Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:05 am 
Super User

Few month ago I started a work, called

novajor/once.upon.a.time
introduction.&.8.fairytales.4.guitar.&.orchestra

Myths about the mysterious state of NOVAJOR, a fantasy land represent the starting point and the content of the suite.novajor/once.opon.a.ti­me, 8 fairy tale for guitar and Orchestra. The rise of NOVAJOR and the fall of the Empire, live on in those dark legends, which are spread by the game men at Court, warriors on the campfire and juggler on festivals. NOVAJOR is long gone, but 8 fairytales for guitar and Orchestra carry our thoughts far away in a legendary world.

Each movement is dedicated to another international guitar player.

Below the introduction, which is dedicated to the french guitar performer Thibault Cauvin:

0.prologue/the.downfall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaMAEiebVHQ

I want to overwhelm anyone. But who cares - here's the link to a playlist of the entire suite:

playLIST novajor/once.upon.a.time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaMAEiebVHQ&list=PLf0NNFan7B28hgXVYUmirLUmt8-q6OXIA

Have fun,
:-) Jovan

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:26 pm 
Super User

Jovan, this takes some time. May I come to this work later? I had some short previews of it and the first impression was that this is demanding full attention.

Greetings,

raymond

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:47 am 
Super User

Thanks for your attantion, Raymond.
For sure it will take some time to listen to the Legends of Novajor.
More than 20 years I collected ideas, topics and notes for this Project.
In January 2014, the time had come to start the composition.
And I finished the work two weeks ago.
Now I feel a little burned out!

:roll: Jovan

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:07 pm 
Super User

Proloque. I listened twice. The few bars introducing the piece set me on the wrong feet. I was surprised suddenly hearing a great guitar piece. Ok, you said so in the text, but still those two moods are completely different. The whole prolque gave me the idea of listening to a troubadour, telling and singing the story. The only things that annoyed me a bit was the lack of variation. Over and over again the same rhythm, motivs, as if that storyteller doesn't want us to know the dramatic highlights. He keeps a calm and steady way of telling. I didn't look at the pictures, it is all about the music, but when you change it (go over to another chapter within the proloque) I had glance and saw some text passing by which wasn't in the music.

There is plenty of room without too much work to give this proloque a bit more drama, just skip some instruments, e.g. a bassoon together with that guitarplaying(which is really great) gives some feeling of emptyness you probably wanted to lay down in the notes. An occasional trumpet sound, a bit more timpani rolls underlining the "rolls" of the guitar. You will be surprised when you have a timpaniroll together with (sometimes I felt carried away to Andalucia.....e.g. at 3:20) those flamenco-like guitars. At 7:44 you start again with some phrases form the beginning. A bit overdone, just skip to 11:10 and work out that little drama with the gong........ I loved those tremolo strings.... mystic moods and the flutter of the flute.

Tomorrow the next part.

My humble opinion,

Raymond
[PS Burned out in Vienna? No way, not possible ..haha]

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:43 am 
Super User

Thank you for your detailed comment, Raymond. I think it's great that you pull yourself under the effort, listening the whole composition and after that going into detail.

Of course, I must give you some points right. Although I will not go into detail at the moment.
But importend to know: I wanted to create a stand-alone Opus. Tales that neither reminiscent of Sheherazade or other works of a similar nature.
Each of my tales is dedicated to a different guitar player from another country. The prologue goes to Thibault Cauvin from France, and Thibault has accepted the dedication with gladness.
The works will be premiered at guitar festivals. Each with another. Large orchestras are not feasible because of cost reasons.
Therefore I have consciously a very reduced style for the compositions elected.

The first step was easy once to clear my head of all these ideas. The fine tuning will be hard work. And like I'm going to consider on this occasion one or the other your advice, Raymond.

All the best, and thank you again.

BTW: And it is true all These fairytales are legends told by the troubadour "Vajor from Or".

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:58 am 
Super User

I cannot tell you how much I love this piece and its accoutrements, simply outstanding! It is a class act, and oh, so enjoyable to listen to. I am unsure of what you expended your greatest energy on, the wonderful and inventive graphics or the creation of the very listenable music. Regardless, it was supremely inventive. Either can stand alone as a masterpiece and product of a carefully conceived and whimsical imagination.

