I started playing classical music. Even if I "dabble" more in contemporary music, Bach is my idol. And yes, following scores is a great way to learn about composition and orchestration. I devour all the scores I can from Bach to Berio. And now your score will be under R, just after Ravel, not so bad...

Glad your first impression of Dutilleux's cello concerto was good. I didn't know if you'd discard him as too modern. His music is worth discovering. Try his first and second symphonies too.

Last question. Since I will be putting your score on my shelves, do you think I could have an audio copy of the piece, or is it too complicated ? I mean, it would be for my own private use.

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)

Last edited by Pierre Julien on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Super User

Pierre Julien wrote:
Last question. Since I will be putting your score on my shelves, do you think I could have an audio copy of the piece, or is it too complicated ? I mean, it would be for my own private use.

If you don't mind downloading it from:

http://www.box.net/shared/j9zc3d3loh

or

http://www.box.net/shared/static/j9zc3d3loh.wav

Both are wave files, CD quality, about 85 Mb size.

Have fun as I had composing this,

Raymond
[By the way: I don't know if Ronald Ferguson "Rolifer" already heard the piece. I left a notice on his Composer's Forum Website, but since last week no reaction. Maybe the snowstorm in the States......]
[Another one: you also make music. Where can I find it? ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 am 

Raymond63 wrote:
Raymond
[By the way: I don't know if Ronald Ferguson "Rolifer" already heard the piece. I left a notice on his Composer's Forum Website, but since last week no reaction. Maybe the snowstorm in the States......]
[Another one: you also make music. Where can I find it?

Hi Raymond

Thank you very much for the audio file. If you get some news from Mr. Ferguson, let us know what he thinks about your piece.

As for my own music. Since I'm not a professional, up to now I have never been played in public. My first eleven pieces are guitar music, since it was my first instrument. The rest is chamber music, up to chamber orchestra works. Not being in the music field, I must say that I don't "sell" myself very well. I made a few attempts to send my music here and there, but it didn't work out. Last time, I was told that my music was too "controlled". Meaning too classical, I guess.. It's not, but probably not modern enough.

And since, has I said in previous posts, that working with sound libraries seems to be time consuming, all I work with are sounds that are a wee bit better than GM sounds.. But for composing, I don't care too much about the sound quality that comes out. It's just to hear the playback. But that being said, I wouldn't want to link a piece that has a poor sound quality. So until then, I'll put that on hold. Last piece I just finished is a sax quartet for my clarinet teacher, who also teaches saxophone. The quartet is going to be played at a student audition this year. So if ever there's a recording of it and well played, I'll put a link. Maybe, finally, I'll think about investing in a sound library. Or didn't I read in another post that Don was looking to integrate a sound library in a future Overture ?

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes and the library is coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:13 am 

Don wrote:
Yes and the library is coming.

Hey Don

Thanks for the input. I think I even wrote a post in that thread... Forgot about it. I will definetly wait for Overture's library.

Pierre

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Overture 5 (last update)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 am 
Site Admin

This was a cool surprise!

I have heard many of Ron's pieces. He posts almost on a daily basis on the soundsonline forum and has just reached his 100th called "My Cup of Tea:"

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Anyhow - great work on this Raymond and as usual a unique composition with Ron's thumbprint on it... so many thoughtful dashes of color and changes...

http://www.deankrommydas.com

Post subject: Re: The Rolifer Adagio
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:54 pm 

Raymond, I'm actually a student of his at a school for kids with special needs and he's an awesome guy and a GREAT composer. His music is awesome. :)