Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

WIN:
MAC:

Improvements
• The number of controller events sent on hairpins has been reduced to help CPU load. If this causes a problem, please let me know.
• Added a playable Laissez vibrer Tie to Notes menu.
• Added the ability tilt all selected hairpins. Use alt[option] down or up arrow to change the angle .
• Increase measures on system now works when Measures per System is set in Active Parts panel.
• You can now add a default track from the Add Instrument dialog, when no library is selected.
• Improved the Set Meter dialog to eliminate many recalc problems and beaming problems.
• Improved reading old file capabilities.
• Added an entry for Expressions font in Music Font settings.
• Added a Score Panel setting to automatically add cautionary accidentals when needed from previous measure.
• Added the ability to display an accidental on trills. The accidental is automatically handled by Overture.
• Improved MusicXML reading and writing of several items like Title Page text, tempo, dynamics, hairpins, etc.. These are done according to the 3.0 spec.
• Overture now assigns MIDI channels on MusicXML files that did not have them and chooses track images to match the instrument-sound.
• Improved vertical spacing problems when importing old Overture files.
• Added ability to change the scale of clefs through entire track or score using the Set Scale dialog.
• Added a warning dialog when changing Piano staves to normal staves about deleting symbols on the lower staff.
• Added the ability (in Tracks menu and right click menu) to split a Piano Staff into two separate tracks.
• In the Music Font Settings dialog (Score Panel), text fonts are now only replaced if the font changes and the check box is set.
• Added support for BopMusicSMFL and Petaluma font instead of Aloisen Groove. Click on the Middle button in the "Choose Score Fonts" dialog. This is a temporary fix until Overture 6.
• Added always showing of secondary track names even when edge of staff is not showing when zoomed in.
• Added direct support for RealScore fonts.
• Added ability to change two eighth notes to dotted eighth/sixteenth notes without additional rests being filled in.
• Changed process to restricted the dragging of elements using the Hand Tool to only be available when the Alt[option] key is down.
• Improved playback of swing eights.
• Improved dragging of tied notes on the score and in data view.
• Improved opening of Overture 2 scores.
• Added a Scale factor in Edit Title dialog for additional pages.
• Added ability to add fermatas by lassoing multiple notes.
• Added ability to add arpeggios to notes when Copy/Pasting and Notes on Tablature tracks.

Fixes
• Fixed bug introduced a few versions back that did not placed Rehearsal text in conductor track, causing problems with auto increment and extracting parts.
• Fixed bug that did not show accidentals on chords using a capo.
• Fixed bug that sometimes caused a crash when generating tab from existing notation.
• Fixed bug that did not import correctly the "forward" element correctly in some MusicXML files.
• Fixed bug that did not import correctly the "octave shift" in MusicXML files with a second staff of a piano track.
• Fixed bug that did not notate notes smaller than an eighth note when step inputting.
• Fixed bug that did not set the font properly on MusicXML files with Chinese text, where the font was not set for the text.
• Fixed crash bug when deleting all measure to the end after decreasing measures on a system.
• Fixed a bug that showed two of the same accidental on unison notes in different voices.
• Fixed playback bug on tablature staves where parent staff had playback transposition set to 0.
• Fixed but that did not save shift-dragged title line vertical position setting.
• Fixed bug that prevented some context menu commands on tablature staves.
• Fixed bug that incorrectly set beam height on pasted notes.
• Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect accidental when changing a mid measure clef.
• Fixed a bug that caused an incorrect accidental when step inputting.
• Fixed several bugs that did not handle MusicXML files transposing tracks.
• Fixed a bug that duplicated lyrics on notes that had another note in a different voice at the same beat.
• Fixed a bug that caused the insertion to jump to far forward when imputing melismas in real time.
• Fixed problem that prevented whole rests in two different voices from being automatically centered.