One minor complaint is that you did not stray far from your original theme. What I heard were mostly variations – inventive, yes, but for the most part, predictable.

I salute your talent and will revisit your previous works. BTW, I do not post on YouTube. As a fellow creator of music this site seems the most appropriate venue for my comments.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:02 am 
Super User

Merv wrote:
I cannot tell you how much I love this piece and its accoutrements, simply outstanding! It is a class act, and oh, so enjoyable to listen to. I am unsure of what you expended your greatest energy on, the wonderful and inventive graphics or the creation of the very listenable music. ...

I am pleased, Merv, that you like this kind of music. Thank you. So I have done my job. Because my goal was (with "suite.novajor") to write music that brings joy to the audience and to the guitar performers. Nothing else!
My - now 90 years old - composition teacher commented these pieces with: "Jovan, we may not compose like this way! It is too beautiful to be true. This is not serious music!"
With this, my composition, he sees his job as a teacher met:

"virus.6" performed by Rosa Franziska Maier
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZk2bS4PZvU
[/url]

The pitch is: nobody wants to play, just a few they want to hear!

Thank you, Merv.

BTW 1: Most of the time I spent with composing. The pictures of the fairy tale has chosen my son Oskar Marijan (13 years old). He is a gifted flutist, but also gifted Internet gamer.

BTW 2: Youtube can be a problem. A user wrote to "2.the.enchanted.castle": "THIS SHIT IS AMAZING!"
I have deleted the comment, it came back. I deleted it again. It came back ...
My son suggested: "Let him stand It is a great comment.!"
The youth sees it differently. So I let the comment stand.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:52 am 
Super User

No. 1.

This filled up with a lot of variations and surprising orchestration. Excellent guitar playing! After the intro you introduced a kind of dance, which I like very much. Now the prophecy is playing..... going over into the Island with a great mood and melody. Are they all variation of each other? I think so. Emphasizing:this whole piece breathes some joy with a twist of fate, but joy dominates. The ending, last few bars, surprised me. Short, fierce. I liked this part very much.

BTW. You must have liked the movie Avatar? Or not...... looking at the pictures

Raymond

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:11 am 
Super User

1.once.upon.a.time.in.novajor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_cVZ0f7SY

Raymond63 wrote:
No. 1.

This filled up with a lot of variations and surprising orchestration. ...
... BTW. You must have liked the movie Avatar? Or not...... looking at the pictures

Raymond

Dear Raymond,
I have tried to use their own topics for each fairy tale. But the themes are all related to each other. In order to let everything look like a unified whole.
The Dance after the INTRO is a kind of Gigue!

I like the movie Avatar. We have a Blue Ray at home, and my son and I listened it very often. And Oskar choosed most of the Images which I used in the Video.

Again thanky for your comment.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:40 pm 
Super User

Now listening The Enchanted Castle. Here I find the "building" of better architecture. Only I can't find any "echanting" it is so filled with joy, the guitar against the orchestra. And those dance rhythms! At the end you have something as a Dies Irae. Not too obvious but present. Jovan, I cannot comment on the structure, but when performed in reality this piece must invite for an applaus.

Nice music,

Raymond

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:05 am 
Super User

2.the.enchanted.castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7sfs_o2bU

Raymond63 wrote:
Now listening The Enchanted Castle. Here I find the "building" of better architecture. Only I can't find any "echanting" it is so filled with joy, the guitar against the orchestra. And those dance rhythms! At the end you have something as a Dies Irae. Not too obvious but present. Jovan, I cannot comment on the structure, but when performed in reality this piece must invite for an applaus.

Nice music,

Raymond

I understand that you cannot comment the structure of most of these fairy tales, Raymond.
Because I just write down my idea and then arrange the notes a little! All kidding aside. I do not always, but especially in the suite Novajor it seemed appropriate to do so. My primary objective in this work was simply to give pleasure to the audience .
Maybe at the end you may hear something as a Dies Irae. It was not planned. But we all areinfluenced by the music with which we have grown up. Subconscious.
Thank you have you heard this movement, Raymond. Your comments are very valuable to me!

:) Jovan