Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:40 am 

TenorAlan wrote:
V:
Vassilis wrote:
Some remaining in OVE 5.6.2-3 (of lesser importance):
1. Active parts/ Use alternate meter on parts. I would expect to see the alt. meters in Extracted Parts, which is not the case.

Here, if Use alternate meter font on parts is ON, then, on the extracted part, the meter is shown in the alternate font (as well as when we are viewing the part in Active Parts).

Alan

Alan hi. Have you tested it? Because I've tested it several times with no success. Neither "Use alt. meter font in parts", nor "Multi-measure rest/show range" are working with Parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 am 
Super User

Attachment:
Tremolo Ditti.ovex [7.54 KiB]
Downloaded 94 times

On a different topic, please consider this…

For the sake of notational ‘consistency of presentation’ please correct the code that permits the second note of a tremolo pairing to be greyed out. While printout is correct, it is unnerving to see on our computer screen the second note of a tremolo greyed out. This should be a simple fix, don’t you think?

In my enclosed ‘Tremolo Ditti’ look at every second note of these tremolo pairings. For what conceivable reason is the second note greyed out? Maybe it’s just me, but these kinds of loose ends bother me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:34 pm 

PeteFine wrote:
Brass in meas. 103, for instance.

Found em.

I actually concentrated on the staccato marks in M103 on the violin tracks.

The trailing key switch for an articulation mark set to send a key switch is not sent immediately after the note bearing the mark, but rather immediately before the next note, which might be a ways off (if the note of interest is followed by rests, as in the case of interest).

Testing here suggests that, in the case of interest, it is possible that the fact that the "next" note carries a 32nd tremolo mark screwed up the process, perhaps leaving the staccato articulation in place.

Not all of my findings fit together, though. I will look into it a little more as time allows.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:01 pm 

Well, it turns out that Overture ignores the notes bearing the 32nd tremolo marks (8xG6) insofar as triggering sending the trailing keyswitch for the articulation mark on the G5, but sends the trailing keyswitch properly just before the next note after the group with the tremolo marks (F#5).

So the problem does not seem to be there.

However, this was all based on testing a small excerpt from the score (just the 2nd violin track and only a few measures), so I may have missed the real problem.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:44 pm 

Oh, it is not at all odd that the trailing key switch from the G6 is deferred until after the series of G6s - they carry keyswitches (A1, to to do the tremolo).

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:49 pm 

Pete,

You mentioned that when you play the score again some tracks started out playing staccato. Can you tell me which ones?

Thanks.

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:31 pm 

Pete,

Here is the problem:

In your score, for a part (such as French Horn 2) in which the note/chord bearing the staccato articulation with a key switch does not have any following note to trigger the sending of the trailing key switch, then the trailing key switch (C0, sustains) is sent at the end of the score (or when play is interrupted by the user).

But here, only the Note OFF message for that key switch is sent, whereas it is the Note ON message that the synthesizer actually responds to. Thus for that track the staccato articulation is left into effect, and will affect all the notes in that track from the beginning when the score is played again.

I think I did not find this anomaly in my general testing of key switch behavior for this version, but I might have missed it. (You know, when you get to be over 65 you miss some stuff.)

So, more later.

But at least we know what is going wrong in this score!

Alan

Last edited by TenorAlan on Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:42 pm 

Pete,

No, testing with a simple test score, in fact (as I had reported earlier for an earlier version) the suspending trailing key switch is sent at the end of the score as Note OFF, Note ON, Note OFF.

So I don't know why it behaves differently in your score.

And I am about out of steam!

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:03 pm 
Super Man

Alan,
This erratic (or non-existing) sending of proper note off messages is, as you know, an ongoing problem. I don't know how many updates we will have to live through until it is fixed but it is very tedious. I may be wrong but it seems it is more problematic with ASO than the other library I use, GPO.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:32 pm 

Pete,

I have a fairly good idea as to what property of your score makes the anomaly in the trailing key switch I mentioned earlier show up. I haven't worked out the precise details, and don't have the energy to do so.

In any case, describing it would be a little "wordy", so I can't do it here.

But I'm hopeful that Don will be able to fix it.

By the way, I suspect that the problem is not synthesizer dependent (e.g., ASO vs. GPO vs. GM).

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:25 am 
Super Man

As reported in the normal Bugs forum, but worth repeating here- after zooming in (Ctl/Mouse Wheel) if I undo an edit (Ctl Z), the score reverts back to the previous zoom level.
This is another bug that was reported as fixed.

Don,
I am curious if somehow updates got mixed up or labeled wrong. I know this is highly unlikely but I have to ask because there seems to be one bug after another that were reported as fixed in the previous two release notes that I am reposting as still not fixed.
Something is drastically wrong here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 am 

TenorAlan wrote:
V:
Vassilis wrote:

Have you tested it? Because I've tested it several times with no success. Neither "Use alt. meter font in parts", nor "Multi-measure rest/show range" are working with Parts.

With regard to the alternate meter font matter, yes my report was based on a test here.

I have not yet looked into the multi-measure range issue.But I really don't know what the Multi-measure rest settings on Active Parts do. Could you give me some help there?

Thanks.

Alan

I can't be of much help Alan, except to give you my expectation with regard to "Multi-measure rest settings" on Active Parts. I believe it should apply to the Extracted Parts (as the main score does not usually contain long silence sections). However it does not, so you have to do it manually on every intrument, say, of a symphonic orchestra (quite cumbersome indeed!). Same with "alt. meter font" (allow me to insist on that Alan).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am 

Attachment:
Cello concerto no 1-Flute II.ovex [77.89 KiB]
Downloaded 91 times

Please see the attached Extracted Part file. I 'm referring to the range of measures noted below each multi-rest line. This info should be have been filled-in automatically, not manually as I have done in this file. If I am not clear enough please send me a private message.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:42 am 
Site Admin

The attached score does no good without the master score.
The Master score creates the multi-rests, so I need it in order to check out the part.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm 
Super Man

Trying to understand Vassilis question sand Don's reply...
1st of all, in decades of composing AND reading orchestral scores, I've never seen a multi rest in a conductor (Master in OV) score. It is only used for parts. Maybe that was implied in the last few posts but I thought I would reinforce it.
next, I have never seen the measure numbers indicated in the multi rest, only the number of measures and, possibly, some text above explaining something odd, so I'm surprised at that feature in OV,but it can't hurt...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next