• Fixed bug that placed meters on the left side of double barlines.
• Fixed element spacing problems when a meter contains a key signature and a meter.
• Fixed bug that when entering the first note destroyed the end points of several items like hairpins, ottavas, etc.
• Fixed a bug on ottavas that extended onto the next system, that caused the end to grow a bit when the main part was dragged vertically.
• Fixed a bug that forced system text to the top staff after editing when it was entered on a lower staff.
• Fixed bug that caused cursor to disappear on the bottom staff of a piano system and after entering title text on a blank page.
• Fixed bug that caused the wrong key switch to be sent at note end when there are two key switches in a row.
• Fixed several major rebar bugs from previous version.
• Fixed bug that prevented clefs from being dragged to right edge of measure.
• Fixed grace note pasting bug that flipped note head on wrong side of stem.
• Right side system separations is now saved with score.
• Fixed a problem that prevented Key Signature cancellation accidentals in some cases.
• Fixed bug that caused a crash when deleting last measure of score.
• Fixed bug that did not immediately display deleted customized expressions.
• Fixed problem that printed accidentals in Score Titles way too small.
• Fixed bug that flipped stems when moving a beam in some cases.
• Fixed problem that caused zoom level to revert when undoing.
• Fixed playback accuracy of attack settings for articulations.
• Fixed problem with copying and pasting graphics that caused the endpoints to be incorrect.
• Fixed staccato dot placement in tablature staves.
• Fixed some tablature note alignment issues related to its parent staff.
• Fixed tablature staff causing parent staff barlines to be drawn the wrong length.
• Fixed problem that altered beam angle when dragging notes in a tablature staff.
• Fixed Notes to Tablature bug that caused slurs on parent staff to be removed.
• Fixed a crash when dragging lyrics horizontally a far distance.
• Fixed a playback problem with notes step entered with the "played velocities" setting.
• Fixed paste problem that did not allow for different clefs.
• Fixed max setting in Note Filter dialog.
• Fixed right-click context menu items that did not work.
• Fixed dragging tied notes issues in the Data View.
• Fixed problem that broke ties when dragging chord members with ties past another note head.
• Fixed issue when recording separate hands on piano systems.
• Fixed problem that incorrectly placed parenthesis on sus chords when Alterations and extensions parenthesis were set in the chord panel settings.
• Fixed problem that caused newly created slurs to have a big hump in some situations.
• Fixed problem that prevented keyboard in Piano Roll not to scroll.
• Fixed problem that did not display a cautionary accidental on notes following a previous note with accidental.
• Fixed crash when trying to edit Group Names.
• Fixed problem that deleted exiting controllers when recording a different controller in Data View.
• Fixed a crash when entering (Asus7-9) chord using MIDI keyboard.
• Fixed problem that prevented using Alt+ and Alt- on systems that involved multi-measure rests.
• Fixed bug that did not reset transpose setting in track inspector on undo.
• Fixed bug that caused cue notes to be drawn in grey color.
• Fixed a crash when loading some bad MIDI files.
• Fixed problem where Lyric font was not updated in Lyric Panel when loading scores.
• Fixed a few instrument ranges in GM and Kontakt Factory Library sound maps.
• Fixed issue that prevented you from changing the last barline is the default setting was to show a Final barline.

Here is the first test version.
I apologize for the previous release as it was quite buggy and it took a long time to find out why.
This release is much more stable and I think you'll like it.

Anyway,
There is a lot here in this upcoming release so I ask to only test and respond the the issues listed above.
The one thing missing is tuplets like 13:8. They basically don't work yet but will be addressed this week while testing is going on.
Also can someone please test MusicXML import/export. I have a lot of work but have not test a lot of different files.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:52 am 
God of Transposition

Windows 10
Audio/MIDI>Scan VST2 Plugins
*5.6.2 goes through the search.
*As it should, it crashes when it finds a "bad" VST.
*So I re-launch.
*It stops on Garritan/Aria Player Multi VST_X64.dll.
*That .dll is added to the blacklist.
*I scan again.
*It crashes every time on Garritan/Aria Player Multi VST_X64.dll, even though it's in the blacklist
*So I can't add any more VSTs beyond that.
*It also crashes on the Garritan Abbey Road Pianos .dll WITHOUT adding it to the blacklist.
I've temporarily renamed those two & will keep trying
*And why does it blacklist Kontakt 5?
*It also crashes on several others without adding them to the blacklist.
*I'm going to rename them for now, but will need to change them back as I use other programs.

Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 am 
Site Admin

I have uploaded a new release (5.6.2.1) with the accidental problems fixed.
I have removed most the posts about the the new version so we can start over.
MusicXML play durations are now exported and imported.

