Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:25 pm 

Kirk Hunter Studios are currently running a group buy until 2 January 2012 on several libraries. If 300 people commit to a purchase of any one of them, the discount achieved will be 75%. (Existing KHS customers can get 10% discounted off that 25%). As of right now, 282 people have signed up.

The libraries and their prices: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/purchase_black_friday.html.

Details of the deal and the libraries: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331086&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

There is a competition for existing users to demo KHS libraries here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331500&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=.

Warning - Kontakt 4 full version is required for all the libraries, except Pop/Rock Strings which will work with the free Kontakt 4 Player. Also, the deal is Download Only - the libraries are *big*.

I have been using Garritan GPO4 but the demos in the contest thread suggests to me that KHS is in a different league. I am minded to get the Pop/Rock Strings - a no-brainer really. However this has some limitations on articulations (eg no Bartok pizz) and does not sample every note, which Concert Strings II do not have, and the discounted price is very tempting. The dilemma is for those of us without Kontakt 4, as this has to be factored into the cost (and probably a hard drive to keep the samples on). However, it seems NI do have short annual sales where Kontakt may be available for 50% discount.

Last edited by coder on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:20 pm 
Super User

Does the KHS ship with a custom version of Kontakt 4 or could one use the samples with a legit copy of version 5?

I notice that the brass samples require the full version of Kontakt:
"Full version of Kontakt 4 or newer, NOT the player-only version that ships with other libraries"

PC-88 Keyboard for input.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:38 am 

I can't give you the definitve answer. You need to consult the long KVR thread (2nd link in the o/p) or, if time is short, email Kirk Hunter. Kirk is quite responsive, and contributes to that thread. The KHS website does contain the information, but navigation is awkward. System requirements are here: http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/req.html

AFAIK the libraries do not ship with Kontakt, but they do rely on Kontakt scripting facilities, which I assume are forward compatible. As the minimum requirement is Kontakt 3.5 or 4 (some discrepancy there), my guess is that the full Kontakt 5 is ok. Likewise the free Kontakt 5 Player (download here: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-player/) will be good with Pop/Rock Strings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm 

ronnb wrote:
Does the KHS ship with a custom version of Kontakt 4 or could one use the samples with a legit copy of version 5?

I notice that the brass samples require the full version of Kontakt:
"Full version of Kontakt 4 or newer, NOT the player-only version that ships with other libraries"

You need to own a full version of KONTAKT 4 or 5 (not the player) for all the Kirk Hunter Studios libraries, EXCEPT for Pop/Rock Strings with works with the FREE KONTAKT Player. Pop/Rock Strings is really a lighter version of Concert Strings II. PRS features less samples per octave than CS II. That said, even Pop/Rock Strings is going to be a huge step up from entry level libraries like GPO or Miroslav in terms of realism and sophisticated automation/KONTAKT coding.

FTR, I advise KHS and helped plan and implement the Group Buy. It's been extended until Jan 2, 2012.

@coder It'd be great if you wouldn't mind updating the thread title to reflect the extended date, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 pm 
Super User

Thanks "edrummist" for the info.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:56 am 

I have Special Edition Vol. 1 Strings and Special Edition Vol. 1 Strings PLUS. Is your naming just a bit different and are we speaking about the same library or is this VSL solo strings standard library something else?

Pass your Pass4sure 220-801 exam exams in first try by using our guaranteed ccna wireless & wikipedia tutorials and best quality The Johns Hopkins Universitydumps along with ccie url and also visit EXIN

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am 
Super User

Alice707 wrote:
I have Special Edition Vol. 1 Strings and Special Edition Vol. 1 Strings PLUS. Is your naming just a bit different and are we speaking about the same library or is this VSL solo strings standard library something else?

Something else. Kirk Hunter is Kirk Hunter and VSL is from the Vienna Symphonic ...... company. VSL has its own players, like Vienna Ensemble Pro, etc.

Raymond