Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:11 am 
Super User

So you want to run third-party samples from other people using Native Instruments' Kontakt Player? Sorry you can not do that with Kontakt Player:
Quote:
Kontakt player IS intended solely for libraries encoded by NI : this means their own libraries and 3rd party libraries that have paid a license fee to have their library produced in kontakt player format, however, the fact is that Kontakt Player and Kontakt are the same software - only the license key is different.

The result of this confusing situation is that you CAN open a normal Kontakt format library ( like the free content that is available) in Kontakt player, and it will run normally for 15 minutes before the demo period times out. After that, you have to re-start and reload the library.

The problem is that there is no way to authorize a non-kontakt player library - it will always time out, so, to summarize -you can open it, and run in demo mode, but you can't get rid of the demo mode !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:56 pm 

And that is why they sell the full version of Kontakt 4. :wink:

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:29 pm 
Super User

That means I use Reason if I need to fill out a score with additional samples. Considering the poor support and bugginess of NI products, I will not spend the money, even if I can put it under budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:23 am 

Actually, Kontakt 4 isn't buggy at all. It's been pretty stable for me and most of the users who write on the NI forum. If you have Kontakt Player already, there is a relatively inexpensive upgrade path. You'd have to check NI's site for more info, though.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 am 
Site Admin

I am with Steve on this one - Kontakt (full version) has worked and continues to work fine for me on PC playing back other company samples...like Project Sam for example and even older Gigastudio sounds I have. I have never really had a major issue with it.

I believe you are on a Mac though right Ron not that it should really matter but results can vary of course.

http://www.deankrommydas.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am 
Super User

My experience has been the opposite from you Win/tel users.
When I start Kontakt AND another player (Aria), suddenly Overture becomes unresponsive. No samples play. If I go into the MIDI setup part of the menu, I suddenly get the generic Quicktime instrument and the other sample players test fine, but when exiting this, still no sound. I must then reboot the machine to return to the previous state, which worked well with Quicktime and Aria player.

Only when I add Kontakt do I get this problem and NI's web forums are not helpful. I had one support guy write me, asking for information and I basically told him to forget it; I was not going to go through a long process of mystification and beta, if not alpha testing.

Reason, at least, never fails and syncs easily with ProTools (much credit to Propellerheads).

PC-88 Keyboard for input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Well what can I say Ron...that does suck. I am curious based on what you described (apart from loading samples from other companies) if you would still experience these issues with the full Kontakt version?

I would rather shell out the money for the upgrade then live with the frustration you are dealing with....but it sounds like even this is not a solution you can get an answer on? I'd be upset if all it took was an upgrade to fix but wasn't able to know for sure.

ANyways - wish I could help you more...and that you find a solution soon. Please post if you do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:00 pm 

Quote:
When I start Kontakt AND another player (Aria), suddenly Overture becomes unresponsive.

While I remember having had these kinds of problems, I did have trouble when I load Overture first, and then Kontakt (as a standalone).

Try loading Overture last. I've been doing it this way for a couple of years now with no problems.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:39 am 
Super User

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I will try this. It would be nice to have something like Kontakt — if it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:39 am 
Super User

I tried starting Kontakt first, then Aria and finally Overture and that combination seemed to work though I have yet to use this with an actual working score so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 pm 
Super User

As an update, I have tried Kontakt 5 with 10.6.8 OSX and this does work - finally.
The demo mode for Kontakt is still a problem though, thus requiring an additional investment but, to be honest, simple is more reliable (for me) so I am sticking with using GPO as a solution since it really works.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:21 am 

Hi
The deals NI has on Kontakt are pretty sweet. But I can't find Kontakt 5 on any major website store. Was Kontakt 5 just never sold individually outside of the NI Store? Or are they pulled off the shelfs to make room for Kontakt 6?

Is this what NI does? Puts stuff on sale, then a month later, new versions come out with $150-$200 upgrade price tags? Kinda making the sale a bit less...of a good sale?
Thanks
website stats

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Not sure on how the sales are being run but on my end...seems to be able to be purchased from variety of locations:

Native Site:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ?page=2529

Or numerous other places:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Buy+Kontakt+5