Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:16 pm 
Super Man

Forum Friends,
This is my 13 minute orchestral work, A Day in September, inspired by both the tragedy and ensuing heroism and sacrifice of 9/11. Composed in 2001, the piece was performed in 2002 (a terribly under-rehearsed performance unfortunately). I revised the orchestration recently, of course in OV4, and with GPO. I decided to put some visuals to it and post it on You Tube as a multimedia work (especially for those in the general population who may not have the patience for purely orchestral music :shock: I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdxWJ1HYZVM

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pete,

I finally had a little time to hang out on the demo page today and was surprised no one commented on this yet. I apologize for a horrendous delay.

First... what an undertaking....13 minutes of symphonic writing...no easy task...and of course to sustain interest...

Your piece is quite ominous yet honorable/heroic/hopeful in many respects...which I believe is as you intended it to be...and rightfully so. The subject matter certainly surrounds all those emotions and "spirit."

The thematic material and feeling in the first couple minutes called to mind one of my many favorite film scores..."Cape Fear" by one of the greatest...Bernard Herman.

I appreciated the shifts away from the ominous and introductions to the heroic, and more hopeful sections...like at 8:30 for instance. The fact that you return to the original thematic material roughly 10:15...as we began...and also ending on a minor...reminds us..or at least me... to "Never Forget"...which I thought was great choice.

Overall you tell the story very well through your music...and I thought it was a very impressive endeavor.

Be well and sorry again for the awful delay,

~Dean

http://www.deankrommydas.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:44 pm 
Super Man

Dean,
Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and musically astute "review"! I appreciate it very much. It is even more meaningful coming from a fellow (and very talented) composer.
Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:48 pm 
Super Man

Oh, and also.... I am a big fan of Bernard Hermann as well although, believe it or not, I have not seen Cape Fear! I will have to check it out.
Pete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Pete,

Thank you for the really kind words. I enjoyed it and look forward to what you may have coming next.

Yes - you gotta check out Cape Fear...if not both versions go for the more violent and disturbing Scorsese/Deniro duo version...they still use Herman's fantastic theme and guess who else is part of the score...Elmer Bernstein.

If you haven't listened to the original theme yet...here you go.

http://www.deankrommydas.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:25 am 
Super User

PeteFine wrote:
Forum Friends,
This is my 13 minute orchestral work, .......
Pete

Very well designed and composed! Must habe been a very rainy & stormy day at September! Bravo!
*v* Jovan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:04 am 

this is a tightly argued piece which I found quite haunting (and I'm sure the impact would be much more with a real orchestra or a decent sound library). It's not been in my nature so far to comment musically on public events but I think this is a really sensitive response.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:29 pm 
Super Man

David,
Thank you very much for listening. I had never before written a piece music to a specific "program" but at the time it just sort of happened. I tried unsuccessfully to have the work, in it's revised form, performed on a September concert by various orchestras who didn't even have the time to listen (a sad state of affairs with the music industry in general)
Selecting the many photos from google searching was an emotional experience as I had not revisited the actual inspiration for the music in many years, until I got the idea to present it on You Tube.. Anyway, I appreciate the comments.