Snorlax,
I can't duplicate your problems and the plugin code has not been touched for 6 months, so I don't know what the problem is.
If you can look into it and maybe come up with some clues.

Please post bugs with the new release in this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:15 am 
Super Man

Installed new release 5.6.2-1
When I check the version in About Overture 5, it still says 5.6.2-0
The exe file in my Sonic Scores folder does, however show June 10 as the creation date so I know it's the right one but it would be nice to see it in About Overture 5.

In addition, the cautionary accidentals still don't work.

Key of C. Entered a measure of C#'s. Next measure starts with C natural so the cautionary should show but it does not. My Preferences have Cautionary and Parenthesis checked.

Attachment:
9.png
9.png [ 37.1 KiB | Viewed 20421 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:27 am 
Super Man

From your response earlier, I tried the tie functions.
; ties correctly
Shift ; does nothing
Alt ; opens the Laissez Vibrer menu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:30 am 
Super Man

Just noticed that the cautionaries DO work in keys other than C, but not in C as previously posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 am 
Super Man

Another oddity...
After moving some measures around (Alt + / Alt -), I set the number of systems per page to 3 and measures per system to 4. Here is what I got.

I'd also like to suggest (in the name of User-Friendliness, especially new users) that the Layout Window option to set these parameters NOT be under Active Parts, but instead under the main Layout. It has nothing to do with Parts and users would not expect to find it there.

Attachments:
10.png
10.png [ 225.6 KiB | Viewed 20417 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:46 am 
Site Admin

Pete,

When you wrap measure left and right it puts a lock at both ends of the system.
This is stated in the manual, as usual.
So you'll need to delete the lock (the light blue arrow looking thing) at both ends of the system.

Also check your key commands for the shift ; to see if it's for the Laissez vibrer ties.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:14 pm 
Super Man

My key commands show Alt ; for Lessaiz Vibrer

I have never (since day 1) changed any key commands so that has to be default.

thanks for the measures...locked... explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Well the default is shift ;, but what ever works for you if fine.
I have reworked the cautionary accidentals routines and it was a bear, but I thing the next release will have it.
I moved the Cautionary preference to the Score Settings, which makes more sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:45 pm 
God of Transposition

Don Wrote...
Snorlax,
I can't duplicate your problems and the plugin code has not been touched for 6 months, so I don't know what the problem is.
If you can look into it and maybe come up with some clues.

Well, this is odd. I have two computers with the exact same version of windows and the exact same VSTs in the exact same folders.
I moved my installation from the one I was on to the other one, and the VST scan procedure worked fine.
So I'll leave O5 on the machine on which it works :lol:
But one question: Is there a way to identify incompatible VSTs WITHOUT crashing Overture? Some kind of error trap? I had to do a LOT of restarts!!
Jim

Yamaha 642-II NEO and Yamaha 321 euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 baritone, blue pBone, Conn 50H trombone

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 am 
Site Admin

That is very strange. Maybe some anti virus software or something like that.
Anyway, I am glad you are up and running.

There is no way with Overture 5 to prevent the crash, because the crash actually occurs in the plugin.
Overture 6 will address this better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:34 am 
Super Man

In your fix notes, it states- • Added the ability to display an accidental on trills. The accidental is automatically handled by Overture.
I don't see any accidentals (where they would be needed) when I place a trill. For instance, using the major trill symbol on B natural in the key of C, (trilling between B and C#) there should be a # sign after the trill, shouldn't there? Did I misunderstand the statement?

Also, just an aside-
In the ornaments palette, the two trill symbols say major trill and minor trill, but they can both be changed to either in the edit trill box when you double click, so that seems redundant.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 pm 
Super Man

Another bug-

Attachment:
21.png
21.png [ 47.97 KiB | Viewed 20256 times ]

Insert measure after current one and change time signature for that 1 inserted measure.

Attachment:
22.png
22.png [ 54.75 KiB | Viewed 20256 times ]

OV adds another measure

Attachment:
23.png
23.png [ 59.07 KiB | Viewed 20256 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:07 am 

When I download 5.6.2.2 and install it, the exe is still dated November 26, 2019, and is still 5.6.1-1 -- I've even deleted the exe and reinstalled -- no change. What am I missing here, Don? (Windows 10-64, btw.)