Community

Where Overture and Score Writer users interact
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 am 
Super User

Pete Fine and I have been experimenting with the Articulations/Expressions Edit dialogues.
Pete uses GPO4 and the Aria Player (Multi).xml while I use JABB and a JABB modified Aria Player.xml.

The Articulation definitions in the xml are transferred to the Articulation dialogue box and the Duration changes playback but the Velocity changes don't.
It seems that the Velocity changes aren't appearing in the MIDI stream (they don't show in MIDI Edit or the Graphic Window) and you can't hear them in playback.

Pete doesn't get defined keyswitch names with KS instruments while I get some (Brass) but not with Sax KS (Comb).
(This could be due to the structure of the xml file in my case).
I get the JABB Controller list appearing in the Edit Artic/Expres dialogues but I'm not sure that Pete can see these.

Question Has anyone using these libraries (GPO4 and JABB) had problems with the playback of dynamic changes in articulations (accents in particular)?

Question Does anyone have a fully functioning xml for GPO4 or JABB for Aria Player that they would be happy to share. (or an xml for another player we can adapt).

Regards from OZ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:05 pm 
Super User

As they say in Poker, I'll see you and raise you one....
I've already shared this with Barry, and I really admire and respect you XML manipulators/writers. I wish I had your patience. I'll shortly post a composition or two to share with my composer-brothers here so you can hear what I've done by having separate staves for many articulations- the only way I could get everything to sound properly without spending more time writing code (if even I could) than composing. The scores, of course, are "playback only" scores, and would have to be modified for a live performance.

Getting OV's articulations and dynamic markings to control the most popular Sound libraries should not require a degree in physics/computer programming/criminal forensics...:) Every expression, articulation, and dynamic that OV is capable of should, in today's high-tech software world, be immediately usable- not just there to give to a conductor and players who (bless their hearts) will respond to the markings, but to make listening back to ones works a pleasure. I know you all agree and I look forward to OV5 mostly because I expect these shortcomings to be a thing of the past. Dealing with XML (which I still have very little patience for) can drive a creative impulse out the window (and it's 105F today in Tucson so "out the window" is not a great place to be :D

OV5 will be even more of a blessing if at least 2 or 3 XML's are included upon install that really work "out of the box" perfectly with their respective sound library and then, if needed, can be tweaked.
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:59 pm 

Like for example, if I chose a certain violin sound in the sample library, could I go to the player screen and add certain articulations in the center pane?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

What is a player screen?